REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #76
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
i didn't have "high" astigmatism, was around .75 in both eyes. After surgery was all gone and eyesight was like a hawk. 1.5 years later my astigmatism is back, haven't gotten it tested to see how much is back but seems less. However maybe because I'm not nearsighted anymore so it seems less than before. Same thing happened with my friend where her astigmatism came back after a couple of years.
What age did you and your friend get the surgery done? I know they recommend to wait until you're 25+ since that's when your eyes settle and getting surgery done before that age can lead to your vision deteriorating.
Advertisement
jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #77
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar604 View Post
What age did you and your friend get the surgery done? I know they recommend to wait until you're 25+ since that's when your eyes settle and getting surgery done before that age can lead to your vision deteriorating.
got mine done at 27, she did hers at 23 i think
Old 03-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
Would you consider again surgery again to get back to the eyesight of right after surgery?
sorry, i'm having hard time understanding this haha. do you mean would I do it again to correct it further?

Yes if it gets super bad and it'll help. But my understanding is there's only a certain amount of times you can do laser eye before the cornea get's too thin for it. The thickness of the cornea doesn't grow back, so you can probably do it max 2 times forever it get's dangerous.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #79
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
I only ever do it once.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #80
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Hey guys,

Sorry to bump an old thread but I couldnt find any other recent ones.

I'm considering TransPRK(no touch) at Pacific Laser and London Eye. Can anyone chime in with their experiences at these two places? Already went to the consultation at both. Now I'm torn between them.

Quoted 3100 @ Pacific Laser, meds covered through insurance, plus another 500 or so for post care
Quoted 2500 @ London Eye, all inclusive.

What do you guys think? Is the 1000 premium worth it? Im willing to pay, afterall these are my eyes. Or are they both reputable enough that it wouldn't matter where I got it done.

Thanks
JayEch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #81
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEch View Post
Hey guys,

I'm considering TransPRK(no touch) at Pacific Laser and London Eye. Can anyone chime in with their experiences at these two places? Already went to the consultation at both. Now I'm torn between them.

Quoted 3100 @ Pacific Laser, meds covered through insurance, plus another 500 or so for post care

What do you guys think? Is the 1000 premium worth it? Im willing to pay, afterall these are my eyes. Or are they both reputable enough that it wouldn't matter where I got it done.

Thanks
Have you received a consultation at Coal Harbour Eye Center?

If you don't know already, all PRK procedures are the same and require no cut/touch. They are only trademarked for niche. The only difference will be the surgeon.

Last edited by willystyle; 12-23-2015 at 07:37 PM.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:49 PM   #82
RS controls my life!

just got mine done about two weeks ago at lasik md vision for $3,130 for their custom wavefront prk. cost also includes three eye exams after the first year
MikeyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #83
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post

If you don't know already, all PRK procedures are the same and require no cut/touch. They are only trademarked for niche. The only difference will be the surgeon.
I thought there was a difference in procedure. One peels off the layer with chemicals and the other with a laser, but most places is with a laser now.

Hows coal harbour? ill look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyStyle View Post
just got mine done about two weeks ago at lasik md vision for $3,130 for their custom wavefront prk. cost also includes three eye exams after the first year
How are you feeling about it?
JayEch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:19 PM   #84
RS controls my life!

vision is getting better and better each day, but things are still blurry

painful the first day, but it went away by the third. tears will just be rolling down your face uncontrollably

be sure to have someone with you for the first couple of days. thought i could tough it out, but it's definitely hard as you can't really open your eyes
MikeyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #85
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post

Quote:
I thought there was a difference in procedure. One peels off the layer with chemicals and the other with a laser, but most places is with a laser now.

How are you feeling about it?

I did mine at Coal Harbor and I would recommend it. It was cheaper than the other places and although you don't get to see the operating doctor until the day of surgery everyone there was friendly and knew what they were doing. Did hours of examination and everything was double checked day of. Did some research on my doc and he's supposed to be the best.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #86
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
From my understanding there's two methods, removal of the outer layers using chemicals (which then regrows) or cutting a flap (either by hand or using a laser). Personally I went with the laser cut flap as I saw lots of positives to it and it's the latest tech (but still around for long enough to be well proven) but everyones opinion will differ. It only hurt for a short while after surgery (which I slept though with some Gravol), and I was cleared to drive at the 24 hour follow up and cleared to work (lots of PC use) at 48.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:40 PM   #87
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I went to lasik md a few years ago. $2500 with the check afterwards. I took a cab home myself after walking around Robson looking for one. I still remember watching the olympics and playing video games that night. The sleep that night was pretty bad cause it was so dry.

My fiancé is legally blind with -11 or some crazy amount. getting it done was probably one of the best decisions Weve ever made. If you're holding off for something better in the future, you're just wasting your time. Of course technology is going to get better overtime but I've heard nothing but good things about getting lasik. The horror stories are probably 1 in 100,000 and it ain't even that bad
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:57 AM   #88
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Just want to clarify for some of you guys after reading the last couple of posts. PRK does not involve cutting any flap, the laser reshapes the outer layer of the eye by removing layers which are xx microns thick. Lasik involves cutting the outer flap, that's the all I know about Lasik.

I had PRK at London Eye about 7-8 years ago, best decision i've ever made. Was happy to the point my wife went there this year to have the procedure done. Also, price had nothing to do with my decision, in fact London was one of the more expensive places when I had it done. I would never let something like price dictate something as critical as eye surgery.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #89
Banned By Establishment

My wife, myself and several friends have all gone through London Eye and have had no issues
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #90
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:

ALL PRK procedures are the same, they take off a very thin layer of your eye with a laser. LASIK requires cutting with a surgical knife. To each their own which one's better.

All the PRK procedures with copyright names such as NO-TOUCH, NO-CUT PRK, etc. are all the same, they try to differentiate their procedures with fancy names, so they can set different prices.

I had consultations at London Eye Place Centre, Pacific and Coal Harbour. I went with Coal Harbour as I felt they were the most professional (staff-wise), their consultation was lengthy and thorough. They tested me with 6-8 different equipment, and the doctor is one of the best, if not, the best. At the time, price-wise, they were on middle-ground compared to Lasik MD (cheapest) and Pacific ($4000). It's been 6 years for me, no complaints here, best investment in my health ever.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #91

^ Not quite right, PRK is the removal of the layer using an alcohol solution or a tool, LASIK creates a flap using either a microkeratome (by hand) or a femtosecond laser (controlled by a computer). PRK vs LASIK depends on the person, but I think having the laser cut the flap is better.

There's also LASEK, but I think that's mainly used if you can't have PRK or LASIK for whatever reason.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 12-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #92
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Just want to add a note to Laser Eye Surgery. If you are born with any issue with your eyes (such as myself). Doesn't matter who is doing the Laser Eye Surgery for you, it doesn't really help. Been seeing my eye specalist every year and he always tells me Laser Eye Surgery won't do much for me since I was born this way........
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #93
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Just want to add a note to Laser Eye Surgery. If you are born with any issue with your eyes (such as myself). Doesn't matter who is doing the Laser Eye Surgery for you, it doesn't really help. Been seeing my eye specalist every year and he always tells me Laser Eye Surgery won't do much for me since I was born this way........
Well I have an eye condition that was told during my consultation that it would not be fixed with laser eye correction, so that will usually be discussed initially.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #94

Is there still a referral discount to London Eye or Coal Harbour?
noTirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:49 PM   #95

Old 01-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #96
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noTirl View Post
Is there still a referral discount to London Eye or Coal Harbour?
There is a $500 referral discount at London.

Did Intralase SBK there about 5 years ago. First few hours were tough (felt like there was sand constantly in your eyes) but just slept it off. No pain after the nap. Able to drive the next day after the checkup.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #97
My homepage has been set to RS

Any recent personal stories?

In the start of my research.

I have -6.00 ish eyes, and they've been stable for quite some time now.

PRK with Coal harbour or Pacific laser. Leaning towards Pacific Laser since it's the most preferred/go to place. Don't want to cheap out on a crucial procedure right?

Jayech? you still here? How'd it go?
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Any recent personal stories?

In the start of my research.

PRK with Coal harbour or Pacific laser. Leaning towards Pacific Laser since it's the most preferred/go to place. Don't want to cheap out on a crucial procedure right?

Jayech? you still here? How'd it go?
Do it and don't look back. It will change your life.
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2016, 11:32 PM   #99
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
What about pre-surgery feeling and procedure sharing? My uncle scaried me that surgeron will anesthesia my eye ball with a needle, so my eyes won't move, what is that all about?
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:20 AM   #100

^ they use drops to numb it, not a needle. 5 mins on Google should answer all those kinds of questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
I was at -6.25/-4.75 with -1.25 astigmatism in both and I think I'm something like -0.25/0 now. My aunt was at something like -10 and had to wear glasses and contacts and she's at something like -1.5 now.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: