REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Miscellaneous Tech & Tools

Miscellaneous Tech & Tools THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Got an ATV or snowmobile you need to fix? Or are you wondering what the hell a crowfoot socket is for? Come on in and ask away!

Old 08-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Bolt stuck inside rubber grommet

Not sure where to ask this so if it's in the wrong section, please move it

I've got a bolt in my door panel that screws into a rubber grommet pressed into the inner door frame.

Halfway through tightening the bolt, all the resistance disappeared and now the bolt spins freely but it won't pull out of the frame. It sort of feels like the rubber grommet isn't catching on any part of the frame/slot it fits in.

I have a replacement grommet but the door panel won't come off cuz the bolt holds the grab handle in the middle of the door.

!B4KuoLw!2k~$(KGrHqQOKjQEyUdL!RQdBMo22mfl,Q~~_3.JPG

The bolt I'm talking about is circled, behind the silver trim piece. Hopefully this makes sense haha...

Any suggestions on how to get the bolt out?? Thanks!
Advertisement
Rated-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #2

hmmmm

Have you tried pulling on one corner of the door panel, to cock the whole thing, to see if you can get the grommet to grab again just enough to undo the bolt?

You could also try reaching up from the bottom with a long flathead screwdriver to try and hold the grommet from rotating while you undo the bolt.

*edit* just thought of another idea, maybe try this one first

make a little ball of masking tape to fill the socket you're going to use to undo the bolt, fill it with enough tape so the bolt just engages the flats, but has no room to go deeper into the socket. Then press inwards pretty hard as you undo the bolt, hopefully this causes the grommet to bind and not rotate with the bolt.

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net

Last edited by CanadaGoose; 08-20-2011 at 11:48 AM.
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Yeah, I've tried pulling on the handle to see if I can wedge the grommet against the metal to undo it but no luck.

I tried the screwdriver but from when I can feel around behind the panel, the grommet's pushed through the metal frame to secure it, so no dice there ...

I'll try the tape trick though, thanks!

I guess if worse comes to worst, the bolt will have to be cut to get the panel off and then the grommet can be removed??
Rated-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Any chance there's enough room behind there to lock on some needle nose vice-grips?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Bolts are cheap. Save some headache and just cut it with boltcutters or a dremel if space is tight.
DasHooch is offline   Reply With Quote