REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 08-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Do I have to transfer?

I am currently attending Kwantlen and I have 30 credits with a 2.00 GPA. I've worked for a good year and have decided to take school more seriously before its too late.

My main goal is to make it to UBC Sauder but I will consider other options such as Ivey, if I can't make it to Sauder.

Should I stay at Kwantlen to boost back my GPA or transfer to Langara and start out fresh? Which route is the best to take?

I would prefer to stay at Kwantlen and it's probably too late to transfer right now but I plan on taking some courses at Kwantlen this semester.

Thanks
Advertisement
LaidbacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

it's better to retake your old courses to boost back up the gpa, i was applying for masters with a 2.9 (at the bare minimum) and my last 2 years in U (3rd year and 4th year) was all A's and B's and still it was 2.9 cas i was f*ing around back in 1st and 2nd year. better to think long term down the road cause you don't want to get screwed over in the long run because of all the shit you used to pull in first couple of years in U.

dont know about kwantlen though, but at sfu iirc some courses will have a mark saying you retook it and the newer grade will be the one recognized in overall GPA.
ks11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
c3m
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

To OP.

The first thing you should check is the requirements to get into UBC Sauder or whichever program you plan to transfer. (ie: GPA, courses for 1st, 2nd year)

Then make sure Kwantlen offers the courses that you need and are transferable. (check site to make sure Home Page - BC Transfer Guide )

Keep in mind that 60 credits are the maximum credits that most university in BC allow student to transfer from another institute. If you have more than 60 credits then they would take the most recent 60 credits.

My suggestion is that if you have some credits that are transferable from Kwantlen, then stay there and continue. Take some GPA booster courses or focus on 1st, 2nd year courses to fulfill the UBC Sauder requirement so you can just focus on 3rd and 4th level when you get transfer in the future.
c3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Retake imo.
Posted via RS Mobile
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
2.0 is way too low for any business school. You need a good foundation on 1 level and 2 level courses. You're already swimming at 2.0 so I wouldn't bet on a vastly improved result on upper level courses even if you plan to take them seriously.

I'd say bite the bullet and retake. It's the easier route. Don't forget to take all the requirement courses for second year. Aim for at least 3.0-3.5 to be competitive. And work on supplemental app by volunteering.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Thanks for the input.
LaidbacK is offline   Reply With Quote