REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,392 Times in 180 Posts
Got dinged with a VI last night

Hello everyone. I was travelling through Richmond last night and had to go through a road block. After answering standard questions such as if I have had anything to drink, the officer pulled me over to the side. He then proceeded to walk around my vehicle and look at the front tires.

He asked for my license and papers, went back to his car, and then issued me a box 2 VI, saying that he thinks my tires are rubbing on the wheel well, because there are marks on the tires.

I didn't argue with him and just calmly took the ticket, because I know it wouldn't have gone anywhere, but the marks were there already when I bought the tires, and I have yet to rub once on my current set up because I have my fenders rolled as well as clearance for the tires.

Regardless of all that, is there any tips anyone who has gone through this process before can share with me. I did a search and so far the things I have are:

-lowest part of car cannot exceed lowest part of rims
-Headlights cannot be lower than 56 cm.

Any other things anyone can share will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Pretty bummed that even if I pass the VI, I still have to pay for it out of my own money just to prove my car is road safe though, .
Advertisement
GoneGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
is it the spec v in your profile youre talking about?

what did you expect with negi camber and stretched tires.....

Just call the place you plan on going and ask them what they will be looking for and what you need to change.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I also see wheels extending beyond the body...and whatever else there is that you have done from stock that attracted attention? Maybe louder exhaust, how you did any lowering, any parts removed, non authorized lights, ground clearance, tinted windows, tinted lights etc
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #4

No neg camber, wheels are straight and aligned, but the rims do stick past the body about quarter inch or so. The Officer said the only thing he was concerned about was the marks on the tires, and to re-attach my license plate to the original position.

No HIDs, windows tinted past rear, and no tinted lights. Is anyone aware of off the top of their head a rule of how much clearance has to be between the tires and the wheel well?

I guess tonight I'll search some ICBC approved shops that do inspections, and have some questions ready for tomorrow to ask them. Thanks for the replies, everyone !

Edit: Went to Canadian Tire by my house which is a designated store for VI's, and asked them my questions, and got the info I needed .

Last edited by GoneGuru; 08-07-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

No neg camber for both front and rear? That surprises me because a lot of cars come with neg camber in the rear.
Posted via RS Mobile
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneGuru View Post
Edit: Went to Canadian Tire by my house which is a designated store for VI's, and asked them my questions, and got the info I needed .
please do share for those who don't know
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoo- View Post
please do share for those who don't know
The guy that I talked to at the desk for the automotive department told me that they don't really look for things like wheel gap, so as long as there's no rubbing when the wheels are turned then it's alright. I also asked about how my rims are sticking out a bit from the car, and he told me that would be a fail.

To sum it up, He pretty much told me that I should put my car back to stock for whatever I could, and take it in to pass, and then afterwords if I want to risk putting all the stuff back on and getting another VI, or leaving it stock, was entirely up to me.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I got a box 2 last month. Ended up costing me $550 in parts I had to replace.
If you got coils just raise it up to almost stock height to be sure.
I got dinged for height, tear in seatbelt which I never even noticed, missing some oem clips, blacked out sidemarkers and needed new rotors (I was planning on getting new ones this summer anyways, but had to get them on to pass)
Posted via RS Mobile
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
I subscribe to Revscene

What is the rationale for the requirement for the fender to fully cover the top of the wheel/tire?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
What is the rationale for the requirement for the fender to fully cover the top of the wheel/tire?
I would imagine to prevent rocks or debris from being more easily deposited into the front of the vehicle behind. My jeeps have always thrown a pretty incredible amount of crap up behind me with the larger tires.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #11

^^ exactly.... a raised vehicle is more likely to throw shit from the tires thats why they require mudflaps.

i didnt get hassled for my poke, but honestly, how do you expect to deposit debris or rocks from a lowered car. since the car is already lowered, the fender/body itself is low enough to prevent any rocks from flying up. and if the tires are stretched, the walls that are poking out do not have threading to take in any debris to spit out.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #12
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneGuru View Post
The guy that I talked to at the desk for the automotive department told me that they don't really look for things like wheel gap, so as long as there's no rubbing when the wheels are turned then it's alright. I also asked about how my rims are sticking out a bit from the car, and he told me that would be a fail.

To sum it up, He pretty much told me that I should put my car back to stock for whatever I could, and take it in to pass, and then afterwords if I want to risk putting all the stuff back on and getting another VI, or leaving it stock, was entirely up to me.

It's nice that he decided to 'counsel you" to break the law. I'm sure the the MV Branch would love to hear what he is planning. They would yank his inspection licence in an instant. What you are planning to do is called "fail to maintain to standards". If it passes the inspection and you reinstall the illegal mods that is what you are doing. I can see a lawyer going after the inspector for what you discussed in the case of a lawsuit resulting from a crash. Get caught and you are looking at a #1 VI, a tow and likely individual tickets for each illegal mod. Put you car back to legal, nobody said it had to be stock.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
I don't get it

Deleted because of inappropriate content. Profanity and attitude are best saved for flght club, not this particular forum.

Last edited by zulutango; 08-08-2011 at 07:30 AM.
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
i didnt think rim poke was illegal, i thought the tread of the tire was in question when issuing a ticket. because the tread is what can grip debris and toss it, if there is no mud flap covering the extra tread poke.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...a3fc/event.png
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #15

^^... you said exactly what i said...
Old 08-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #16
Old School RS

Thanked 3,954 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Put you car back to legal, nobody said it had to be stock.
Are there really any modifications to a car that are actually legal?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #17
RS Peace Officer

"Mudguards

7.06 Every motor vehicle, trailer and semitrailer not constructed so that the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle is minimized shall be equipped with mudguards and, if necessary, mudflaps.

The inspection manual says '''Reject if" : wheels not enclosed by body"...or words to that effect.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
What you are planning to do is called "fail to maintain to standards". If it passes the inspection and you reinstall the illegal mods that is what you are doing.
This is done so often its not worth berating people over.

My summer rear wheels rub at full compression, so there's rub marks way up in the wheel well behind the tire. I know it won't pass a VI, yet the rub is so minor and so far up and back I'm not worried about an officer seeing it roadside.

The problem the OP has is that the tires stick out past the fender, probably as part of the "stance" trend right now. That's not minor like my rub, that's pretty blatant to see and thus the VI. OP you need rims with a smaller offset, otherwise I can see you getting another VI in the near future.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
I wish the mudguard rule was enforced a bit harder. Might have saved me from the rock chip in my windshield from a jacked up honkey trash truck when my car was less than a month old.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #20
RS Peace Officer

"My summer rear wheels rub at full compression, so there's rub marks way up in the wheel well behind the tire. I know it won't pass a VI, yet the rub is so minor and so far up and back I'm not worried about an officer seeing it roadside."

Personally I would be worried about what happens when the wheel gets jammed against your car body. I'm not berating people about it, simply telling anyone who really wants to info, as to what can happen if you play that game. I had 3 inspection centres loose their inspection privelages because of deliberately faulty inspections. It's unsafe and not legal. The individual inspector is also liable for a $345 ticket per faulty inspection.

"Are there really any modifications to a car that are actually legal? "

Lots of them. I upgraded my supercharger, inlet, injectors and remapped the ECR. Also added some badges, added some vinyl wrap to the roof and mirror covers...all legal. When you start cutting, removing and rendering stuff less effective than stock, you are asking for attention and for trouble.

Ditto what Great68 said about the flying stones that take out your windshield and cost you your deductable.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
"My summer rear wheels rub at full compression, so there's rub marks way up in the wheel well behind the tire. I know it won't pass a VI, yet the rub is so minor and so far up and back I'm not worried about an officer seeing it roadside."

Personally I would be worried about what happens when the wheel gets jammed against your car body. I'm not berating people about it, simply telling anyone who really wants to info, as to what can happen if you play that game.
Normally I appreciate your posts, yet the few in this thread are berating, not factual.

I'd be worried if my tires just jammed into my wheel wells too, yet if I hit something hard enough to do more than slightly rub against the plastic wheel well, then I've probably hit something hard enough to do far more damage than that.

The easy solution is to just rip the wheel well linings out, or since they are plastic just heat them up and push them in. Its not like we're driving old school muscle cars with metal wheel wells, everything today is plastic and will fail long before the wheels, tires, and suspension will.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #22
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
I thought you could have your tires stick out a certain amount? And ya, mudflaps... I should get on that.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:58 AM   #23
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
is it the spec v in your profile youre talking about?

what did you expect with negi camber and stretched tires.....
It still amazes me to this day... most of us here modify our cars to attract attention, forgetting completely about the "police attention" it also garners.

If you don't want to be noticed.. drive a stock car.. and drive like everyone else, instead of "to get noticed"
Old 08-09-2011, 06:45 AM   #24
RS Peace Officer

[QUOTE=taylor192;7538464]This is done so often its not worth berating people over.

My summer rear wheels rub at full compression, so there's rub marks way up in the wheel well behind the tire. I know it won't pass a VI, yet the rub is so minor and so far up and back I'm not worried about an officer seeing it roadside.

The problem the OP has is that the tires stick out past the fender, probably as part of the "stance" trend right now. That's not minor like my rub, that's pretty blatant to see and thus the VI. OP you need rims with a smaller offset, otherwise I can see you getting another VI in the near future.[/QUOTE
]

[B]Not to berate you, but I can't understand how any driver would not be concerned about the fact that a tyre is rubbing on the body. In my experience, tyres that rub on a car body can jam, overheat and fail. Up until this post,, my post have not been directed at you, they have been in response to questions from Goneguru. If he complains that my responses to his questions made him feel berated, then I will apologize to him in advance.[/B]
Old 08-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #25
I subscribe to Revscene

So as long as the top of the tire is covered by the fender, the lower back parts of the tire can be exposed, correct?

I'd hate to see grannies getting dinged with VIs in their Buicks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2005_buick_century_20126908-E.jpg (52.2 KB, 0 views)

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote