REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   HID on bike (https://www.revscene.net/forums/652444-hid-bike.html)

KrAyZiE TRD 08-27-2011 03:50 AM

HID on bike

Anyone have aftermarket HIDs on their bike?
I got a 2005 600RR and find that the HID flickers after riding for 30mins or so..
Flicker as in they turn off and then back on.
Tried 3 different sets of ballasts and bulbs but the problem still persists.
I'm using a set of 35W DDM Tuning bulbs/ballasts now and they still flicker but not as bad as the cheap ebay ballasts I had before which would turn off for like 2secs and then come back on.

New battery and connections have been triple checked....
Only thing I can think of doing is hard wiring them to the battery and using a relay instead of plugging them into the headlight sockets.

CharlieH 08-27-2011 10:44 AM

had the nova kit on my 08 gixxer and my current 11' s1krr. not a single problem yet.

shelby zed 08-27-2011 12:14 PM

I have an h11 kit on my '10 gsxr and it kinda bounces? Not really flickers but still annoying
Posted via RS Mobile

Culverin 08-27-2011 04:04 PM

HIDs run hot, you might have a heat problem if your original housing wasn't originally designed for HIDs

6793026 08-29-2011 12:30 PM

jus so you know i had HID for my 99 R6 and it killed my battery and I had to take it off.

as for the 2003 600RR, it over heats a lot and i had to get a diff battery also. as for your bike, i know it's 2005, just make sure it's done properly as it killed my last few bikes... again, just experience and it might not have the same effect for your bike.

W2K 08-29-2011 02:38 PM

I have hid on my bike. I notice my hid flickers too and eventually the battery died on me one day when I was trying to take it out for a spin. Installed a battery tender ring terminal harness into the bike and I just let it charge every few days. Flickering is now gone.

KrAyZiE TRD 08-30-2011 11:01 PM

Yea I have my bike on a battery tender all the time when I'm not riding.
I don't think it's the battery cuz when I plug it in after riding, the tender says it's still 90% full and only takes a few mins to charge fully.

Maybe it's just voltage fluctuations causing it to turn off on on.... probably not as steady as on a car

parm104 09-02-2011 12:13 AM

I've had mine on for a year now, bought them from Bayside for about $80. Really cheap, but they work well with no problems. Installed myself to and I'm not very electrical saavy.

You might wanna take it by one of the shops to get the connections soldered so you can eliminate any possible wiring problems rather than spending more money on more kits...

silva95teg 09-02-2011 07:14 AM

Hid bulbs run cooler than halogen for the most part. I would almost say for sure a relay back to the battery triggered by the stock wiring will fix your problem. I retroed fx35 projectors into my bike with some oem ballasts and have had zero issues. Once they are warmed up and running the hid ballasts should use less power than the stock lamps.
Posted via RS Mobile

maxxxboost 09-03-2011 03:21 PM

Do you have hids on both lights or just the low beam? I have a 2005 600rr and have hids on it (just the low beam) I have no problems at all and everything is still running fine. Its been over 2 years since I've installed it. My kit came from ebay as well. Btw, where did you hide your kit? I was bairly able to put just my 1 hid on.
Posted via RS Mobile

silva95teg 09-03-2011 03:50 PM

I have it on both because I put in two bixenon projectors, I hid the ballasts behind the panels on mine. It is an fz6 so there is a little more room than a true sport bike I am sure.
Posted via RS Mobile

whitescirocco 09-08-2011 11:13 AM

Run a relay setup and your issues should be solved!! I managed to get a pair of HID's to run on my scooter and the generator on that thing is useless lol