REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-09-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Shipping/Importing Cars from the States - Questions

I'm looking to buy a car in the states (New Jersey) and have never done this before. If anyone has had experience with this, please give me advice / provide answers to my questions:

1. Which shipping company(ies) would be the best to use?

2. Is there any way to get insurance for myself, if the car is damaged (by the shipping company) or not as the seller described it? (i.e. car is a different colour, etc...)

3. If I ship the car to the Washington border, what sort of taxes/fees would I be eligible for, and what documentation would be neccessary to get the car across the border?

4. Should I go through a broker (and subsequently end up paying more), but not have to deal with the extra hassle? On average, how much more would I be looking at?

Thanks, and if anyone has any extra comments they would like to add it would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Nechako87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,777 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/35580...-province.html

should answer all your questions.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #3

Thanks CRS
Old 09-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nechako87 View Post
1. Which shipping company(ies) would be the best to use?
I've used independent shippers from uShip and one major shipper (Allied Van Lines.)

Quote:
2. Is there any way to get insurance for myself, if the car is damaged (by the shipping company) or not as the seller described it? (i.e. car is a different colour, etc...)
Most shippers will offer to sell you insurance.

Quote:
3. If I ship the car to the Washington border, what sort of taxes/fees would I be eligible for, and what documentation would be neccessary to get the car across the border?
If the car is < 15 years old, you will be subject to duty on the vehicle (depending on build origin.) VIN numbers beginning from 1 - 5 I believe are duty free as part of the NAFTA agreement. You will also be subject to paying a fee to RIV Canada ($2xx IIRC.) In addition, A/C fees and GST.

If the car is > 15 years old, you will only subject to A/C fees and GST. No duty on cars over 15 years old and no RIV fee as they are not applicable.

You need to contact US Customs and Border Protection at least 72 business hours in advance with a scanned copy of the title, bill of sale, and a Worksheet 1. If you need the worksheet for US CBP, PM me. I recently imported a motorcycle, in fact, just yesterday. I have imported 3 cars and 2 motorcycles from the US.

Quote:
4. Should I go through a broker (and subsequently end up paying more), but not have to deal with the extra hassle? On average, how much more would I be looking at?
This depends. There are different angles on this question. Some people don't want to deal with anything. Some people want to be more involved. I prefer to be more involved with the process so I do everything myself, from arranging a PPI to the paperwork, to having it shipped into Canada and its inspections.

I know the most difficult import I've dealt with was for the M3 and that was having to deal with the obstacles BMW Canada set up. Oh, and yeah, Fuck You BMW Canada!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #5

Thanks guys!

I got some reading to do!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
RS Veteran

In all honesty, try to find a car on the west coast. It will be a lot cheaper and easier to deal with.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 09-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Yes, especially for us in BC it is easier to use BC as port of entry, going through Windsor is a PITA, not to mention the insurance companies in Ont. I would suggest a cross country drive with the weather still nice.

What problems did you have with BMW Canada, bcrduke? and when? The last car I did was a Z4M about 3 years ago.. it wasn't as difficult say vs a Mercedes.

There are so many car brokers out there, a lot of places like Urban Garage etc source cars for you from the States.. of course it depends on what car the OP is thinking.. I think it is only worth importing for cars that are less pedestrian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
In all honesty, try to find a car on the west coast. It will be a lot cheaper and easier to deal with.

Last edited by godwin; 09-09-2011 at 12:06 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Good point. The cars are slightly more expensive in California, but the difference in shipping cost / hassle will nullify that.

I think my biggest worry about buying a car in the states is the fact that I cannot test drive / physically see&touch the car. I have to go through pictures / videos from the seller.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
RS Veteran

Just having to deal with their silly mandatory US Inspection (basically a VI and then having to do a provincial VI) and having to pay for a recall letter. It cost me more time and money than I had planned. There was absolutely no flexibility with them. I had a very solid plan in which I was extremely confident in but BMW Canada came in and ruined it all. In the end, it wasn't about the money. It cost me a lot of time.

I understand it was easier 3 years ago (based on reading different forums/experiences.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nechako87 View Post
I think my biggest worry about buying a car in the states is the fact that I cannot test drive / physically see&touch the car. I have to go through pictures / videos from the seller.
If you are serious about a particular car, I highly suggest arranging a PPI with a reputable dealer or independent shop. I've done that myself before and on several times, it saved me thousands of dollars. The only alternative is you fly down to look at it yourself.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
last car i imported i bought in florida and had it shipped. paid $1100 for shipping. it was a lot cheaper than flying there and spending my time/money driving the car back... if I was buying a car in california, I would drive it back. My previous car i bought in las vegas and drove back myself, wasnt bad at all....
big issues come in when you are trying to transfer warranty and obtain recall clearance letters. Big name companies like BMW and Mercedes have started charging money for these stupid letters. Mercedes charged me $250 for the stupid letter... from what I know, BMW charges about $700? then if you want a canadian dealership to honor your warranty, they have to convert the car to canadian spec. that means cluster, any markings in the car that are different between US/Canada and so on. Mercedes wanted $7500 to convert my car to CAD spec. i told them to go fuck themselves.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote