REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Best "Hidden Gem" Restaurants (https://www.revscene.net/forums/651451-best-hidden-gem-restaurants.html)

neggo 08-11-2011 12:19 PM

Best "Hidden Gem" Restaurants

Hey guys,

Searched for a thread like this but nothing specific really appeared. This may benefit those looking for restaurants not really well known but are really good.

Any of you know any places? Suggestions are very much appreciated as a friend and I are looking for places to eat. And cuisine wise, nothing specific!

Thanks!

Ronin 08-11-2011 12:33 PM

The whole point of these restaurants is to keep it to yourself and your friends so they don't get busy and prices don't go up.

Matlock 08-11-2011 02:51 PM

Admiral pub has some awesome specials in burnaby
Just beware the scary old women singing on karaoke night
I never want to see an old hag wearing a feather boa singing spank me ever again

They have roast beef dinner or turkey on specific days for $5, good too
Posted via RS Mobile

one6o4 08-11-2011 03:59 PM

If you really want to find the hidden gem, look into La Belle Auberge. It's in the old village of ladner - the executive chef Tobias Mcdonald the right to represent Canada at the Canadian Culinary Federation's National Selection Competition held last year and won first place at World Association of Chefs' Society.

You can read more here: South Delta Leader - Ladner chef tops in taste

Website for La Belle Auberge:
LaBelle Auberge French Restaurant

aznorris 08-11-2011 04:06 PM

pho hoa

twitchyzero 08-11-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 7542033)
The whole point of these restaurants is to keep it to yourself and your friends so they don't get busy and prices don't go up.

I wished the whole world thinks like this. These hole in the wall places deserves all the word of mouth they can get just in case they go outta business.

Vansterdam 08-11-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

THIS.

i know a dope wings day spot thats in the GVA that i won't share due to it getting super busy lol

K-Dub 08-11-2011 05:15 PM

"Hidden gems" are like any restaurant, very subjective to ones tastes and likes/dislikes...so best bet is to just read lots of food blogs (like mine, blatant plug) and talk to your friends.

Culverin 08-11-2011 09:00 PM

Speaking of gems, since that fiasco of an opening night, has anybody gone back to Ge-B Izakaya? Hoping things might have settled down there. Also, does anybody know the story about what happened to the owners of G-Men and such?

Supafly 08-12-2011 07:58 AM

sawadee thai resto on Main St.....my fave for thai foods.
Besides; its my buds family that owns it... :fullofwin:

Presto 08-12-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 7542249)
THIS.

i know a dope wings day spot thats in the GVA that i won't share due to it getting super busy lol

Speaking of wings. It looks like the word is out on my favorite wings day place: The French Quarter Pub in Coquitlam. There were a lot of asians on the last wings night I went to. Usually, it's the local white folk. Thursday night wings are 20c and there's more than a dozen flavors to choose from.

MR_BIGGS 08-12-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 7542245)
I wished the whole world thinks like this. These hole in the wall places deserves all the word of mouth they can get just in case they go outta business.

I can't tell if Twitchy is agreeing with Ronin's post or disagreeing...

I like X-Site Grill and Bistro in North Burnaby for lunch. It's a great place to go to eat and have a couple cold ones.

Ikkaku 08-12-2011 11:01 AM

the skewer lunch at x-site is pretty good! went a few times when I was attending SFU.

As for the whole debate on whether it should be spread by word of mouth, there is a significant difference between word of mouth between friends, and word of mouth between a bigass forum.

I think Ronin and twitchy both mean it should be kept within friends as opposed to large scale exposure (just look at how RFD rapes good deals)

Culture_Vulture 08-12-2011 02:33 PM

the best way to find these restaurants is just to frequent local food blogs/review boards or talk to foodies...and actually go down and check it out yourself..

having said that, it does get quite costly to visit every restaurant you ever run across in search of a "hidden gem", which was probably why the OP made the post.

xmisstrinh 08-13-2011 09:54 AM

Au Petit on Main Street

dlo 08-13-2011 10:57 AM

^ hidden gem? LOl no where fucking close, place is busy as fuck and have been advertised to death in vietnamese newspapers

dignatas 08-13-2011 12:02 PM

japanese bbq and sushi in richmond called Charcoal

hidden gem. Only people living around the area knows about it. Packed at night but not that packed. Best to go early around 6. Expensive as hell but a hidden gem with great dishes and flavor

Charcoal Sushi and BBQ Restaurant | Richmond

Teh Doucher 08-13-2011 01:29 PM

anybody know of any good mexican places? im spoiled from all the hole in the wall mexican resturants in cali. fuck do they ever make some bomb wet burritos.

xmisstrinh 08-13-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheDLo (Post 7543933)
^ hidden gem? LOl no where fucking close, place is busy as fuck and have been advertised to death in vietnamese newspapers

i didn't know that. sorry.

MindBomber 08-13-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

If I know a great spot, then I'll share it with everyone, it might mean that it gets a little busier and prices go up slightly, but it also means that the establishment will be successful and the owners and staff will see a reward for their hard work.

It's hardly a secret spot, but Charlie's don't surf on white rock beach is one of my favourite places to go in the summer. Great drinks, food, service, relatively inexpensive and they usually have seats available on the patio right away. Cap the night off with a slightly drunken walk along the pier, with ice cream and cigar and life's good.

CRS 08-13-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dignatas (Post 7543964)

hidden gem. Only people living around the area knows about it. Packed at night but not that packed. Best to go early around 6. Expensive as hell but a hidden gem with great dishes and flavor

Hardly consider this place a hidden gem.

twitchyzero 08-13-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS (Post 7543023)
I can't tell if Twitchy is agreeing with Ronin's post or disagreeing...

I'm disagreeing with him.

Culture_Vulture 08-13-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dignatas (Post 7543964)

hidden? maybe
gem? definitely not.

cho 08-13-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheDLo (Post 7543933)

i still think its a pretty solid place for takeout

CRS 08-13-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cho (Post 7544094)
i still think its a pretty solid place for takeout

It's certainly a good place to eat but it isn't a "hidden" place by any means.