REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 07-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 3,712 Times in 467 Posts
UBC Upper level Econ courses?

Hey guys, I'm planning to take some 300,400 level Econ courses at UBC and was wondering what you guys think are the "easier" ones (relatively stress free). Thanks a bunch!
Advertisement

Last edited by Zoidberg; 07-17-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
317, 336, 356, 371, 471

Avoid 351 at all costs!!!!! Unless you like making your own life harder than it has to be never ever consider taking that course.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

I think 356 could get hard depending on the prof, its finance which might require some math to it. I registered for it for the winter sem, taught by prof Munro Gordon, he has good reviews and ratings but its the math part that I'm worried abt. I heard a lot of ppl who take it are smart ass commerce students.

Energy: what is 471? Care to explain ur experiences on it?
Posted via RS Mobile
king_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #4

Thanked 3,712 Times in 467 Posts
Thanks Energy Really appreciate it. Do you guys know what the site or program is called that texts or e-mails you when there is a spot open in a full course?
Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Don't know if it works/haven't used it myself

My UBC Course Is Full
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
#savethemanuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_2011 View Post
I think 356 could get hard depending on the prof, its finance which might require some math to it. I registered for it for the winter sem, taught by prof Munro Gordon, he has good reviews and ratings but its the math part that I'm worried abt. I heard a lot of ppl who take it are smart ass commerce students.

Energy: what is 471? Care to explain ur experiences on it?
Posted via RS Mobile
There is no math for 356! Maybe a bit of calculating the exchange rates but that's not complicated at all. You'll need to be able to follow the graphs and diagrams but its really intuitive once you do it once or twice. The key is to actually draw the diagrams yourself and not just look at it. Change some of the variables to see the effect on the economy. There are only so many variables that can change so you can do ALL of the scenarios that are possible and be 100% ready for the final. This might not make sense now but when you take the course it will. I actually really enjoyed 356, that's why I'm taking 456, which is the continuation of it, this year.

471 is economics of non renewable resources. Its a super general topic so it uses pretty much everything you learned in other econ courses. Supply and demand from 101. Simple minimization and maximization from 301. Some basic stuff from international trade and taxation. Most complicated math you need is lagrange multipliers.

Even if the topics might seem wide, the prof (Ratna) is really nice and he gives you guide questions and practice problems that are almost exactly the same as the questions in the midterms and finals. As long as you do those you can get an A easily. And its good to have a basic econ background because this is like a synthesis course but its not really needed as long as you do the practice problems.

Last edited by Energy; 07-20-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #7

Last edited by m!chael; 02-26-2012 at 03:46 PM.
m!chael is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

310 and 311 are pretty much ur Econ 100, 101.
Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:19 AM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

anyone take any econ classes with Akbar Mohammed? i'm taking econ 341 Economic of Asia with him next sem. Heard he bases it on India? since he's punjab LOL.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:36 AM   #10
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_2011 View Post
anyone take any econ classes with Akbar Mohammed? i'm taking econ 341 Economic of Asia with him next sem. Heard he bases it on India? since he's punjab LOL.
SFU's Akbar?!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:09 AM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Prob the same guy and prob transfered to ubc to teach econ. He's prob been here a year or 2 at least since he already got some ratings on ratemyprof.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

bump, man i dropped Hugh Neary's econ 387 class this term.... was kinda bullshitt in his course outline. Marks were composed of Midterm being 30% and final being 70% which i thought was wack. He even said, no BS allowed for short answers, if you give him BS, he gives you a "0". There were alot of readings too so i dropped it. The thing that worried me the most was the final being 70% of your total mark which i thought was unfair. The course was also more like a history course than a econ course and talked abt the russian economy and communist countries.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
There is no math for 356! Maybe a bit of calculating the exchange rates but that's not complicated at all. You'll need to be able to follow the graphs and diagrams but its really intuitive once you do it once or twice. The key is to actually draw the diagrams yourself and not just look at it. Change some of the variables to see the effect on the economy. There are only so many variables that can change so you can do ALL of the scenarios that are possible and be 100% ready for the final. This might not make sense now but when you take the course it will. I actually really enjoyed 356, that's why I'm taking 456, which is the continuation of it, this year.

471 is economics of non renewable resources. Its a super general topic so it uses pretty much everything you learned in other econ courses. Supply and demand from 101. Simple minimization and maximization from 301. Some basic stuff from international trade and taxation. Most complicated math you need is lagrange multipliers.

Even if the topics might seem wide, the prof (Ratna) is really nice and he gives you guide questions and practice problems that are almost exactly the same as the questions in the midterms and finals. As long as you do those you can get an A easily. And its good to have a basic econ background because this is like a synthesis course but its not really needed as long as you do the practice problems.

Hey, I'm taking Econ 456 too this term. I'm having trouble with the problem sets right now because I missed a few classes here and then. Would you happen to have any material (problem set solutions, midterms) from previous years?
jklng56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:30 AM   #14
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Notes

Hello !!!

Could you please send me your 356 notes please?? for the midterms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m!chael View Post
Easy ones are 355, 356, 345. These two are a guaranteed A+ with very little effort.
For 355 buy the older version of the book. My friends spent a bunch of money on the new version while I bought the older one for almost nothing. After comparing the two it became apparent that it's exactly the same except for a few practice questions and review.
For 356 get Gordon Munro as your prof. There is no math, no actual thinking. It's all straight memorization and if you look at the midterms and finals of previous years the questions are almost all the same. If you end up taking this, send me a pm and I can even give you a package I made with all the notes for the year, both midterms and the final exam. Yes, I'm that nice of a guy.
For 345 take it with Geoffrey Newman. Not only is it easy to get an A or A+ in this class, this guy is by far the most entertaining proff at UBC. He's also a genius and if you actually have a passion for econ and have a chance, talk to him during office hours and ask him about his personal opinions about things. The guy is a fountain of knowledge. The class is based on his own research/publications. Don't buy the text by mishkin, the only time he ever brings up that text in class is to make fun of it lol. I also ran into him at a bar during the summer. We were both wasted and it was hilarious.

I grad'd from commerce and I'll be the first to tell you that on average econ students are much smarter. And again, there is almost no math or actual thinking if you take it with Munro.
carlosarteaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #15
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Hey Michael!

Could you please send me your econ 356 notes??? for the midterm, thanks!
carlosarteaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #16

Anyone here in econ 336 with Catherine Douglas this term? i gona combine a google doc for the final exam so pm me with your email and i'll add u in.
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #17
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post
Anyone here in econ 336 with Catherine Douglas this term? i gona combine a google doc for the final exam so pm me with your email and i'll add u in.
what? whend she gave out the final exam outline ??
Gee.Tee.Ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #18
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
CATHERINE DOUGLAS GIVES EXAMS?
our grade was based on 2 things: online discussion + final paper

nobody came to class.. EVER - I had to wait for my gf to get off class anyways so i went and played TF2
Old 03-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
CATHERINE DOUGLAS GIVES EXAMS?
our grade was based on 2 things: online discussion + final paper

nobody came to class.. EVER - I had to wait for my gf to get off class anyways so i went and played TF2
which econ was this? she changed her courses lately. Wats TF2?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #20
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Canadian Economic History (300 level course... forgot which one to be exact lol)
This was 2 years ago when i was in 3rd year.

TF2 = team fortress 2
Old 03-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
Canadian Economic History (300 level course... forgot which one to be exact lol)
This was 2 years ago when i was in 3rd year.

TF2 = team fortress 2
econ 336. Thats the one i'm taking also. Its dead boring so thats why we gota combine a google doc and everyone splits the work. I'm in 5th year as of now
Old 03-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #22
#savethemanuals

^ That's a smart idea. We did the same thing for her Econ 317.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #23

Quote:
^ That's a smart idea. We did the same thing for her Econ 317.
do u sometimes park near Buchanan? i always see a black s2k with Hids? going to the walter gage area where the speed bumps are.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #24
#savethemanuals

Yep, I have a friend that lives there so I can park sometimes. Haha that speed bump with the two blocks in front of the brock hall annex always hits the air diverter things on my bumper and makes a loud clunk so people look and think I hit my car.

Catherine Douglas' classes are boring but an easy A
Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Yep, I have a friend that lives there so I can park sometimes. Haha that speed bump with the two blocks in front of the brock hall annex always hits the air diverter things on my bumper and makes a loud clunk so people look and think I hit my car.

Catherine Douglas' classes are boring but an easy A
u mean u park at st andrews hall and buy a day pass from them? I think i saw your car at the parking lot in front of Buchanan tho...