REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #51
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Stop living in a land of fairy tales. My insurance works the same way, it punishes me, the owner, regardless of whomever I toss the keys to if they have an accident.
And do you think that's right? Why not insure the individual instead of the car? That way you punish the twit that crashed the thing, not the owner who wasn't anywhere near the collision.

You always take the position that a wrong-doer should man up and take responsibility for their cock-up, yet now you suggest that the owner who wasn't even in the car should be responsible instead?
Advertisement

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #52
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
And do you think that's right? Why not insure the individual instead of the car? That way you punish the twit that crashed the thing, not the owner who wasn't anywhere near the collision.

You always take the position that a wrong-doer should man up and take responsibility for their cock-up, yet now you suggest that the owner who wasn't even in the car should be responsible instead?
When you lend your vehicle to someone, you've taken on some of the responsibility, you're not absolved of responsibility as you wrongly believe. I have not let some people drive my car cause I didn't trust them. My parents bought my brother and I a POS to drive, cause they didn't trust us with their cars.

You can insure "just the individual" with private insurance as you can get insurance that doesn't allow anyone else to drive the vehicle. Thus you couldn't lend your vehicle to your kids and there'd be no issue.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #53
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
She would have known this how? By speeding tickets he may or may not have received? I'm sure he would have shown them all to her.
While your experience may have been different growing up, believe it or not, most parents are not oblivious idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainne View Post
Parental responsibilty aside, the law does not punish the perpetrator, it only serves to maximize revenue through the highest fines. By law, if a thief is caught excessively speeding in a stolen vehicle, the vehicle will be impounded at the owners expense.

Yes a parent has a responsibility to ensure their child is being responsible, but how can you justify that the parent or car owner or car lender should be held MORE culpable for the "misbehavior" than the actual perpetrator
Posted via RS Mobile
Nobody's holding her "more culpable" for anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
It'd be kind of like the son taking one of the mother's kitchen knives, stabbing someone and then trying to hold the mother criminally responsible for having the knives accessible in the kitchen. That would be pretty absurd, this situation isn't a whole lot different to me.
It's different if she HANDS him the knife, especially if she knows he has a propensity for cutting people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Stop living in a land of fairy tales. My insurance works the same way, it punishes me, the owner, regardless of whomever I toss the keys to if they have an accident.
This. When you register and insure a vehicle, you take on the responsibility for its use, PERIOD. If you ALLOW someone else to use it - a child, parent, friend, pet - you are still held responsible for how it's used. End of story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #54
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
This. When you register and insure a vehicle, you take on the responsibility for its use, PERIOD. If you ALLOW someone else to use it - a child, parent, friend, pet - you are still held responsible for how it's used. End of story.
I understand that's how the system works in BC, I'm not disputing that. But should it work that way? Does it hold the right person accountable when something goes wrong?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote