REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

School speed zone boundaries

Was wondering if anybody knows what are the actual boundaries of a school speed zone?

It can be pretty confusing when you see a school that have signs for example two blocks away from the school if you are heading east and a sign that's about 25 meters before the school boundaries heading north?

Driving paranoid around schools now with all the news on the tube about police crackdowns and speed traps I've been seeing
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraemon76 View Post
Was wondering if anybody knows what are the actual boundaries of a school speed zone?

It can be pretty confusing when you see a school that have signs for example two blocks away from the school if you are heading east and a sign that's about 25 meters before the school boundaries heading north?

Driving paranoid around schools now with all the news on the tube about police crackdowns and speed traps I've been seeing
The school zone begins when you see the the sign and can READ the lettering. The school zone ends when you pass the sign to be read when coming the opposite way. That is why we are taught to recognize sign SHAPES ....we can tell what the sign is from behind!
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

I was always under the impression it was from sign to sign.

In other words..

I would love to insult you but you wouldn't understand.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
The sign in the ground is the actual start of the zone, the zone finishes at the sign in the ground that is turned away from you as it shows the start of the zone to cars coming towards you. Some areas have "school zone ends" signs on the backs of those signs to make it easier. Like all speed limit signs, the zones start and finish at the actual sign post...unless you are inside a municipality where they don't need to display actual signs.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Like all speed limit signs, the zones start and finish at the actual sign post...unless you are inside a municipality where they don't need to display actual signs.
Sorry, can you clarify that bit? I know they don't need to display "Max 50kph" signs, but they still need to display School Zone/30kph/8-5 signs, no?

And why are there no requirements to notify drivers of new school zones?

I was on one road the other day and I am familiar with the school zone along one segment of it and always prepare to slow down before the sign.

However, prior to reaching this zone there is another school which just had new school zone signs put in. No advance notification of a traffic pattern change or anything. I drive the route regularly and wasn't expecting to see the sign there.

Paying attention to the car not slowing down for the yield sign across the intersection, it wasn't until the last second that I saw the school zone sign. Fortunately I already had my foot on the brake for the car blowing the yield sign so bringing the car down by 20kph for the new school zone sign wasn't too much of a problem.

But I can see how installing a school zone speed limit on a section of road where drivers aren't used to seeing one would be a good revenue generator for a cash strapped province.

Could someone please remind me why middle school students, who are now old enough to receive drug and sex-education need me to slow to a crawl?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Sorry, can you clarify that bit? I know they don't need to display "Max 50kph" signs, but they still need to display School Zone/30kph/8-5 signs, no?

Because we are supposed to drive with "due care and attention"!

Quote:
But I can see how installing a school zone speed limit on a section of road where drivers aren't used to seeing one would be a good revenue generator for a cash strapped province.
Huh? It's a school zone...THAT'S why they put those signs there! And....we are supposed to drive with "due care and attention"!

Quote:
Could someone please remind me why middle school students, who are now old enough to receive drug and sex-education need me to slow to a crawl?
So we have time to stop when they decide to cross the street without looking! And it's not just students that are oblivious to traffic..... I know, you're gonna say we should have 30k speeds all over then..let's just say we are cutting the students some slack!
Old 09-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:

You are obeying the "regulatory sign" ( 30 max 8am-5pm etc) under the "warning/advisory" school sign...the 5 sided blue/green? etc one.

I'm sorry, I'll ask MVB to send you a personally engraved announcement of all new signs.
A safe, trained driver is looking a minimum of 12-15 seconds down the road, looking for important things like regulatory signs. Sometimes they put up "traffic patern change" advisory signs, but there is no requirement to do so, specially if you are a good driver. personally, in school zones, you know ehere those big school building are, I'm on the lookout real big time. Speeding soccer moms in mini vans, big school busses, running kids...and signs telling me when I'm out of the mine field.

I was on one road the other day and I am familiar with the school zone along one segment of it and always prepare to slow down before the sign.

However, prior to reaching this zone there is another school which just had new school zone signs put in. No advance notification of a traffic pattern change or anything. I drive the route regularly and wasn't expecting to see the sign there.

Paying attention to the car not slowing down for the yield sign across the intersection, it wasn't until the last second that I saw the school zone sign. Fortunately I already had my foot on the brake for the car blowing the yield sign so bringing the car down by 20kph for the new school zone sign wasn't too much of a problem.

Where I live, they only put 30 k limits for elementary and junior kids and then only on smaller non-arterial roads. High schoolers get the blue warning sign but no regulatory signs underneath. The worst problem with school kids here is the ones from the high school who run across 4 lanes of arterial traffic instead of using the pedestrian activated traffic lights at either end of the block they are crossing, on their way to 7-11 & Subway at the end of the block.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:00 AM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:

Maybe you should just stay home, or stick to taking the bus, since you regularly seem to be completely baffled by these sorts of things. Obviously driving is a very confusing task for you.

Quote:
As opposed to installing a school zone speed limit WHERE THERE'S A SCHOOL?? They probably spent a few million to put the school there too, just so they could create a new speed zone in order to catch you off guard and get your $196.

This idea that traffic fines are used as revenue generators is idiotic in the extreme. If people actually followed the signs, there'd be no more fines, and no more income stream - the whole concept is self-defeating.

Plus, if they were really serious about making money from it, I could suggest a few locations where they could really clean up... like at Lougheed Hwy. westbound and Dewdney Trunk Rd., just before the Pitt River Bridge: the right-turn light for Dewdney turns red, and EVERY SINGLE TIME, there are as least three or four cars in BOTH LANES that flow right on through. Sometimes you can even see the driver look left before flying through the red, to see if he has space before the cars on Lougheed THAT ARE ALREADY MOVING.

And now there's the new bus-only lane there on Lougheed that drivers are regularly using as a "cheat lane" at that light - there are at least two or three sitting waiting there every time I stop at that light these days.

If it was all about cash grabs, the cops would be sitting there on a daily basis and probably have the provincial debt erased in a week. If cops really did have "quotas" they could fill them in a day by watching that intersection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Moscrop secondary school is the only high school I know of so far that gets the 30km/h
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
This idea that traffic fines are used as revenue generators is idiotic in the extreme. If people actually followed the signs, there'd be no more fines, and no more income stream - the whole concept is self-defeating.
No, never in the history of traffic enforcement has a government ever relied on projected income from traffic fines for their budgets.

If it's not about money, then perhaps suspend a speeder's licence for 24hrs instead of fine them. Just a thought.

And just for the record, my views on "go with the flow" go out the window in school and playground zones. That's why notice of a change of traffic patterns would be nice. A sign will do, no need for an engraved plaque.

I am curious however as to how many "following too closely" tickets are issued in school and playground zones?

Last edited by sebberry; 09-11-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
...on a mission....

Quote:
No, never in the history of traffic enforcement has a government ever relied on projected income from traffic fines for their budgets.
Well, if drivers are DUMB enough to keep breaking the rules...I'm sure police agencies and the government will gladly keep taking their money! But who really is in control of that situation????? THE DRIVER!!!! So, that kind of negates your way of thinking!

Quote:
If it's not about money, then perhaps suspend a speeder's licence for 24hrs instead of fine them. Just a thought.
How many drivers would survive not driving for 24 hours? If that is the only result for speeding, dangerous driving etc. you would find MANY more drivers doing it as a 24 hour suspension isn't "too" bad. Now, take money from them every time...and the "piggy bank" will feel it! There becomes a COST to "breaking the rules"! How about putting the drivers in jail for 24 hours instead of fining them? Mmmmm....that might just work......remember Bubba?

Quote:
And just for the record, my views on "go with the flow" go out the window in school and playground zones. That's why notice of a change of traffic patterns would be nice. A sign will do, no need for an engraved plaque.
Maybe eye sight is a problem? Can you not see a block ahead of you? Can you not see the shape and the "extreme" color of a school zone sign? I'm an "old" guy and I can see the color of a school sign blocks away, ESPECIALLY IF ITS A NEW SIGN, SOMETHING DIFFERENT!! This is part of "driving with due care and attention". You must have a terrible time driving in an area or city you haven't been before.......
Old 09-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Every time I read sebberry's posts, I just refer back to his user title and then I don't feel so bad.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
Moscrop secondary school is the only high school I know of so far that gets the 30km/h
Posted via RS Mobile
I've seen them in front of Burnaby North, Alpha, near Burnaby South and "behind" Burnaby Mountain.

We don't separate Junior High and High here, so those schools which service both the younger and older punks have school zone signs. As one of my friends once said; "They really need the signs more at Highschools--when you're a little kid you know that you have to follow the rules. When you get to highschool you think you rule the world."
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #14
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simnut View Post
Well, if drivers are DUMB enough to keep breaking the rules...I'm sure police agencies and the government will gladly keep taking their money! But who really is in control of that situation????? THE DRIVER!!!! So, that kind of negates your way of thinking!
No, it doesn't really. There are countless reports of yellow light timing being too short in order to boost the number of tickets issued for a particular intersection.

If photo radar worked, it would be a money losing program.

Arizona budget shortfall, traffic cameras to raise revenue

Quote:
How many drivers would survive not driving for 24 hours? If that is the only result for speeding, dangerous driving etc. you would find MANY more drivers doing it as a 24 hour suspension isn't "too" bad. Now, take money from them every time...and the "piggy bank" will feel it! There becomes a COST to "breaking the rules"! How about putting the drivers in jail for 24 hours instead of fining them? Mmmmm....that might just work......remember Bubba?
Fine, make it a three day impoundment. But I think you'd find most drivers would prefer a $150 ticket and be sent on their way, vs. having an immediate 24hr roadside suspension.

Quote:
Maybe eye sight is a problem? Can you not see a block ahead of you? Can you not see the shape and the "extreme" color of a school zone sign? I'm an "old" guy and I can see the color of a school sign blocks away, ESPECIALLY IF ITS A NEW SIGN, SOMETHING DIFFERENT!! This is part of "driving with due care and attention". You must have a terrible time driving in an area or city you haven't been before.......
My eyes are fine, I can see colour just fine too. What you're not realizing is that the sign is immediately after a busy intersection just over the crest of a hill. In this case my attention was focused on some putz failing to yield.

If you drop a speed limit and enforce the new limit, then you really should be posting a "NEW" sign ahead of it to alert drivers of the change.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
...on a mission....

Quote:
Well, that revenue will be created by dumb drivers not following the rules or speed limits...again....the drivers control the situation.

When I hauled long distance, I could not rely on anything else but MYSELF to make sure I didn't break any of the "rules" while driving. I was ALWAYS in new cities, towns and areas where I had to pay attention to EACH and EVERY sign to know what I could and could not do. You see, this is driving with...yes...I will say it again....."due care and attention".....and the way we all should drive...all the time! The minute you get "complacent" about your driving (and this can be caused by driving the same road....over and over and over again), your attention suffers. Part of the art of driving is paying attention....ALWAYS..... EVEN if you are driving 200 feet from home!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #16
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
No, it doesn't really. There are countless reports of yellow light timing being too short in order to boost the number of tickets issued for a particular intersection.
So you're using a single article to say that lots of yellow lights are too short? This particular city was breaking the law, by design or not nobody will ever know for sure.

It was very interesting, I remember listening to a guy who was petitioning to have yellow lights extended either provincewide or throughout the Lower Mainland. He was saying that red light cameras and red light fines (as given by police officers) were unfair and that yellow lights should be made longer. It was on CBC, and someone asked him what the result would be if they were to be extended. His answer?

"Well then I could be through and gone before it turns red!"

A very interesting answer, given that I would expect the answer of "Then I'd see it further ahead and be able to stop!"

It seems as though that guy, who speaks for people who want extended yellow lights, is not interested in using yellows as a warning for reds, but as an extended green. Not following either the letter or the spirit of the law. Why should the laws be changed for people who seem not to want to pay attention to it regardless?

Quote:
If photo radar worked, it would be a money losing program.

Arizona budget shortfall, traffic cameras to raise revenue
We need to make sure the roads are used in an equal way. In an ideal world, everyone on the road would be incredibly highly trained and more than able to control cars in any road conditions (Finland, much?). Sadly, this isn't the case and cars are a necessity in North America.

Say what you want about urban centres and transit, but unless you live near a hub and/or near a major line, transit is as useless as tits on a bull. And there's no way to get your kids to sports or parents/sick family members to a doctor, especially with the cost of taxis.

So here's the problem: laws don't make people more moral. In theory, people should treat each other fairly and well, both off and on the road. That those who are slow should move to the side and those that are fast move around them without freaking them out. Unfortunately, 'cause some people are assholes, we need to put in place enforcement measures. Personally, I'd prefer things like speed cameras (especially given that they generally put up signage before them) to things like GPS chips embedded in our cars which limit our speed to the legal maximum.

You say the laws are inadequate, and I say that you are not incorrect, but that changing it to any one individual's preferences will do nothing more than fuck up the system even worse.
Quote:
Fine, make it a three day impoundment. But I think you'd find most drivers would prefer a $150 ticket and be sent on their way, vs. having an immediate 24hr roadside suspension.
Exactly the point, and exactly why many businesses downtown are complaining that people aren't drinking as much. Punishments which actually matter are those that people pay attention to. Money is money, and many people just think "I'll just have to work X hours more to pay this off" rather than "Jesus Christ, I'd better not do this again!" Aren't the two reasons we have punishments for deterrence and rehabilitation? Money seems not to be effective, so...
Quote:
My eyes are fine, I can see colour just fine too. What you're not realizing is that the sign is immediately after a busy intersection just over the crest of a hill. In this case my attention was focused on some putz failing to yield.

If you drop a speed limit and enforce the new limit, then you really should be posting a "NEW" sign ahead of it to alert drivers of the change.
So what would have made you notice the "Traffic pattern changes ahead" sign if you didn't notice the school zone sign?

Just a sidenote, how does one have a new school zone declared without a new school being built? How did you not notice that much construction?
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #17
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
So what would have made you notice the "Traffic pattern changes ahead" sign if you didn't notice the school zone sign?
Well for one, if you actually read my previous posts on the matter, my attention wouldn't have been drawn to the car failing to yield at the intersection. It's a brand new sign, the dirt and concrete displaced in the process of drilling the hole into the sidewalk still sits at the base of it. And you're calling me unobservant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Just a sidenote, how does one have a new school zone declared without a new school being built? How did you not notice that much construction?
I would imagine that the school went through a grade reconfiguration and took on students in younger grades, hence the new "school zone" around a school that never had one before.

From a safety perspective, don't you think it would be a good idea to alert drivers to the fact that younger children will be present in the area before the first day of school?

Old 09-13-2011, 04:18 AM   #18
...on a mission....

Quote:
Well for one, if you actually read my previous posts on the matter, my attention wouldn't have been drawn to the car failing to yield at the intersection. It's a brand new sign, the dirt and concrete displaced in the process of drilling the hole into the sidewalk still sits at the base of it. And you're calling me unobservant.
If you noticed that much about the sign, why are you saying you didn't notice it or that you need to be forewarned that it is even there? If you can't pay attention to all the "changes" happening around you as you drive....perhaps you should join me on the transit system!

Quote:
From a safety perspective, don't you think it would be a good idea to alert drivers to the fact that younger children will be present in the area before the first day of school?
So, you put a sign ahead of the school zone sign, warning drivers about the new school zone.....then you will need a sign warning you about the warning sign....and a sign warning you......which one will you notice first?

The week before school starts, the newspapers, tv and radio are constantly announcing that school is starting and to make sure you obey the school zone speed limits! As a driver, it is YOUR responsibility to KNOW what is what, when is when and combining those two....what and when. We can't all drive with an adviser with us in the car.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #19
I subscribe to Revscene

Not too far away from me an entire new intersection was built. Where there were no traffic lights before, there are now traffic lights. People have been sitting in construction for two months as the new intersection was being built, paved, painted, etc...

Most people probably probably saw quite well that new traffic lights went in. They had 20 minutes twice a day to sit in traffic watching them go in after all. But guess what, ahead of it all there's a tiny little sign advising people that there are new traffic lights ahead.

As for why I didn't see the school zone sign - 1) There's never been one there before. 2) I was more concerned with a car blowing the FU%#*^! yield sign than looking for signs that were never before there.

Any other day I would have seen the sign in advance.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #20
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
perhaps you should join me on the transit system!
I refuse to ride the bus, but you can thank me for always yielding to you.

Do me a favor - when there are two busses waiting at a stop and passing traffic can't see the right hand turn signal of the front bus, don't sit there with your 4-ways on. I can't tell if you're sitting or signalling to pull into traffic. Drives me nuts.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #21
...on a mission....

Quote:

Do me a favor - when there are two busses waiting at a stop and passing traffic can't see the right hand turn signal of the front bus, don't sit there with your 4-ways on. I can't tell if you're sitting or signalling to pull into traffic. Drives me nuts.
Okay...I gotta say it...

Drives you nuts? How can you drive somewhere if you're there already?

PS: Don't take offense....was said as a joke....I have a tough time leaving good opportunities like that alone!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #22
...on a mission....

Quote:
Thank you....and I really DO mean it. Re-entering traffic from a stop happens every time we DO a stop...so...when a motorist yields, it is appreciated!!

Quote:
Actually, a very good point!! And it even makes sense!!! This is what you should do. Open up this page:

Contact Us

Talk to someone regarding this. It holds much more "water" if a motorist puts forward a point like this than a regular "bus" driver. It is a VERY valid point...and can be solved by a policy of ONLY the most rearward bus requires 4 ways. If there are three buses, only the third one needs 4 ways (if required).

I am actually in shock......a point coming from you that I actually agree on! (again...said jokingly)!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #23
xxx

^
the bus thing I agree with.
Definitely have slowed down many times unnecessarily because I thought a bus was pulling out, only to find out they had their hazard lights on.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #24
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.T View Post
^
the bus thing I agree with.
Definitely have slowed down many times unnecessarily because I thought a bus was pulling out, only to find out they had their hazard lights on.
Please do the same as I suggested to sebberry. And I actually will fire the idea up a couple of channels where I think it may go someplace.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #25
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Please do the same as I suggested to sebberry. And I actually will fire the idea up a couple of channels where I think it may go someplace.
Interesting, with all the and I seem to get from you... now you want my support.