REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 08-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
TMT
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Insufficient EGR Flow

Hi my CEL has been on for a while. When my mechanic plugged in his error code reader. It read "Insufficient EGR Flow." He told me it was probably clogged up but it was good to drive and did not require attention right away. A few months have went by and I've been driving casually with this light on and I ask him again if I should try to fix it yet. He told me i dont have to worry about it yet because it doesn't effect the car's performance or the car itself in any way. And it just effected emissions. I was just wondering how much would it cost to repair this? Would it be easier and more worth it to just DIY, should I send my car to another mechanic? How much around would it cost to fix or should I just leave it. Thanks

01 Prelude SE
Advertisement
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
you will need to fix it sometime before your next AirCare.. because if you leave it too late.. the OBD won't have enough data, you will still get a fail.

An EGR valve retails for about $270. It is easy to DIY.

Also this returns at the top of the Google Search http://www.hondaprelude.to/forums/sh...your-EGR-Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftK1ng View Post
Hi my CEL has been on for a while. When my mechanic plugged in his error code reader. It read "Insufficient EGR Flow." He told me it was probably clogged up but it was good to drive and did not require attention right away. A few months have went by and I've been driving casually with this light on and I ask him again if I should try to fix it yet. He told me i dont have to worry about it yet because it doesn't effect the car's performance or the car itself in any way. And it just effected emissions. I was just wondering how much would it cost to repair this? Would it be easier and more worth it to just DIY, should I send my car to another mechanic? How much around would it cost to fix or should I just leave it. Thanks

01 Prelude SE
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Or u pull it apart and clean it out. Could very well just be carbon-ed n the diaphragm is sticking. Do that before u dump $300 on an egr u may or may not need.
Posted via RS Mobile
mx555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

Sounds like EGR ports are plugged. We don't really see much problems with the EGR valves themselves on the preludes.
There's 6 ports that have to be drilled out and cleaned. Then have to be capped off. Fairly common on these preludes and older accords
Old 09-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Just did EGR delete on a 99 prelude. No CEL so far. Been running for a few days now. Car runs fine.
makhna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
RS controls my life!

Sorry if this seems like a noob question, but whats "EGR delete"? Did you send it to the recycle bin?
Posted via RS Mobile
Puck Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #7

It means fooling the ECU into thinking that EGR is working ok so that it does not throw a CEL.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
RS controls my life!

sorry for the dumb questions but, how do you fool the ecu in regards to the egr?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #9

You are a Honda tech aren't you. Sorry but I will answer your question with a question:

How does the ECU control the EGR valve?

Hint:
Trace the flow diagram of the following components and create a schematic: ECU - EGR Soloniod - EGR valve/Sensor

Once you figure out how these components work together you will know the work around...
Old 09-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #10
RS controls my life!

i'm fully aware how the egr ecu system works. Not doubting it that it works, just wondering how its done. I'm looking at the diagram but still stumped
Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #11

here ya go....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg page1.jpg (133.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg page2.jpg (65.5 KB, 0 views)
This post thanked by: