REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #101
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I went to coal harbour about 3 years ago and did the PRK. I recommend it. Sometimes I do wake up with my eyes a bit dry but overall I have no issues
Advertisement
jerche is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #102
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
What about pre-surgery feeling and procedure sharing? My uncle scaried me that surgeron will anesthesia my eye ball with a needle, so my eyes won't move, what is that all about?
Funny story when I was in school, I had corneal ulcer from the lab and they brought me into the medical center at Maggie Benston at SFU. They do not inject anesthesia but they just put a whole bunch of it. I literally have a pool of anesthesia on my face.

I moved a bit and it dripped down the side of my face and the side of my face was all numb and I was drooling out the side of my mouth. I doubt they will inject you with it.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #103
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
I asked again, my uncle had cataract, maybe different surgery.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #104
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
My cousin had PRK no touch and said right after it was the most fuckin painful thing ever he wanted to go into the emergency room it was so bad,he took the eyedrops and they weren't helping.

anyone else have this experience?
Old 03-12-2016, 08:14 AM   #105
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,918 Times in 3,876 Posts
It hurt like hell for me too, I mean they cut open your eye after all, so I used the numbing drops they gave me and took two Gravol and slept for a few more hours. I'm not sure if the numbing drops helped but my best advice to everyone is to take a full dose of Gravol as soon as you get home so you're knocked out before the freezing wears off.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #106
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
My cousin had PRK no touch and said right after it was the most fuckin painful thing ever he wanted to go into the emergency room it was so bad,he took the eyedrops and they weren't helping.

anyone else have this experience?
it was pretty uncomfortable. first day was the worst, but by day four the pain went away
MikeyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #107
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
I did PRK and I had no real noticeable pain until the 3rd day. It was absolutely excruciating no matter how much I opened my eyes it would tear up and hurt. Ended up spending the day just lying in bed. Besides that one time, it was pretty normal. My eyes were dry and tired and my eyes felt like there was sand in it.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2016, 09:13 PM   #108
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
seriously considering it now... but scuured.

my eyes. my beautiful woman viewing eyes.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:38 PM   #109
My homepage has been set to RS

it seems like the healing time is different for everyone.

But that pain eh...hmm. No pain no gain eh.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #110
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
So don't be a pussy and go balls to the walls with LASIK?
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:59 PM   #111
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
seriously considering it now... but scuured.

my eyes. my beautiful woman viewing eyes.
There's absolutely nothing to be scared of. I went to Coal Harbour and Dr. Kirzner took great care of me during the surgery. He had a very calm voice and would tell you exactly what he's doing and he'd count down the time you had left for that stage of the surgery. I was in and out of there in 5-10 minutes or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
it seems like the healing time is different for everyone.

But that pain eh...hmm. No pain no gain eh.
Healing time and pain levels will be different for each person. I took ~3 weeks to fully heal because I rubbed one of my eyes during the first week and that caused a micro tear. I thought I had dust in my eye, but turns out that's just my eyes being really dry. It's a very normal feeling during the healing process and all you need to do is continue to add eye drops and avoid rubbing or causing any friction between the eye and eyelids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 View Post
So don't be a pussy and go balls to the walls with LASIK?
There's nothing "pussy" about using PRK over LASIK. The treatment methods are different so the healing time is varied. If you do any contact sports then they usually recommend against doing LASIK.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:14 PM   #112
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
There's nothing "pussy" about using PRK over LASIK. The treatment methods are different so the healing time is varied. If you do any contact sports then they usually recommend against doing LASIK.
ok. where does it say that?
Farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:07 AM   #113

^ it's due to the flap not being 100% healed down for the first year. From what I researched, after a year it's as solid as before.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 05-20-2016, 10:53 AM   #114

any recent stories?

I'm going to go to some consultations. Prob either London eye or Pacific laser
Old 05-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #115
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Just had prk on my left eye done last month at Pacific laser with Dr. David lin.

He's a boss, it was very smooth and professional. No pain during and while healing.

One night playing poker it got really irritated for a few minutes. As long as you stay on top of ur eye drop regime it's all good. Dont rub ur eyes!
ynot-llat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:14 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynot-llat View Post
Just had prk on my left eye done last month at Pacific laser with Dr. David lin.

He's a boss, it was very smooth and professional. No pain during and while healing.

One night playing poker it got really irritated for a few minutes. As long as you stay on top of ur eye drop regime it's all good. Dont rub ur eyes!
How did you figure you paid all in? Including appts with your optometrist?
Old 05-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #117

Quote:
How did you figure you paid all in? Including appts with your optometrist?
The PRK with Pacific Laser was $2050.00, I not only had PRK but corneal cross linking procedure done as well as I have Keratoconus.
The follow up appointments with my optometrist (Dr. Sherman Tung) was about $500.00

Everybody that i talked to before doing it, said the same thing. "Best money i've ever spent"

I agree.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #118

wow, that's a great price. Your prescription must have not been that bad.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #119
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
wow, that's a great price. Your prescription must have not been that bad.
If a place is quoting or charging you based on your eye prescription strength then they're trying to take advantage of people. That shouldn't factor into the price of the procedure since it is all the same procedure regardless of prescription.
One of the many reasons I went to London Eye, and hear good things about Coal Harbor all the time as well.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604STIG View Post
If a place is quoting or charging you based on your eye prescription strength then they're trying to take advantage of people. That shouldn't factor into the price of the procedure since it is all the same procedure regardless of prescription.
One of the many reasons I went to London Eye, and hear good things about Coal Harbor all the time as well.
Pacific quotes based on Prescription, but they are pretty much the best I believe.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:56 PM   #121

Took the bite and got laser just under 4 weeks ago - PRK @ London Eye.
Eyes were about -6.5/-6.75

PRK itself was nothing really, something like 40seconds each eye. One patch on one eye, laser the other, vice versa. Look at the orange blinking light until it's done.

Doc then irrigates the eyes and that's pretty much it. He puts a contact lense in both eyes to aid the healing process. Pain-wise? There wasn't really much pain on the first day. I mostly kept them closed and listened to a bunch of podcasts.

That very night, the pain hit me like a ton of bricks. I expected it and should have used the pred forte (pain med) they gave. I slept it off.

At the end of Week 1 is where I experienced a chunk of the change. Unfortunately, from the end of week 1 to where I am now, I haven't really noticed much visible changes. I am still putting in tears roughly every hour (I use either refresh celluvisic/ bion tears/ or sometimes the preservative ones)

Driving is tricky. On day 5, the contacts were taken out and things were still blurry as shit. I struggled to read the biggest letters. Crazy enough, doc says' I'm still legally allowed to drive - i think that's insane.

Even at the moment, I could probably see maybe 10-15ft for a license plate in front of me. Long distance is still blurry. I have absolutely no problems for near sight things. Granted, this browser is at 150x zoom still. I'd call this vision, "functional blurry"

I'm not worrying just yet. PRK is incredibly varied among patients. I've read almost every story/blog out there. I will start panicking around the 2 to 3 month mark (Knowing that it can take up to 6 months).

Conclusion? Too early to say if I regret it or not. I'll update if I need a touch up or not. The sheer amount of time PRK is taking to resume my normal life is frustrating. At times, I wonder if I should have done Lasik instead.

P.S. London eye puzzles me a bit. Other clinics advise their patients about taking Fish Oil, Flax Seed, & Vitamin C before and after surgery to aid in healing. They never really informed me too nor was it in their phamplets.

2. London eye doesn't differentiate between preservative and preservative-free drops. The Opto said either was fine. Other clinics (googling) advise only preservative-free drops for the first couple of weeks and you can switch to cheaper preservative ones but ones without is recommended.

Last edited by subordinate; 07-16-2016 at 06:04 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2016, 10:14 PM   #122
Not a mod

I had PRK done at London Eye Care in 2011. It was easily the best investment I've made. Like you, I had my issues for the first several weeks and the irritation in each eye almost made me regret getting it done but I was at 100% around 3 months after the procedure. My most recent eye exam, I was told I have perfect vision - better than 20/20.

Be patient with the healing process. In time you'll realize it was worth it
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #123

Quote:
Took the bite and got laser just under 4 weeks ago - PRK @ London Eye.
Eyes were about -6.5/-6.75

PRK itself was nothing really, something like 40seconds each eye. One patch on one eye, laser the other, vice versa. Look at the orange blinking light until it's done.

Doc then irrigates the eyes and that's pretty much it. He puts a contact lense in both eyes to aid the healing process. Pain-wise? There wasn't really much pain on the first day. I mostly kept them closed and listened to a bunch of podcasts.

That very night, the pain hit me like a ton of bricks. I expected it and should have used the pred forte (pain med) they gave. I slept it off.

At the end of Week 1 is where I experienced a chunk of the change. Unfortunately, from the end of week 1 to where I am now, I haven't really noticed much visible changes. I am still putting in tears roughly every hour (I use either refresh celluvisic/ bion tears/ or sometimes the preservative ones)

Driving is tricky. On day 5, the contacts were taken out and things were still blurry as shit. I struggled to read the biggest letters. Crazy enough, doc says' I'm still legally allowed to drive - i think that's insane.

Even at the moment, I could probably see maybe 10-15ft for a license plate in front of me. Long distance is still blurry. I have absolutely no problems for near sight things. Granted, this browser is at 150x zoom still. I'd call this vision, "functional blurry"

I'm not worrying just yet. PRK is incredibly varied among patients. I've read almost every story/blog out there. I will start panicking around the 2 to 3 month mark (Knowing that it can take up to 6 months).

Conclusion? Too early to say if I regret it or not. I'll update if I need a touch up or not. The sheer amount of time PRK is taking to resume my normal life is frustrating. At times, I wonder if I should have done Lasik instead.

P.S. London eye puzzles me a bit. Other clinics advise their patients about taking Fish Oil, Flax Seed, & Vitamin C before and after surgery to aid in healing. They never really informed me too nor was it in their phamplets.

2. London eye doesn't differentiate between preservative and preservative-free drops. The Opto said either was fine. Other clinics (googling) advise only preservative-free drops for the first couple of weeks and you can switch to cheaper preservative ones but ones without is recommended.
Pacific Laser constantly reminded me that I had to continue taking fish oil and only use Refresh plus preservative free lubricating drops fyi
Old 07-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #124

I finally got my license renewed and got restriction 21 removed. The test was stupidly easy, I probably could've passed that with no glasses before the surgery (-6/-4.75 w/-1.25 astigmatism in both).
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I finally got my license renewed and got restriction 21 removed. The test was stupidly easy, I probably could've passed that with no glasses before the surgery (-6/-4.75 w/-1.25 astigmatism in both).
That's the scary thing.

Puts in perspective when you hear someone elderly go "I didn't see him/her"

Or when that Coquitlam senior ran over that 16 year old girl. The vision test needs to be more strict.