REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Shipping to the USA (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653083-shipping-usa.html)

Acura604 09-07-2011 06:54 AM

Shipping to the USA

I'm selling off some headlight modules and need to ship to the USA.

I've got all the packaging done and they are all boxed up...what would be
the most cost effective yet reliable method of shipping WITH tracking
information?

I checked Canada Post and they have the cheapest way via
'expeditated parcel USA'.

Also...what kind of form has to be filled out and do I declare the value
of the good the same as the price that it was sold for?

Thanks!

Farfetched 09-07-2011 05:45 PM

Canadapost is fine for most things. Just make sure it has tracking/confirmation. The postal worker will help you with the necessary forms. The price is generally what it was sold for. IF the package is broken you'll get that declared value provided there is insurance. On the flip side, it is also how much they'll tax whomever is receiving the package.

jeedee 09-07-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 7570173)
I've got all the packaging done and they are all boxed up...what would be
the most cost effective yet reliable method of shipping WITH tracking
information?

I checked Canada Post and they have the cheapest way via
'expeditated parcel USA'.

Yeah, expedited is fine cost wise but expect delivery to the US to be within 2-4 weeks depending how long customs inspects it for. If you're looking for a faster service, Xpresspost is perfect, but pricey. It's up to you; you pay for what you get.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 7570173)
Also...what kind of form has to be filled out and do I declare the value
of the good the same as the price that it was sold for?

You'll have to fill out a form at CanadaPost which contains the name of the item, value, weight and signature. For the value, it's up to you. Just a tip though, to minimize brokerage fees/custom fees upon US arrival, the best would be to mark the item as a gift with a $40 value. But you could mark it the value you sold it for, but you could expect a pissed off buyer demanding why they had to pay more.

dave123 10-01-2011 12:31 PM

The most cost effective way to ship (if you have the time and are planning a trip down there) is to drive it down to point roberts or blaine.

Shipping to anywhere in the world is cheaper from US Postal Service than it is from Canada post. It's kinda ridiculous that sending a package from Vancouver to say Toronto is about 50% more than using US Postal from Blaine to Toronto.