REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Question about police evidence and investigation (https://www.revscene.net/forums/652107-question-about-police-evidence-investigation.html)

LTB 08-21-2011 06:07 PM

Question about police evidence and investigation

So last night there was a huge fight on granville after the club, a few asian guys and others were beating up on some other guys. Police arrived on scene, I was watching the whole thing from across the street.

After the police handcuffed a few guys I walked over to a near by corner to look for my friend, the officer then points me out claiming someone had pointed me out as a suspsect and put me in handcuffs and took my information down. He looked at my fists/hands, clothes. I was clean no scuffs no signs of fighting because i wasnt involved.

my question is, can the officer do that? just because someone "pointed me out" even though i wasn't even involved.

The officer also said handcuffed a few other people who werent involved and took their information down such as girls. Saying that same thing "someone pointed you out as being involved" even though they were not. on top of that he finishes off by saying we are all under investigation for assault.

XplicitLuder 08-21-2011 06:31 PM

considering a cop can pull you over with "reasonable doubt to believe that blah blah" i assume they can handcuff you if someone pointed you out because then that's the "reason" that they have a witness. All i can say is if you have nothing to hide, no need to worry right ?

vafanculo 08-21-2011 06:44 PM

So did he release you saying you are good to go, or are you still a suspect under investigation?
Posted via RS Mobile

Soundy 08-21-2011 06:44 PM

Why would you get anywhere near this kind of thing? Idiot.

LTB 08-21-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7552982)
Why would you get anywhere near this kind of thing? Idiot.

it was on granville? there were many many many people on the strip at that time and it was next to fritz and a pizza stand where i was eating. yeah officer said we all could go but they add that "you are under investigation" but they have no evidence of anything. i have a feeling the officer is just saying that.

Qmx323 08-21-2011 06:57 PM

If you didn't do nothing, you ain't got nothing to worry about man.

zulutango 08-21-2011 07:07 PM

It is called investigating a crime. Officer safety is a prime consideration, specially involving an assault. Almost everybody lies to the Cops so until you are sure who the players are, who is a good guy and who is not, you secure and investigate and tell people that they are being investigated for the assault...and you were being investigated for that assault, specially since somebody pointed you out as an assaulter. Soon as the investigation shows you are not involved, as yours did, you are free to go, and you did. end of story in the real world.

Soundy 08-22-2011 06:48 AM

Look at it from the other side: if you're one of the guys getting beat up, you would want the cops to make sure ALL of your attackers were caught. If you thought you saw one of your attackers lurking to the side, pointed him out, and the cops just let him wander off without even checking him out, you'd be pretty pissed about it.

Unless you're wearing something really distinctive, it's probably hard for someone involved to tell from a distance that you're NOT one of the attackers still handing around. A few minutes' inconvenience is a small price to pay to make sure the thugs get hauled off the street.