REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Pet Forum

Pet Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Where my dogs at?! In here..
Where pet lovers congregate..

Old 08-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
NNT
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Lets talk about raw food diet for dogs

I've been feeding my dog raw food since we got her. This is what we've been feed her about 4 days in a week :80% ground beef with 20% green tripe and vegetable.
the other days I try to give her something different for better balance like bone in chicken and beef ribs. (ox tail also but that can get very pricy so not too often)
I plan to give her some fish, people claim its ok to feed whole fish but I am not too comfortable about the bone. I also thinking some shellfish like oyster or clam but not sure if it is safe, anyone got experience to share?
Advertisement
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
VLS Pet Forum Mod

I would stay away from shellfish. Sardines in a can of spring water are great source of omegas and another protien source. I also add a mix of dried kelp to my dogs diet. Also turkey, salmon, duck. I add one raw egg a week (to the med to big breeds) this includes the whole shell as well. With my smaller breeds they get half. I would suggest adding a little more bone to the diet. Stick with chicken and turkey and duck as it crumbles when broken down. Beef and any other weight baring bone of larger animals does not get broken down. Every so often I do what I call a club med breakfast. I mix cooked egg, beans, and veggies with some sardines as the meal. Adding some canned pumpkin (without the sugar) is another vegetable I add if the dog likes it. Some do some don't.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

so i feed my dog raw as well
anybody mix carrots to their meals?
my dog doesnt seem to digest them and poop them back out. wondering if carrots are something dogs have problem digesting ? it was recommended by my vet...
Old 08-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
VLS Pet Forum Mod

Carrots are fine. But they will only digest what they need of them. It also takes their bodies a little bit to learn how to break down new vegetables. This is why I do a mix of different things to keep their bodies knowing how to digest it. You will always see a bit of carrot unless you wait a few months then play with the quantity. Really a bit leaving their body isn't a huge deal.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
NNT
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

yep, carrots are fine, one of the dog I know can only eat kibble and carrot, eating any other thing would give diarrhea. if you want your dog get as much nutrition from any vegetable. chop that up as fine as possible.
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
the force is with me

I've been feeding my dog a raw diet that's a package of fruit, vegetables and raw turkey or chicken. He's 4-1/2 now. His mom has been getting the same thing and something similar for 4 years. They are Labrador Retrievers. Their health has been excellent, low stool (i.e. no food fillers) and they've been quite happy (loads of exercise).

This was at least 2 years ago.

1991 Honda CRX Si Special Edition
1998 Honda CR-V EX 4WD
OBD1 Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,806 Times in 8,185 Posts
Those are beautiful labs
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

After changing to raw diet my Shih Tzu has way more energy. She looks healthier and happier also. Her poops are nice as well.

Chilli the Shih tzu gets almost any type of fresh meat with soft bones. Pork necks, chicken, buffalo and lamb forms the bulk of her diet.

No shell fish of anykind (due to mercury and toxins)

I also give her in smaller quantities: salmon skins (cooked), raw green smelly beef tripe, raw random organ meats, raw eggs (just the yolk)

I do not bother trying to feed her any vegetables or fruits (other than a few brussel spouts once in a while), but sometimes she gets basmati rice with a tiny bit of ghee as a treat. I don’t know if rice is a vegetable.

I also keep various frozen raw dog food bricks that I get from Jolly meats in North van sliced up and ready in freezer. Those are handy when you don't feel like dealing with grocery store cuts and you can mix them up and your dog is eating like a king. She seems to enjoy eating the slices frozen.

the big beef knucke soup bones are not good for any dogs teeth. They are way to hard and teeth will get chipped or cracked. I pull out the marrow with a chopstick and let her lick down these types of bones, but these are not for chewing on. There are softer bones that can be fed instead.

I get to eat any meat that I deem unsuitable for her.

Sanjay_Burnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2015, 05:56 PM   #9
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

hi,

does anyone know where i can order or buy some green tripe for my GSD...

thanks in advance....
totoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #10
HELP ME PLS!!!

Our of curiosity, is raw food supposed to be better for dogs? More energy? Longer life?

Our family dog has generally eaten everything under the sun. A scoop of dry dog food, mixed with whatever food we cook for dinner. Rice, pasta, chinese food, eggs, bbq sauce, you name it, he eats it. He's 20 years old now ( I know, probably not normal ) and we won't change now, but for a future dog, I'm wondering if the benefits are worth the change?

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #11
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

hi guys
i been feeding my husky raw food for over a year now, pretty much since i got her at 7 months.
this is what i primarily buy for her

Home - Surrey Meat Packers Ltd. Natural Raw Dog Food

i go to their burnaby location and buy the beef and chicken mixed with vegetables, prices have gone up the last month from 70$/44lbs to 75$/44lb.

^ raw food vs dry food i would imagine is kinda like whole foods vs fast food
bbcbrbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:35 PM   #12
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post
Our of curiosity, is raw food supposed to be better for dogs? More energy? Longer life?

Our family dog has generally eaten everything under the sun. A scoop of dry dog food, mixed with whatever food we cook for dinner. Rice, pasta, chinese food, eggs, bbq sauce, you name it, he eats it. He's 20 years old now ( I know, probably not normal ) and we won't change now, but for a future dog, I'm wondering if the benefits are worth the change?
Short answer: yes, yes, and yes.

(Full disclosure: I own a doggy daycare and we sell a variety of raw foods.) I'll try not to make this sound too sales-pitchy, because even with off-the-shelf dry foods, there are still decent choices if you're on a tight budget. If you're going the dry food route, opt for the natural choices with less filler. You WILL notice a difference in your furry friend's well being.

But as far as results go, we have seen first-hand some of our daycare dogs who switched to raw food, and the changes happen very fast and very noticeably. An extreme case, one of our clients' dog was overweight, losing hair (bald spots), and was grumpy, groggy and anxious most of the time. Within 2-3 months of switching to raw food, the dog's fur completely changed (fur started to grow in the balding spots, and her coat just looked way healthier and fuller), her weight IMMEDIATELY balanced itself out to a healthy-looking size, and her overall personality was just happier and healthier. This was our most drastic and noticeable change. For most dogs, if they don't have any weight, eating or personality problems, at the very least, you WILL notice a change in their energy and mood.

I feed my dog raw food religiously, and 110% recommend it if you can afford it. Otherwise, opt for the best you can afford, and as always, lots of love, care, and exercise!

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2015, 09:36 AM   #13
2 Wheelin' Mod

How much food do you feed your dog when it is on a raw food diet. In bbcbrbe post they said 75$/44 pounds how long does that last?

I have a GSD that weighs 70 pounds how much would I need to feed him?
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #14
PJ

I'd say for a 70-pounder, 2 pounds over the course of a day if he's at a healthy weight.. more or less by half a pound if she needs to gain or lose weight.

For raw food, a general rule of thumb is your dog's weight divided by 33. Remember that raw food is more dense and full of nutrients, so they won't need a whole lot to achieve the same energy levels as eating a full bowl of dry food. Go for the chicken or turkey "complete nutrition" options if you can. They have the right veggies and stuff added into them too.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0

Last edited by PJ; 04-05-2015 at 09:41 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2015, 10:24 PM   #15
2 Wheelin' Mod

Thanks for the help it doesn't seem that much more expensive than just buying dog food
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2015, 11:38 PM   #16
PJ

Not a problem! There are some regular off-the-shelf dog foods that aren't too bad, but at those prices, you may as well opt for raw. The only real downside (if you can call it that) is that it takes up space in your freezer. Also, look out for the fat content and filler in raw food too. Ironically, to lower prices... some brands started puffing up their raw food with other "raw" ingredients (fat, starches, etc).

Happy feeding to you and your doggy!

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 04-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #17
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quick question to the raw diet feeders. Is there a risk of salmonella with dogs consuming raw meat like that? I brought this idea up with my gf and that was a concern she brought up.

The reason I want to get our yorkie on a raw food diet is because he's a really small guy (5 lbs) and he shakes occasionally, so we're not sure if it's because of a lack of nutrients or he's not eating enough of his kibbles. I know that raw diet has a lot more nutrients so that's primarily why I'm looking at it.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #18
PJ

Very unlikely. Dogs have a short digestive track, so food goes in and comes out much faster than humans. Even if in the rare case, the food were infected with salmonella, it would get pushed through your dog faster than it would take the salmonella to multiply and do any harm. Remember... although cute and cuddly, canines are also found in the wild, and naturally eat everything and anything they can get their hands on. Almost every dog owner I know, including most of our clients at the daycare have switched to raw food, and have had nothing but great results. For a little guy, I'd recommend giving him really small portions of raw food mixed in with his dry food, and slowly switch over the portions according to how he reacts.

How old is he and how long have you had him for? Usually shakes are from some form of anxiety.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 04-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #19
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
Very unlikely. Dogs have a short digestive track, so food goes in and comes out much faster than humans. Even if in the rare case, the food were infected with salmonella, it would get pushed through your dog faster than it would take the salmonella to multiply and do any harm. Remember... although cute and cuddly, canines are also found in the wild, and naturally eat everything and anything they can get their hands on. Almost every dog owner I know, including most of our clients at the daycare have switched to raw food, and have had nothing but great results. For a little guy, I'd recommend giving him really small portions of raw food mixed in with his dry food, and slowly switch over the portions according to how he reacts.

How old is he and how long have you had him for? Usually shakes are from some form of anxiety.
Thanks for the quick response!

He's 2.5 years old now. We adopted him when he was 4 months old, because his original owner was an RN and she felt bad that she couldn't give him the attention and life he deserved.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:40 PM   #20
2 Wheelin' Mod

So where is everyone getting there raw dog food from
Old 04-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #21
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
This has been a good read. I'm gonna start doing that with my pup.

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #22
PJ

Hopefully this doesn't get me any points, but we do carry raw food at my daycare in Burnaby. We're in the works of becoming an RS sponsor in the near future so I won't say too much, but PM me if you'd like any more info, or if you have any questions about raw food or dogs in general . Bulk pricing can be arranged!

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 04-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #23
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I've been feeding my golden/lab since we got her as a puppy and every time we bring her to grooming they always say my dog's teeth is very clean. I've noticed my sister inlaw's dog that started with feeding commercial food their teeth is very yellow.
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #24
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoy View Post
hi,

does anyone know where i can order or buy some green tripe for my GSD...

thanks in advance....
tisol
wesamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:27 AM   #25
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
I realize there are places that sell raw dog food. But is it okay to buy from a butcher directly?
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote