REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #1726
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Checked and confirmed that the coaxial cable is in perfect condition. Had an appointment with BBMC but camera got scared and decided to work again today.

Updated the camera to the new firmware 2.007 gonna see if that helps.
Advertisement

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:38 PM   #1727
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by extracrunchie View Post
How's the quality? Was thinking of purchasing one or wait for the A119s model.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Honestly video and build quality seem pretty good, no complaints there. Only things to watch for is it switches to 1080p/30 if you turn on the lane departure and forward collision features, and the UI slows down a LOT. Like press a button and it responds 5s later. If you leave those off, the thing works damn near perfectly. I'll see if I can pull a video clip if you want.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #1728
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuHua View Post
Honestly video and build quality seem pretty good, no complaints there. Only things to watch for is it switches to 1080p/30 if you turn on the lane departure and forward collision features, and the UI slows down a LOT. Like press a button and it responds 5s later. If you leave those off, the thing works damn near perfectly. I'll see if I can pull a video clip if you want.
Ya those features are not important to me, have you tested the parking mode feature?

extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #1729
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by extracrunchie View Post
Ya those features are not important to me, have you tested the parking mode feature?

To be honest I haven't haha...from what I see the motion sensor is a toggle feature, I don't think it activates automatically and if that's the case it's a bit of a pain. I've wired the thing to turn on with acc power so it's off when parked.

Sample:

Last edited by LuHua; 09-28-2016 at 10:23 PM.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:45 PM   #1730
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,383 Times in 5,083 Posts
Ran into this beauty of a guy on Friday, absolutely nobody behind me on this corner and he comes charging up the side (it's way closer than it looks, you guys all know how perspective works on these dash cams) and forces his way in (no signal) and I honk at him, he proceeds to brake check me and then brake check me down to like 20 a second time after that before taking off at like 130+ onto the bridge.

What a tough guy driving a Sienna van with fugly chrome wheels even has the nerve to roll his window down and try to yell at me on the freeway after. What's up with people not taking responsibility for their stupid fucktard actions nowadays.

68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #1731
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #1732
RS Lurker, I don't post!

I got a dashcam in mine. Blackvue is definitely the way to go. You never know what will happen and a couple hundred bucks will save you a few more.
DeepInExhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:39 AM   #1733
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
sorry posted in wrong thread
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 10-31-2016 at 09:04 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:54 PM   #1734
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
need some help guys...

i purchased a CR500hd from speed syndicate about a year or two ago. no problem but a few weeks ago (i only just noticed today) the camera started acting up. all 5 lights stay on as if the camera is bricked and i cant get it to do anything

tried hooking it up to pc and it isnt even recognizing it or saying "USB mode" like it normally would..

did a little bit of searching myself, and was able to find others that had run into the same problem, but no resolutions. has anybody experienced this with the cr500hd, and if so, what was the solution (if any?)

thanks in advance !
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:58 PM   #1735
My homepage has been set to RS

Damn need a new dash cam

Last edited by Ducdesmo; 11-03-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Ducdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #1736
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
What did that scooter guy thought would happen when he ran that red...
Old 11-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #1737
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
What did that scooter guy thought would happen when he ran that red...
Don't you know, riding your scooter in the crosswalk makes you almost exactly like a pedestrian! Right of way!

I hope he's alright but indeed.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #1738
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducdesmo View Post
Damn need a new dash cam
https://youtu.be/tUzr0YovAr4
On a cross walk too. Sorry, I hate scooter riding fuckers who feel they have to ride on the road, bike lane and sidewalk and cross walk. Sorta like a bike would
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2016, 05:56 PM   #1739
My homepage has been set to RS

Don't think he was seriously hurt as he stood up right afterwards. No idea WTF he was doing though.
Ducdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:58 PM   #1740
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
I'm looking to buy a decent dash cam, something not too expensive or cheap either, good quality, sleek/miniature and something that won't fog up like I've seen happen to some on here.

I was thinking of buying a blackvue since most of you have but was wondering if there's any other recommendations?
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:28 PM   #1741
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
Blackvue is certainly a good choice, but I'd say they tend to be a bit pricey -- or at least, for me, they are a little pricey.

I'm currently looking for a dashcam myself, and I have my eyes set on the Xiaoyi Yi. The video it produces seems to be of top quality, and while it doesn't look that small in pictures, the real thing actually looks quite small, esp when the mounting arm is taken into account.

I'd definitely get in touch with BlackBoxMyCar as their product line is extensive, and their service quality top notch.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2016, 10:56 PM   #1742
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Blackvue is certainly a good choice, but I'd say they tend to be a bit pricey -- or at least, for me, they are a little pricey.

I'm currently looking for a dashcam myself, and I have my eyes set on the Xiaoyi Yi. The video it produces seems to be of top quality, and while it doesn't look that small in pictures, the real thing actually looks quite small, esp when the mounting arm is taken into account.

I'd definitely get in touch with BlackBoxMyCar as their product line is extensive, and their service quality top notch.
I take it you talking about the Yi dashcam and not the Yi action camera but either one, the video quality is good (from my research) for both night and day, but the form factor is not ideal. Certainly the Yi dashcam comes in gray and big for dashcam. It was $79 at ncix yesterday but now it jumped to $120. check out dashcamtalk if you haven't. Gearbest seems to have some good deals on quality dashcams recently.
Vulgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:24 PM   #1743
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulgate View Post
I take it you talking about the Yi dashcam and not the Yi action camera but either one, the video quality is good (from my research) for both night and day, but the form factor is not ideal. Certainly the Yi dashcam comes in gray and big for dashcam. It was $79 at ncix yesterday but now it jumped to $120. check out dashcamtalk if you haven't. Gearbest seems to have some good deals on quality dashcams recently.
Yeah the grey is quite visible, I've seen some people online just throw some black paint or tape over it and it makes a big difference.
If you don't need wifi, I would definitely check out A119 in that price range
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2016, 12:50 AM   #1744

Do any of you guys have the DOD dash cam? I'm looking online but it's hard to compare with reviews with all these other brands
Old 12-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #1745
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
Do any of you guys have the DOD dash cam? I'm looking online but it's hard to compare with reviews with all these other brands
they have pretty good video quality but no parking mode and battery based is a bit of a downside.

If you don't mind having an LCD screen the Vicovation OPIA2 is a pretty solid unit. Has a parking mode, not as good as the Korean dash cams but the video quality is better.

(Andrew from Car cam central actually used to work for DOD)
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:52 PM   #1746

Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to go with the blackvue DR3500. Have you guys had any issues with this particular model?
Old 12-18-2016, 05:47 AM   #1747
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to go with the blackvue DR3500. Have you guys had any issues with this particular model?
I know a friend who's had it for a couple of years now and the quality of the video is comparable if not the same to my 650S single channel. On a side note, Blackvue is the best when it comes to parking mode recording
jasonc97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:18 AM   #1748
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
FIY. I think the dr3500 is discontinued. If you go into BlackVue.com and look through firmware it have discontinue next to it.
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:16 PM   #1749
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Does anyone run a rear camera with tinted windows? Is it completely worthless at night or still fairly functional?

Alternatively I need to add a back up camera to my Jeep anyways, so I'm wondering if there are any dual channel setups that either have a waterproof rear camera that can mount outside, or allow the rear channel to come from any camera?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:20 AM   #1750
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Dash cams at the rear typically don't work well at night because you don't have headlights lighting up your path and you have other car's headlights shining into your camera.

However, they still serve a purpose. They're able to show who's in what lane, what color and what car, and can provide proof that if you were rear ended, that you didn't roll back and hit the guy behind you.

I have rear tint on both my cars and a crappy dash camera in the rear. These were like early 1st gen cameras that I used in the front and then moved to the back when I bought better dash cameras. They don't work great, but still better than not having one.
If you have multiple power outlets or one in the trunk, then I prefer having 2 separate cameras rather than paying a premium for a front camera that is dual channel setup.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: