REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 07-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Can I get some advice?

Hey guys, I just want some advice because I'm a little confused. Not sexually and I guess I'm kind of in panic mode right now because of my age and where I'm at in life. So I just want some concrete advice!

Here goes, I'm 23 and have spent the last four years in college (Kwantlen) mostly goofing off and not taking it seriously. I did well in high school but after that I never really knew what I wanted to do. I help run the family business and over the years I've become very involved. So much so that I put all my time into it and no time into school and It's wearing me down.

I have 9 credits completed and the last year I've made zero effort. The problem is that I still work while I attend school. If that means 5 classes a semester or 1 I'm still working the same hours which consists of very early mornings (4 am - 8 am) and late nights (6 pm - 11 pm). So when it comes time to study and do well in my classes I can't, I'm never focused.

All this is catching up to me, majority of my friends are now done with school and moving on with a career. I'm not complaining, it is my fault I let this go on for so long because the money is good but I can't picture myself doing this when I'm 30. I don't want to sound like I'm whining I just don't know what to do. I can't get vacation because the business always needs me, I miss out on a lot of events and functions with my friends.

However the flip side, business is good and the payout is good. +/- for everything I guess. I took business administration at Kwantlen and what I've been learning in school is nothing how a real business is run in the "real world". I'm just looking for maybe an idea or path? I'll be blunt and honest, Math, Chemistry, Physics, Biology are not my weak points, I did well in high school but it's not something I enjoy. I can't see myself having a career that depends on those subjects. I'm so confused

Sorry for making this so long and If it's in the wrong section, someone please move it to the right one for me thanks.
Advertisement
em1.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

If your family business needs you, it will be hard to "move on" unless someone else takes over the business. This is as much of a familial problem as it is your own problem. I would discuss this with your father or whoever the "head" of the business is. I am of the conviction that education should be a family priority and you need your workload to come down in order to benefit from school. The first thing you need to do is find out how you are going to have time for school first before you decide what you want to get in. This doesn't matter at all,but just out of curiosity, you were in school for 4 years and you completed 9 credits?
JudeChow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
you went to school for 4 years and did 9 credits? How wern't you kicked out?
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

yeah isnt each course like 3 credits.. that means you did 1 course each year....
haha13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #5
I STILL don't get it

lol probably meant 90 or at least I hope he did
GrapeDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Yep you guys read it right and it's not a typo. In 3 years and a half I've managed to only complete 3 courses, 9 credits. In total I've wasted 3 semesters by just dropping all my classes before the due date. Other semesters were barely passed and a lot of incomplete classes. lots of money wasted

Now you can say maybe college/university isn't for you. You could, but every time I was doing well on my first midterms, half way through the semester work would take over. Next thing I know I'm back to helping the family out, skipping classes to work, barely studying for finals and writing shitty papers. It is my fault I know that, however I know I need a change. I'm not stupid or lazy, I am ambitious but I'm also a big pushover. I'm a pushover when it comes to helping my family out and in the end I just hurt myself.

What I'm saying is it's not to late for me to turn this around, It's not impossible. I miss school a lot, I don't do drugs and don't drink often so I'm not under some influence where I can't get my shit straight, I just prioritized my life in a horrible fashion over the last 3 years. Work > School and I'm facing the consequences for it.

Since I do physical work for a living, I was thinking about BCIT and something in the trades department. Does anyone have any good suggestions leaning towards BCIT?

I know it's easy to judge me and call me an idiot for the last 3 years, fair enough but I'm looking for a solution and that's what I need help with. Thanks
em1.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
well it depends what your family business is, and you also mentioned you cant see yourself in the same job when youre 30.
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

you say you cant see yourself in the same [physical] job when youre 30 yet u want to do something in the trades department???

my friend is finishing his plumbing program this month, he started in feb. Not a bad job if ur physically fit, and you make decent down the road.
haha13 is offline   Reply With Quote