REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Super duper bug bites (https://www.revscene.net/forums/653294-super-duper-bug-bites.html)

Death2Theft 09-10-2011 08:05 PM

Super duper bug bites

Is it just me or has anyone else had crazy swelling from mosquito bites in the past two years? (4-6+ inches in diameter swelling)
I remember before that if a mosquito bites you no big deal maybe a toonie size swell at most.
Having asked a few people this seems true to them as well. Any idea on whats causing this?

racerman88 09-10-2011 09:41 PM

didn't notice anything different myself. Are you sure you weren't bitten by a black fly? When they bite it hurts and it swells more.

matrixfwd 09-10-2011 10:02 PM

yah those are painful i get those too. If i know i'll be heading to mosquito territory, i douse myself with Off. Seems like the spray works better than the cream. during the season i heard eating garlic keeps them away.

q0192837465 09-10-2011 10:04 PM

I know for sure eating banana will attract mosquitos like honey to ants

Vansterdam 09-10-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by q0192837465 (Post 7574282)
I know for sure eating banana will attract mosquitos like honey to ants

o rly?

i heard vitamin D pills are also a very good repellent for mosquitos

Cereal Killer 09-10-2011 11:17 PM

I had some nasty bites this year after attending a BBQ. The worst one was on my leg; freakishly red and swollen around the bite. Doctor thought I may have contracted lyme disease...

What do people think about the After Bite cream? I didn't notice any improvements after using it.

Fafine 09-10-2011 11:23 PM

^ i used it in edmonton, it stopped the itching

DsZ24 09-11-2011 12:16 AM

Been lucky so far this year, haven't gotten any major mosquito bites yet

urrh 09-11-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cereal Killer (Post 7574355)
What do people think about the After Bite cream? I didn't notice any improvements after using it.

I think it depends on how soon after you get bitten that you apply it. The sooner the better

124Y 09-11-2011 01:33 AM

Mission raceway was filled with mosquitoes. I had at least 20 mosquito bites after a track day.

classified 09-11-2011 02:11 AM

brb living on 31 floor downtown and not having to worry about mosquitos

Mr.HappySilp 09-11-2011 12:36 PM

bugs seems to stay away from me. Must be all those onions I ate.......

MG1 09-11-2011 12:49 PM

I had one on my forehead this summer and it swelled up like I was hit over the head with a golf club. When I donated blood last week, the nurse doing the screening was thinking I had done drugs, after checking my arms. I assured her they were bites from my trip through the prairies. I've use that afterbite stuff and it reduces itching, nothing else. Mosquito's carry all kinds of diseases, man. Go ASAP to a walk in clinic if you start feeling weird.

q0192837465 09-11-2011 04:40 PM

The worst one I had was on the bottom of my big toe. Man, I was twisting & turning at work all week.

BTW, mosquito is also attracted to deodorant and perfume/cologne, make sure u don't wear any if u'r heading into mosquito territories.

Special K 07-13-2013 05:14 PM

Fuck. I went ziplining in Whistler yesterday and got bit by a mosquito near my ankle.

24 hours later now my ankle, leg, and foot are swollen. Can't even fit a shoe.

I had 2 Bendaryl already. And applied Afterbite three times. It sometimes feels numb too. Go to emergency room now or wait until Monday for a walk in clinic??
Posted via RS Mobile

El Bastardo 07-13-2013 05:20 PM

I'm sure your giant foot will be fine until Monday.

dn53 07-13-2013 05:44 PM

was sleeping and i woke up itchy as fuck in the middle of the night. i look at my arms and i have 5 mosquito bites all over my arms and im half asleep and aggravated as fuck. i try to sleep it off and then the fucking guy starts buzzing by my ear. at that point i jump out of bed trying to hunt the fucker but to no avail.

for me, allergy medicine and some insect repellent work the best. kind of stinks though, but its called deet-ex

Fafine 07-13-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special K (Post 8280651)
Fuck. I went ziplining in Whistler yesterday and got bit by a mosquito near my ankle.

24 hours later now my ankle, leg, and foot are swollen. Can't even fit a shoe.

I had 2 Bendaryl already. And applied Afterbite three times. It sometimes feels numb too. Go to emergency room now or wait until Monday for a walk in clinic??
Posted via RS Mobile

When did you take the benadryl?
That happened to me last year except on my hand. Lol it was swollen to the point where I had no knuckles. After 3 benadryl the swelling went down but took a few days.
Posted via RS Mobile

dohboi 07-13-2013 07:06 PM

This has been really common in the past few years. It turns into a skin infection and starts swelling, if you don't see the swelling decrease, especially after taking allergy meds or anti-inflamitories, go to your local emerge. They'll have to do a few IV drippings on you, and stay away from booze. It happened to me quite a few summers ago.

Special K 07-13-2013 07:32 PM

These Whistler mosquitos are fucking real. I have gotten bit by mosquitoes in Asia but it never swells like this.

Benadroyl at 9am and 5pm. It's on ice right now.
Posted via RS Mobile

Preemo 07-13-2013 08:07 PM

Yeah, this year it seems my bite welts have been much bigger than previous. After bite works to relieve itch. Not get rid of the swell.

I can also confirm that eating bananas will get you massacred.

However, keep in mind that mosquitos don't like citrus type shit. Sounds weird but I rubbed my arms and legs down in lemon juice as an alternative to that greasy bug off shit. So far, not nearly as many bites.

gars 07-13-2013 09:45 PM

I haven't received any mosquito bites so far this season, but I'm not looking forward to the day I receive my first one.

has anyone ever tried this before?

Use a Hot Spoon to Instantly Relieve Itchy Bug Bites

Quote:

Tis the season for annoying bug bites, but a surprisingly simple remedy exists that can eliminate all of the itch within minutes.

All you have to do is heat up a metal spoon under hot tap water for a minute or so, then press it directly against the bite. Hold it tight against your skin for a couple of minutes, and when you take it off, the itch should be gone for good.

When mosquitoes bite you, they inject proteins under your skin to keep your blood from clotting. It's this protein that causes you to itch, but it can't survive at the moderately high temperatures a hot spoon can create. The bump might linger for a few days, but the uncomfortable itching should be gone for good!
I think this works with the same principle...

Therapik Insect Bite Treatment - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

SoNaRWaVe 07-13-2013 10:20 PM

i got bit a week or a bit longer. the site is itchy as fuck and you can literally fit 2 twoonies side by side. i use ice pack on it and it just numbs it away. it no longer itches but its still red.

rsx 07-13-2013 10:40 PM

I find the hydrocortisone (anti bacterial) is pretty good at keeping swelling, itching and redness down.

FerrariEnzo 07-13-2013 10:57 PM

Afterbite cream works really well... When I first got some bites(from golfing) it was super itchy and couldnt stop myself from scratching.. few days later decided to buy the damn cream. I was going camping anyways and needed to buy it sooner or later.. so why not get it now and use it.. :badpokerface: