REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 08-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
The only reason she doesn't want you in a bike is she knows skanks like bikes, and most guys on bikes like skanks.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #27
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honyoung View Post
get her to take the course with you
shell be convinced after its all over
That's not the point.

You can ace the course and be the safest rider but the 95% of the motorists you share the road with will still outweigh and outsize you and your vehicle by a large margin.

What would be a fender bender to a normal automobile would have larger, more magnified consequences on a motorbike.

Point is, some activities just are inherently more riskier than others; and if she is a proper person and does care about you, it's normal for her to worry for your well-being rather than not.

And if you are serious about this woman, better get used to it. The older you two get, the more she'll start worrying about the food you eat, the habits you partake (smoking/drinking), etc.

At least in general they'll worry about stuff like that.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:15 AM   #28
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
after you meet people that have been permanently damaged from motorbike accidents, you realise, it is not worth it.

by perma i mean limbs lost, or worse, spinal cord injuries.

it's TOTALLY not worth it.

I have all the gear except a bike. then i decided, nah, if i wanted to do something risky/exciting, i'd jump out of a plane or commit some crime.

my body is worth more than the cool factor of a bike.

plus i've crashed every single car i've driven cuz i always get that cocky edgey feeling. i like to put myself in danger, that adrenaline rush. that feeling of pushing the machine and body to the edge.

on a bike... i'd die. for sure. 110%. or worse. i know myself. the danger in me, plus the danger of a bike, would result in death ahaha
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:07 AM   #29
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_crayon View Post
mmmhmmm.

OP, I can understand what your gf is feeling as I am the exact same. Some can argue that I should let him do it because riding is as bad as driving in a car..or every other reason they can think of...but for me I do not want him to ride.

It's not that I don't trust him on a bike..it's other people on the road that I'm worried about. People are so careless on the road and really..there is nothing to protect him physically if he was to get hit. My uncle was a motorcyclist, was hit, had to get a metal plate in his knee and go through months of therapy to help him walk again.

I personally don't like it (and I'm sure there are many gfs/wives who feel this way too), but if people want to ride..then so be it. I can't speak for others and how they should live their life..but for Yaminashi's case..you guys aren't the ones that have to plan a future with him that includes kids, a marriage..etc and I would like to have him around for the next 60+ years.
doesn't help that I tempt him ALL THE TIME with bike talk
but he cares a lot about you and won't make the move to bikes, knowing how you feel about it

Spoiler!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #30
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Why don't you start off with something mild like others have suggested ie. a scooter or 125/250 like others have suggested

I find it ridiculous how anyone who just got their license can go buy a 1000cc sport bike that can easily kill an experienced rider let alone someone without many kms/years riding. but like others have stressed these roads and drivers are just horrible
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #31
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsman View Post
My dad used to do the same thing minus the breaking up with my mom and it has worked out well for him so far. My mom didn't want a dog so my dad just bought a dog. Didn't want a flat screen, so he went and bought a new one. New car, the same thing. She is mad for a few days and then gets over it.

If she loves you I doubt she would break it off over this. Just do it and let her be mad for a week.
Err, the risk of getting killed by a dog or flat screen TV is much much lower than riding a motorcycle...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #32
MoD

Thanked 1,805 Times in 227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !e.lo_ View Post
doesn't help that I tempt him ALL THE TIME with bike talk
but he cares a lot about you and won't make the move to bikes, knowing how you feel about it

Spoiler!
you sir, are an asshole

Im in the same situation where gf refuses to let me ride.
Yet my buddy like you, taunts the hell out of me...
Old 08-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #33
Need to Seek Professional Help

^^how do you handle it when your gf doesnt let you ride?..
Old 08-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #34
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Spoiler!

Edit: Ooops. Left my computer unlocked. How did this happen?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by k2_alpha; 08-09-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: being trolltastic (less scrolling)
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #35
Need to Seek Professional Help

You're not helping at all...

Fuckin cafe racers lol
Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 AM   #36
Need my Daily Fix of RS

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for approval
Posted via RS Mobile
i_eat_r1ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #37
MoD

Thanked 1,805 Times in 227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_3fe View Post
^^how do you handle it when your gf doesnt let you ride?..
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_eat_r1ce View Post
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for approval
Posted via RS Mobile
I look at the big picture.

in the past, I didn't feel the pleasure I would get from riding is worth losing my gf.
To all the previous post about dumping the gf and finding another one; more power to you.
I absolutely love my gf and will not break the relationship.

I am confident enough in our relationship that she will not break up with me even if I do decide to ride. But the thought that I would put unneeded stress on her keeps me from attempting. My gf has had bad experiences in the past and it really bugs her. For her, it is a real fear. I love her too much to put my own pleasure first; while causing her to freak everytime I ride.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #38
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2_alpha View Post
you sir, are an asshole

Im in the same situation where gf refuses to let me ride.
Yet my buddy like you, taunts the hell out of me...
Old 08-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #39
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

It's not just girlfriends and wives that worry about you on the donor cycle.

I have to tell you, the scariest 30 seconds of my life were between I got a call from Royal Columbian Hospital telling my my father had been in a motorcycle accident and the time it took for the woman to explain that my dad was not dead but was very seriously injured.

How my mother let him get back on the bike (hell she's on the back of it right now on her way to Sergies) I have no idea. But I know that phone call was enough hell in half a minute that I never want to live through again that I sorta twitch now every time someone I care about gets on one of them on a public road (Cause it's not that I don't trust them, I just really don't trust other drivers).
Old 08-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #40
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
I know somebody that is banned from motorcycles. He did some stupid speeding when he was younger, edit now only let's him have a scooter.

If you are adamant on getting on 2 wheels, go do the course at PRS, then maybe start small. Girl might consider letting you ride a scooter. Who knots, you might just hate being on 2 wheels. Even my 50cc can kick out enough speed to get me killed, but it's a heck of a lot more forgiving than a 1000cc bike would be for rider error.
Mine can top out just over 90.
Posted via RS Mobile
Culverin is offline   Reply With Quote