REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 07-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Mexico (Coba, Cancun, etc)

I'm planning to go nearing the end of Aug for at least a week, but ive been hearing one too many horror stories about it being hurricane season....should I still book my flight and go? How many of you actually been during hurricane season?

Plus for those who's been to Cancun...what do you guys do? other than relaxation. shopping? partying? eating? where all the goods at!

and...best hotels to stay at???

TIA!
Advertisement
tubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Things like storms they can predict sometime before it happens, so I think you can cancel your flights if anything Is foreseen. I went in aug, was totally fine.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I went to Mayan last August and there was no hurricane.
We made sure to buy our trip from the site with hurricane insurance included.

Most of the time we stayed at the Resort. (Grand Sirenis) The place was good, could be better, but it was clean and the food was okay. Which is a good deal considering we paid a total of $900 each. (We talked to other people on the same trip also from Vancouver and they paid $1500 for the exact same thing)

Gf mostly chilled on the beach and drank margaritas while I went snorkeling and exploring. I loved snorkeling so much that my back turned black.

For transportation we took the Collectivo, which is just a shuttle bus taxi that you share with locals and other tourists. We went to Playa del Carmen to check the shops out. Don't be afraid to bargain, most of these guys sell the same stuff and prices vary depending on how close to the center you are. One of the ruins we went to was Tulum, that place is all cleaned up with mowed lawns so it's not as fun as...

Coba, which has some of the only pyramids that you are still allowed to climb. We took an excursion with a tour group. Much of the ruins are left in ruins for the jungle and nature to take over. Much more interesting! After that, our tour went back on the bus and to some "cenote," which is a naturally cool and clean pool of water that we all were allowed to swim in.

Last edited by Matlock; 07-26-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
I went to Mayan last August and there was no hurricane.
We made sure to buy our trip from the site with hurricane insurance included.

Most of the time we stayed at the Resort. (Grand Sirenis) The place was good, could be better, but it was clean and the food was okay. Which is a good deal considering we paid a total of $900 each. (We talked to other people on the same trip also from Vancouver and they paid $1500 for the exact same thing)

Gf mostly chilled on the beach and drank margaritas while I went snorkeling and exploring. I loved snorkeling so much that my back turned black.

For transportation we took the Collectivo, which is just a shuttle bus taxi that you share with locals and other tourists. We went to Playa del Carmen to check the shops out. Don't be afraid to bargain, most of these guys sell the same stuff and prices vary depending on how close to the center you are. One of the ruins we went to was Tulum, that place is all cleaned up with mowed lawns so it's not as fun as...

Coba, which has some of the only pyramids that you are still allowed to climb. We took an excursion with a tour group. Much of the ruins are left in ruins for the jungle and nature to take over. Much more interesting! After that, our tour went back on the bus and to some "cenote," which is a naturally cool and clean pool of water that we all were allowed to swim in.
can i ask which site you use that had hurricane insurance included? thanks
Old 07-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #5

are there any designer boutiques or anything over there? any shopping source like in America?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

definitely get travel insurance so you can cancel without being penalized
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

You should check out Isla Mujeres, which can be accessed right out of Cancun. Public bus to the ferry costs maybe $0.50. No need to book accommodation a head, unless you want 5 star, as there is a TON of places to stay.

Also, Isla Holbox is amazing as well.....Stay at Tribu, check out the organic juice place, the staff will tell you where it is
_Hotsauce_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #8

i went to cancun as well in november, it was nice as heck!! u can do a lot of things as well other than that, snorkling and like u can take a day to go to the mayan temple tours and um theres tons of tours u can do!! my suggestion as well is take a girl with u its pretty cheap ^_~ only about 1k during that time!
jayjboi0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Thanked 1,357 Times in 111 Posts
can you guys suggest any hotels to stay away from in Cancun??
zubairali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:15 AM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

^
Would like to know also. I was looking at Vacation Deals & Travel Specials BookIt.com and Hotel Riu had some decent prices and it seemed pretty appealing. Apparently some resorts/hotels don't have a 24hr liquor dispenser. =(

BlAh~
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #11

Go to Mayan Rivera instead of Cancun for newer resorts.

1 week until i'm at sunset princess
Old 10-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC21 View Post
^
Would like to know also. I was looking at Vacation Deals & Travel Specials BookIt.com and Hotel Riu had some decent prices and it seemed pretty appealing. Apparently some resorts/hotels don't have a 24hr liquor dispenser. =(
Stayed at the Riu Caribe in Cancun and we had liquor dispersers in our room. 3 bottles of booze hanging upside down in a rack. Put your glass underneath push up out comes booze. The also had beer in the fridge restocked every 2 days.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
VLS Head Mod

Will be there next Sunday on the Mayan riveria side, what are some must do excursions?
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
Will be there next Sunday on the Mayan riveria side, what are some must do excursions?
Posted via RS Mobile
You MUST go to the Coba excusion if you want to climb a real pyramid in the middle of the jungle. This will be your last chance as I heard they are no longer allowing people to climb it as of January 2012. The Coba ruins are probably the best ones to visit in the area as they are in a more "raw" state without having gardeners and whatnot maintenance people clean every stone and blade of grass.

I've also been to Tulum, but for that one you can take a taxi or the collectivo shuttles and just pay an entrance fee at the gate. You don't need to book a tour as you can manage without it. Not as mind blowing as Coba, but you'll see the difference right away.

If you care for alcohol and a crazy party do the party hopper that goes to 3 clubs ending with Coco Bongo.

I've always wanted to go the Xelha for snorkeling, but never had the chance. Maybe next time.

Have fun

Last edited by Matlock; 11-20-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #15
Banned By Establishment

I stayed at the Riu Cancun...what a awesome trip lol.
Anyways here are some photos to pump you up for the trip! lol

To be honest just chilled in the hotel, we were really close to the clubs (Sweet, coco bongo, daddy-o's all 5min walk)
I made sure we were central in location! Theres not really a lot of shopping around unless you take a taxi and drive the strip.

Last edited by Skyline350gt; 11-20-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Skyline350gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #16

Oh and if you're looking for good real Mexican food in Playa, you can go to Carbonitas, I think it was on 4th st and 5th ave.

I should get my pics together, too.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
VLS Head Mod

we're staying at the grand palladium resort. Any recommendations on tour operators for that coba excursion? thanks
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #18
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

what are your thoughts about the crazy drug wars happening?