REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   A taste of Afghanistan (https://www.revscene.net/forums/650330-taste-afghanistan.html)

FishTaco 07-24-2011 10:49 AM

A taste of Afghanistan

Heres a short video i made of my 7 months in Afghanistan. In that time we found 160 road side bombs/ IED's and lost 4 friends.

Faces are blurred for security.

s300ae 07-24-2011 10:53 AM

great vid! are those pot fields govt owned and controlled?

FishTaco 07-24-2011 11:09 AM

Nope, they are owned by random farmers. There's tonnes of marijuana/poppy fields. There is a designated D.E.A. team that deals with them though so were not wasting our time getting rid of them.

s300ae 07-24-2011 11:19 AM

i was aware of the poppy fields, but didnt realize there were fields of marijuana like that.

FishTaco 07-24-2011 01:19 PM

Suuuure is

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...4581f95e-1.jpg

TRDeol 07-24-2011 02:24 PM

Holy! Great video, and I didn't know about the marijuana fields either. Rip to your 4 friends
Posted via RS Mobile

deaner999 07-26-2011 06:11 PM

lol i dont think ill step foot there

AlphaKappa 07-26-2011 07:35 PM

glad you made it back alive and nice vid! Are you going back there or are you just going to settle down here?

FishTaco 08-14-2011 10:06 AM

No im out of the army now. Not sure whats next for me to be honest. I will be 26 next month and i still have no idea what im doing :fuckthatshit:

twitchyzero 08-14-2011 11:11 AM

glad you came back in one piece
would you say your perspective has changed on Canada's involvement in Afghanistan before and after your time there?

eLmN8 09-10-2011 12:36 PM

Explain the video at 2:55 please!

white_guilt 09-10-2011 01:33 PM

I'm joining up after I finish university here for Officer school. Did you run into any guys from JTF or CSOR over there? Just curious.

white_guilt 09-10-2011 01:37 PM

And btw everyone should give you thanks for this post man. I've seen people get more thanks here for way less significant posts. Cheers for your service.

mb_ 09-10-2011 06:02 PM

Thanks for serving our country and sharing the video man! Sorry to hear about your friends who lost their lives.

FishTaco 09-10-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 7544780)
glad you came back in one piece
would you say your perspective has changed on Canada's involvement in Afghanistan before and after your time there?

Thank you. My perspective has changed quite a bit on the Afghan war but i dont want to get into it to be honest. Just too much politics and i get frustrated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eLmN8 (Post 7573822)
Explain the video at 2:55 please!

That was 2 taliban, or people hired by the Taliban, to plant bombs in the fields. They hide their weapon caches underground and they booby trap the fields because we keep finding them and they get pissed off. These 2 "men" were caught red-handed by our thermal night vision and the American helicopters came to give them their wish of 72 virgins.

Quote:

Originally Posted by white_guilt (Post 7573872)
I'm joining up after I finish university here for Officer school. Did you run into any guys from JTF or CSOR over there? Just curious.

Please do yourself a favor for when you get in. Officers are not very well liked so heres some advice if you choose to accept it.

You will be in command of Non-Commissioned members. In officer school they will teach you "by the book". When you finish your schooling you will be assigned to a unit. You will be in charge of Warrant Officers, Seargents, Master Corporals, Corporals, and Privates.

Alot of the guys below you will have alot of training and have experienced full on combat so be open-minded to their ideas and opinions. Be the boss but try and be "the boss". Be one of the troops and get to know your men. Dont always disappear when work comes around and dont be afraid to get your hands dirty. You will get alot of respect from that.These are the guys that are going to put their trust in you when their lives are on the line.

We never worked directly with JTF or CSOR because they are Elite and do alot of small team, in-and-out missions. Sometimes we would be on standby sleeping outside the Chinooks in case they would get into the shit and needed support.

Heres a short story on them.
Canada News: Elite force operates in Kandahar shadows - thestar.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by white_guilt (Post 7573875)
And btw everyone should give you thanks for this post man. I've seen people get more thanks here for way less significant posts. Cheers for your service.

Thanks man, I appreciate it and good luck with your military plan!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mb_ (Post 7574052)
Thanks for serving our country and sharing the video man! Sorry to hear about your friends who lost their lives.

Thank you for both comments.

LiquidTurbo 09-11-2011 07:41 AM

Thank you for the vids!!!

You should post this in Vancouver Off Topic. Really deserves more recognition. While I don't agree with certain aspects and politics of the war, thanks for serving.