REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   False icbc claim against me (https://www.revscene.net/forums/652944-false-icbc-claim-against-me.html)

03c0upe 09-04-2011 11:10 PM

False icbc claim against me

Ok i was putting out my business cards in peoples car windows, in a few parking lots, and the next day i get a call from icbc saying someone filed a icbc claim against me. I guess icbc and the person filed claim thought i hit the car and left my contact info(my business card) in the window. I told her no I was promoting my business by leaving my cards on the cars. Icbc asked what car i drive and she said yup thats the car and license plate i was given which is false when no one even got my car info. Now icbc wants me to come in and bring my car in so they can look at it. This is complete bs. They have no proof what car i was driving all they have is my name and # which gives them my car info because its under my name. Anyways what options do I have in this position because im worried that some old scratches on my car might get the blame put on me, im going icbc tomorrow if i have to...

zulutango 09-05-2011 05:48 AM

It seems that one of the car owners says that your vehicle damaged their car when it hit it. ICBC can run a database search to see if you own a car that was described by the "witness" who supposedly saw you hit the car. If you do, then that would further reinforce what the "witness saw happen". Their investigators will see if the "old scratches" on your car will line up with the brand new damage on the other car when you bring it in. BTW, it is very easy to recognize new damage from old damage.

If you are concerned for your legal rights then you should consult a lawyer. In the meantime, trying to minimize any previous "old scratches' could be looked on as hiding evidence. If you did exactly what you said and just put business cards under people's wipers then why are you concerned about being blamed for damage that could not possibly have happened?

Berzerker 09-05-2011 06:55 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself.

If you did nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

You saying you have "old scratches" makes you sound suspicious. The adjusters at ICBC are not incompetent and it's very easy to tell if damage from 2 vehicles line up. Besides you don't know "when" or "where" this person is claiming you damaged their vehicle. It doesn't necessarily have to be from that parking lot where you left your business cards.

Berz out.

CRS 09-05-2011 09:22 AM

Next time, stop trying to advertise yourself by placing business cards on cars.

Meowjin 09-05-2011 11:56 AM

yeah i would never call someone that did that.

03c0upe 09-05-2011 01:43 PM

the car owner has no clue what car I drive...he just called icbc with my name and # which was on the card and thought i did the damage since i left my card. Even icbc was asking what car i was driving around.

03c0upe 09-05-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7568134)
It seems that one of the car owners says that your vehicle damaged their car when it hit it. ICBC can run a database search to see if you own a car that was described by the "witness" who supposedly saw you hit the car. If you do, then that would further reinforce what the "witness saw happen". Their investigators will see if the "old scratches" on your car will line up with the brand new damage on the other car when you bring it in. BTW, it is very easy to recognize new damage from old damage.

If you are concerned for your legal rights then you should consult a lawyer. In the meantime, trying to minimize any previous "old scratches' could be looked on as hiding evidence. If you did exactly what you said and just put business cards under people's wipers then why are you concerned about being blamed for damage that could not possibly have happened?

I was only concerned because i have previous marks,also i shouldn't even have to go in the icbc office. For what because someone thought i hit their car because i left a business card . My card being their doesn't mean i was even near the vicinity i could have gotten people to hand my cards out.

hchang 09-05-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03c0upe (Post 7568438)
I was only concerned because i have previous marks,also i shouldn't even have to go in the icbc office. For what because someone thought i hit their car because i left a business card . My card being their doesn't mean i was even near the vicinity i could have gotten people to hand my cards out.

After you've posted this post I'm convinced that you actually hit the car.

Why are you being so defensive about it and just had to mention that "you didn't need to be in the vicinity"

If you honestly did not hit it, then previous scuff marks are completely irrelevant.

And also.... does leaving business cards on peoples windshields actually bring you business?

Whenever I receive a card or any advertisement I throw it on the ground.

A buddy of mine on the other hand, will call the number and demand for a reason why they touched his car :lol

zulutango 09-05-2011 08:28 PM

If your vehicle was involved in a crash you must report it within 24 hours in town. Somebody named your car as the one that caused the damage. If you were involved and do not report it you likely will be charged for failing to report it. If you did nothing then why are you looking for reasons to not show up, show them your undamaged car and be on your way after having proved you did not do it. I'm begnning to agree with the post above. You are acting and sounding like somebody who is guilty of hit & run and is scared of getting caught.

twitchyzero 09-05-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

also i shouldn't even have to go in the icbc office.

If you've got nothing to hide, it takes less than 15 min.

By postponing/refusing to cooperate you are only raising further suspicions.

sebberry 09-05-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 7568452)
Whenever I receive a card or any advertisement I throw it on the ground.

I hope you at least walk it over to a trash bin.

Marco911 09-06-2011 03:14 AM

I'm not sure how you guys read that he is trying to avoid responsibility for the accident. He wouldn't have left his business card info on the car if he was. Also, I agree with the OP, that it is B.S. that he has to take time out of his day to go to ICBC based on a false accusation. If ICBC got his info from the business card and his explanation makes sense, that's good enough. There is no evidence that someone reported his car as being involved in a hit and run.

600rr 09-06-2011 08:26 AM

ICBC is just doing their job, being the third party they have to believe every side of the story. Legally, it's their job to ensure your car is estimated to rule you out as the damager. Just how police have suspects.

Put it this way, being that you are 100% confident you did not hit this car. By showing up, you are doing 2 things for yourself. 1. Proving the other party is full of sht with their claim. and 2. You can pursue a diff. legal route if you feel this has inconvenient you against the other party.

Unfortunately, I don't think theyll be calling you for your business in the future.

BlackZRoadster 09-06-2011 08:54 AM

i hate ppl who leave shit on my windshield. Especially parking tickets

littledog 09-06-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco911 (Post 7568928)
I'm not sure how you guys read that he is trying to avoid responsibility for the accident. He wouldn't have left his business card info on the car if he was. Also, I agree with the OP, that it is B.S. that he has to take time out of his day to go to ICBC based on a false accusation. If ICBC got his info from the business card and his explanation makes sense, that's good enough. There is no evidence that someone reported his car as being involved in a hit and run.

Obviously someone filed a claim with ICBC with his car being involved. ICBC even confirmed the car info as per the OP's post. If only the information on his business card was given, there is no way that ICBC can trace and matched the car description & license plate.

Five-Oh 09-06-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Put yourself in the reverse situation. Say you came out to your car and there is a note on your window saying that car 'x' with plate "123abc' hit your car. You have a bunch of damage on your car so you take it to ICBC with the note. A week later ICBC calls you back and says "we called the owner of car 'x' and he said he didn't hit your car and we just took his word for it instead of actually looking at the damage on his car. So because he says he didn't do it, you owe us $300 for your deductible."

How happy would you be that ICBC just took his word for it instead of actually doing an investigation and now you're out $300?

krazynuck 09-06-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster (Post 7569051)
i hate ppl who leave shit on my windshield. Especially parking tickets

I hate people can afford nice cars but can't put a quarter in the parking meter to get that parking ticket

BlackZRoadster 09-06-2011 10:24 PM

^ agree with you especially when I see nice cars like lambos, ferraris etc. Too bad my car isn't considered a nice car or I'd hate myself too
Posted via RS Mobile

03c0upe 09-07-2011 07:57 PM

I'm not trying to hide anything, no one reported my car or license plate. All icbc going by is the information that i have on my card,...no note.

anyways why am i being defensive? When i talked to icbc she didnt know what car i was driving at the time of this apparent incident. Then after i told her what car i drove. shes like oh yup thats the car. she admitted she didnt even have a license plate #. I have to go in just the fact my card was left and the person has damage on the car. If i did hit the car why would i leave my card and later deny it?

twitchyzero 09-08-2011 01:54 AM

:seriously: Is it such an inconvenience to bring your car in?

firebird79_00 09-08-2011 06:29 AM

Last person to put something on the windshield of my car got a rock through there buisness window

Spidey 09-08-2011 06:41 AM

people who leave shit on my car are annoying as hell.. Anyways, here are my theories,

1)you hit the car without knowing/knowing

2)someone is trolling you.. notice how they asked YOU what your plate was and not, "we have your plate number is it......"

3)someone saw new damage on their car and thought your card was there telling them you hit them

I think you are being trolled. The only reason they got your number was from your card. If someone actually caught you, they would have reported your plate.

Spidey 09-08-2011 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazynuck (Post 7569861)
I hate people can afford nice cars but can't put a quarter in the parking meter to get that parking ticket

it's more like they don't care if they get a ticket. they have expensive cars because they are mr. moneybags... you think a 20 dollar ticket will ruin their day if they have the money to afford a 500k car?

cruz-in 09-30-2011 11:29 AM

is your business a detailing or body/repair shop? lol

fsy82 09-30-2011 12:23 PM

Why are you still posting on here. Stop wasting bandwidth and report back ONLY after you have visited ICBC