REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 08-27-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

HID on bike

Anyone have aftermarket HIDs on their bike?
I got a 2005 600RR and find that the HID flickers after riding for 30mins or so..
Flicker as in they turn off and then back on.
Tried 3 different sets of ballasts and bulbs but the problem still persists.
I'm using a set of 35W DDM Tuning bulbs/ballasts now and they still flicker but not as bad as the cheap ebay ballasts I had before which would turn off for like 2secs and then come back on.

New battery and connections have been triple checked....
Only thing I can think of doing is hard wiring them to the battery and using a relay instead of plugging them into the headlight sockets.
Advertisement
KrAyZiE TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
had the nova kit on my 08 gixxer and my current 11' s1krr. not a single problem yet.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

I have an h11 kit on my '10 gsxr and it kinda bounces? Not really flickers but still annoying
Posted via RS Mobile
shelby zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
HIDs run hot, you might have a heat problem if your original housing wasn't originally designed for HIDs
Old 08-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
jus so you know i had HID for my 99 R6 and it killed my battery and I had to take it off.

as for the 2003 600RR, it over heats a lot and i had to get a diff battery also. as for your bike, i know it's 2005, just make sure it's done properly as it killed my last few bikes... again, just experience and it might not have the same effect for your bike.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
W2K
HELP ME PLS!!!

I have hid on my bike. I notice my hid flickers too and eventually the battery died on me one day when I was trying to take it out for a spin. Installed a battery tender ring terminal harness into the bike and I just let it charge every few days. Flickering is now gone.
W2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Yea I have my bike on a battery tender all the time when I'm not riding.
I don't think it's the battery cuz when I plug it in after riding, the tender says it's still 90% full and only takes a few mins to charge fully.

Maybe it's just voltage fluctuations causing it to turn off on on.... probably not as steady as on a car
KrAyZiE TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
I've had mine on for a year now, bought them from Bayside for about $80. Really cheap, but they work well with no problems. Installed myself to and I'm not very electrical saavy.

You might wanna take it by one of the shops to get the connections soldered so you can eliminate any possible wiring problems rather than spending more money on more kits...
Old 09-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Hid bulbs run cooler than halogen for the most part. I would almost say for sure a relay back to the battery triggered by the stock wiring will fix your problem. I retroed fx35 projectors into my bike with some oem ballasts and have had zero issues. Once they are warmed up and running the hid ballasts should use less power than the stock lamps.
Posted via RS Mobile
silva95teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Do you have hids on both lights or just the low beam? I have a 2005 600rr and have hids on it (just the low beam) I have no problems at all and everything is still running fine. Its been over 2 years since I've installed it. My kit came from ebay as well. Btw, where did you hide your kit? I was bairly able to put just my 1 hid on.
Posted via RS Mobile
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I have it on both because I put in two bixenon projectors, I hid the ballasts behind the panels on mine. It is an fz6 so there is a little more room than a true sport bike I am sure.
Posted via RS Mobile
silva95teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Run a relay setup and your issues should be solved!! I managed to get a pair of HID's to run on my scooter and the generator on that thing is useless lol
whitescirocco is offline   Reply With Quote