REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Man builds his own million dollar Bugatti supercar by hand

Man builds his own million dollar Bugatti supercar by hand | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News

The Bugatti Veyron is a modern automotive legend. The sleek speedster from Volkswagen boasts a top speed of over 260mph, making it the fastest road-legal car in the world, and it has a stunningly large $1.5 million price tag to match. Because of this astronomical cost of entry, only a few hundred of the vehicles have ever been built, meaning your chances of owning one are rather slim. That is, unless you're Mike Duff, an ambitious 25-year-old from Florida who decided to build his very own Bugatti with his bare hands.

Starting with a complete 2002 Mercury Cougar coupe, Duff set to work transforming the vehicle's entire exterior into that of a world-class supercar. He used fiberglass and composite material to create the Veyron's iconic lines, and laid it all over a tubular steel frame. After a professional paint job and plenty of buffing, the car was ready for the showroom, but Duff wasn't done yet. He then took to the Cougar's interior, covering everything from the seats to the dashboard in genuine leather. When we spoke with him, he said the project took him a full 9 months from start to finish.

The detailed doppelgänger even sports usable back seats, which is something the real million-dollar ride completely lacks. Speaking of price, that's another area where this fantastic fake beats out its original counterpart. Duff currently has the vehicle up for sale with a price of $89,000 — less than 1/10th the price of a genuine Veyron.

Unfortunately, while that price will buy you the looks of a barely-legal race car, it doesn't buy you the performance. Under its gorgeous exterior, the "Cougatti" is still distinctly pedestrian, and remains equipped with its original 2.5-liter V6 engine that produces roughly 170 horsepower. This is in stark contrast to the 8-liter 16-cylinder powerplant of the real car, which produces a neck-snapping 1,000 horses.

Still, for the price of a Porsche, there's not much you can complain about when the car is a nearly indistinguishable replica of the fastest road car in the world. Not to mention the fact that some other Bugatti tributes can cost an order of magnitude more, and are never meant to leave your office.

Hope it's not a repost.

EDIT: Oh well i tried. Mod please delete.
Advertisement
BMW135i is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #2

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
repost...
Old 07-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/vanco...ml#post7513726
Posted via RS Mobile
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Epic build and great job on a look-a-like....but with all that time and money and he could not get some wheels with better offset???

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
I don't get it

I would be ashamed everytime I started it
alwaysideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
get beat by a minivan
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #7