REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Help me find a linen suit! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/650065-help-me-find-linen-suit.html)

taylor192 07-20-2011 12:42 PM

Help me find a linen suit!

I am attending a wedding in Toronto this weekend, and it will be bloody hot! 32C, 37C with the humidex. Wedding is in an non-AC church, and reception is outside. Yes, I'm going to die of heat stroke, so might as well look good doing it.

I'm looking for a nice linen suit, something like this. Hopefully for about the same price too, < $300.

Any ideas of where to get one in Vancouver?

http://www.thesuitrack.com/media/cat...linen-suit.jpg

.darlyn 07-20-2011 12:45 PM

Mexx... They got a bunch on sale for up to 50% off.. Though many smaller sizes have been sold already

Edit: the one I went to was in richmond center
Posted via RS Mobile

taylor192 07-20-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .darlyn (Post 7518059)
Mexx... They got a bunch on sale for up to 50% off.. Though many smaller sizes have been sold already

Edit: the one I went to was in richmond center
Posted via RS Mobile

Sweet, I love Mexx clothes, usually buy a bunch of shirts when they are 50% off as my size (XL) doesn't sell out fast. I'll try Queensborough now, Richmond centre later tonight.

taylor192 07-20-2011 02:17 PM

So the Queensborough location sucks, 1 linen/cotton blend suit, ugly as hell.

Tried Moores, they don't sell linen suits.

May just have to buy linen pants and shirt, screw the jacket, its too hot anyways.

taylor192 07-20-2011 02:33 PM

Le Chateau has what appears to be perfect: Le Château: Modern Fit Linen Blazer - Tailored

Hopefully the Richmond Centre location has something, yet I doubt it.

.darlyn 07-20-2011 02:49 PM

Aww.. I can never find anything nice at the outlet anyways..
The bf bought 2 linen shirts that I picked out at mexx for 20bux ea. Can't beat that!

Goodluck with the find!
Posted via RS Mobile

Tapioca 07-20-2011 02:50 PM

Mexx clothing is crap and so is stuff from Le Crapeau.

Banana Republic (Canadian online site) has 40% off on already-reduced merchandise. They have grey 100% linen suit separates on sale right now. A jacket and pants can be had for $200. I was tempted to pick up a set myself, but before I could pull the trigger, size 40 jackets were sold out.

The pants: Apparel, Handbags, and Accessories for Men and Women | Banana Republic

The jacket: Apparel, Handbags, and Accessories for Men and Women | Banana Republic

Edit: Just saw that you are going this weekend. You can probably find sizes in store, but your discount will only be 25%. Good luck.

taylor192 07-20-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 7518172)
Mexx clothing is crap and so is stuff from Le Crapeau.

Banana Republic (Canadian online site) has 40% off on already-reduced merchandise. They have grey 100% linen suit separates on sale right now. A jacket and pants can be had for $200. I was tempted to pick up a set myself, but before I could pull the trigger, size 40 jackets were sold out.

The pants: Apparel, Handbags, and Accessories for Men and Women | Banana Republic

The jacket: Apparel, Handbags, and Accessories for Men and Women | Banana Republic

Edit: Just saw that you are going this weekend. You can probably find sizes in store, but your discount will only be 25%. Good luck.

I don't mind Mexx stuff, yet BR is certainly better.

That's a nice suit, I'll see if the Richmond Centre location has it, or hopefully elsewhere in the city. I was really hoping for a natural/beige suit, I have a lot of grey already.

Tapioca 07-20-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7518186)
I don't mind Mexx stuff, yet BR is certainly better.

That's a nice suit, I'll see if the Richmond Centre location has it, or hopefully elsewhere in the city. I was really hoping for a natural/beige suit, I have a lot of grey already.

R&W also has linen suit separates on sale right now - 50% off the sale price. And yes, they're in beige. Unfortunately most of the medium sizes (e.g. 40 jackets and 30-32 pants) are sold out. If you're a bigger size, you might be in luck.

StylinRed 07-20-2011 06:27 PM

Have you checked out Dunns? im sure they'd have it

haven't been in there in awhile but their website shows what you're looking for

no store in richmond though

taylor192 07-20-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 7518348)
R&W also has linen suit separates on sale right now - 50% off the sale price. And yes, they're in beige. Unfortunately most of the medium sizes (e.g. 40 jackets and 30-32 pants) are sold out. If you're a bigger size, you might be in luck.

I'm a 46-48 jacket and 36-38 waist, which is typically hard to find as most stylish stores don't keep many of the largest sizes... hell most places don't stock a 48 jacket. Then add that most stylish stores lie about sizes and everything fits small/thin.

So I picked up the grey suit from BR, and the natural suit from Le Chateau. I want to love the natural colour, yet the pants just don't work. The colour is somewhat see-through, and the skinnier cut of Le Chateau just doesn't help.

I LOVE the BR suit. The fit is a little tight as I had to get a 44 jacket and 36 pant when I need a 46 and 38. I tried a 46 and 38 in a similar suit and it fit like a glove. The reason I had to get the 44 and 36 is cause the BR sale ends today! They called and put the right sizes on hold at another store, and all I need to do is go exchange the suit tomorrow (or return it if it doesn't fit). Woohoo!

Oh and I got it for far less than the prices online! < $300 tax in, while online it'd be $190 + $140 + tax == ~$370.

Now the question is... do I wear a tie? I'm wearing a shit like this:

http://royaltag.com.pk/static/img/pr...-shirt-636.jpg

Tapioca 07-20-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7518555)

Now the question is... do I wear a tie? I'm wearing a shit like this:

http://royaltag.com.pk/static/img/pr...-shirt-636.jpg

Honestly, I would go with a plain white shirt. The grey suit already has pinstripes, so a solid colour would contrast well. You could also go with a solid pastel, like a light blue or even purple, but I think white is the safest choice. You're already going in a linen suit, so you can afford to be less formal and go tie-less. Unbutton the top 2 buttons on the shirt, spend 20 bucks on a pocket square (here you can be adventurous), and you'll be good to go.

My go-to suit is a grey herringbone (not unlike the colour of the grey linen suit) and it always works with a plain white shirt.

taylor192 07-20-2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 7518594)
Honestly, I would go with a plain white shirt. The grey suit already has pinstripes, so a solid colour would contrast well. You could also go with a solid pastel, like a light blue or even purple, but I think white is the safest choice. You're already going in a linen suit, so you can afford to be less formal and go tie-less. Unbutton the top 2 buttons on the shirt, spend 20 bucks on a pocket square (here you can be adventurous), and you'll be good to go.

My go-to suit is a grey herringbone (not unlike the colour of the grey linen suit) and it always works with a plain white shirt.

Cool.

Unfortunately I learned a long time ago that white shirts and I do not mix. Like most bigger dudes, I sweat through shirts. Drysol is a lifesaver to prevent yellow stains, yet still any white shirt doesn't stay white for very long.

For the same reason I have only patterned shirts, no solids. Patterns seem to hide blemishes and colour differences that develop over time. I have a lot of shirts with small patterns like above, closest to solid I have :)

Come to think of it... I only have patterned ties too... hmmm nothing formal with a solid colour in my entire closet except a couple pairs of pants.

taylor192 07-20-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7518395)
Have you checked out Dunns? im sure they'd have it

haven't been in there in awhile but their website shows what you're looking for

no store in richmond though

Unfortunately I don't have time to make it there, and they don't have a catalog online. Maybe next time.

taylor192 07-22-2011 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca:7518172
Banana Republic (Canadian online site) has 40% off on already-reduced merchandise.

You can probably find sizes in store, but your discount will only be 25%. Good luck.

FYI, the 40% sale is now in store too! When I exchanged my suit for the correct sizes they applied the discount. Its 40% off the sale price! Jacket was $150 and pants $60 after the discount! Woohoo!