REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #3251
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
School Shooter's DNA to Be Studied - Yahoo!

Geneticists have been asked to study the DNA of Adam Lanza, the Connecticut man whose shooting rampage killed 27 people, including an entire first grade class.

The study, which experts believe may be the first of its kind, is expected to be looking for abnormalities or mutations in Lanza's DNA.
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #3252
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Anyone ever financed anything through the Brick? any hassles or red flags?

looking at a mattress set that is 50% off but its still $1200, 0% financing over 15 months sounds good to me, but they had hidden fee's etc or what
Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #3253
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

looking at a mattress set that is 50% off but its still $1200, 0% financing over 15 months sounds good to me, but they had hidden fee's etc or what
I did that with a set of couches before and had no issues at all. The trick is to pay it off before the 15 months is up. If you forget and even have $1 left on what you owe they will add all of the interest for the previous 15 months and you will have to pay it all. That's how they get you but pay it off in a couple months and you don't have to worry about a thing.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #3254

did you have to sign up for their brick card though or are you just on a payment plan where they expect you to maintain the payments on your own?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #3255
In RS I Trust

Had to sing up to a Brick card and I dd the payment thing before as well. Both are exactly the same except the Brick card can get you in trouble if you decide to buy something else with it down the road.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #3256
In RS I Trust

As well you can still bargain for for the mattress. It's on sale yes but you can still get it for cheaper and work on free delivery as well. Just play hard ball with them and they will cave, I have even said its end of the month and I know you need the sales. Help me help you and you will get a better deal then listed.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #3257
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Colour me blonde, but why can't I find a thread on car buying tips on a website called the #1 sports compact and classified site?
B!tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #3258
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!tch View Post
Colour me blonde, but why can't I find a thread on car buying tips on a website called the #1 sports compact and classified site?
Plenty of threads in VAC. Also, if you're looking at a specific car, try searching under that.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #3259

yea turns out the mattress i was going to buy has horrible reviews, i was looking at the Donald Trump memory foam set, but litterally every single review said theirs has sagged :/

i slept on it for 3 nights at the Westin in whistler before and thought i was in love but weary to buy with so many bad reviews :/

probably check out sears before i go to the Brick, thanks for info murdoc
Old 12-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #3260
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Donald Trump anything? Bad idea!
Posted via RS Mobile
Kilinim is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #3261
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

anyone affiliated with a volvo dealersip?
B!tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #3262
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!tch View Post
anyone affiliated with a volvo dealersip?
very distantly

Rented lots of the newer S60's/S80's/C30/C70

Actually a lot of them just got returned to the dealership(s) -- if any volvo you're looking at is a lease return/demo car double check it wasn't a rental .. they uhh .. kinda get beat up lol
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #3263
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,511 Times in 4,903 Posts
Quote:

Most of these places bank on people not being able to pay their debt in time. For those who do pay on time, they still get you on fees. First time I did that, they tried to pull the "registration or administration fee" bullshit. I refused to sign the papers after they tried to slip that by me. I told them to either waive the fee, reduce it by the exact amount, or I take my business elsewhere.

Plenty of other places to get a bed.

Try Ikea for beds. They have decent ones. They have pretty good sales once in a while.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:28 AM   #3264
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Yeah, god bless america..........just remember to take good ol' Canadian ketchup with you. No shit, I take a bag of ketchup with me when I go south of the border, because I cannot stand their "premium" ketchup that's made with high fructose corn syrup. I'm no ketchup connoisseur, but that stuff is nasty. You can give me your pink slime, America, but don't give me no high fructose corn crap. Amen.

McDonald's here uses heinz ketchup while the other one in the states makes their own.. Tastes kinda fubky

Heinz ketchup FTMW
Pink slime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Posted via RS Mobile
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #3265
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
yea turns out the mattress i was going to buy has horrible reviews, i was looking at the Donald Trump memory foam set, but litterally every single review said theirs has sagged :/

i slept on it for 3 nights at the Westin in whistler before and thought i was in love but weary to buy with so many bad reviews :/

probably check out sears before i go to the Brick, thanks for info murdoc
Love consumer reviews. Had to buy a dishwasher yesterday, went to Home Depot, Brick, Future Shop found a couple we liked in the same price range. Couldn't really compare the two properly as they were at 2 different stores. Went home and read up on them to find out that the Samsung at the Brick was a POS. I got FS to beat HD's price (although they're having their appliance blowout) on the GE Profile just so I could go pick it up today rather than wait a week and pay for delivery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #3266
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
and why is that facepalm worthy?
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #3267
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
and why is that facepalm worthy?
Unless you're analyzing a whole lot more than just one person's DNA, how do you find anything wrong? Have people not already said that he had weird disorders (autism/asperger's), and that his mom was kind of a kook too? Are we planning on screening children in the womb for the specific gene pattern that fucked him up? And if so, when does that become Eugenics?

Sometimes, science is useful. Other times, it's just as populist as anything else.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #3268
The Lone Wanderator

An article discussing the above:
Quote:
In a rare and now controversial investigation, scientists have been asked by Connecticut's medical examiner to study Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza's DNA — but the DNA community doesn't think that's such a good idea. Though details on the research are scant, University of Connecticut geneticists will apparently be looking for biological clues that might explain Lanza's extreme violent behavior.
The New York Times's Gina Kolata reports that this undertaking is thought to be the first time scientists have studied the genome of a mass killer. Baylor College of Medicine's genetics professor Arthur Beaudet endorses the research, saying, "By studying genetic abnormalities we can learn more about conditions better and who is at risk."
But the ethical implications of singling out genetic mutations to explain violent behavior trouble many other scientists, who worry that such research might be held against innocent people who happen to share some of Lanza's genetic features.
Harvard Medical School's Dr. Harold Bursztajn told ABC News that he's not sure what the U. Conn geneticists will "even be looking for at this point," considering how thorny and full of false positives the link between genetic markers and violence is.
So far, the strongest evidence that genetics play a role in violent behavior comes out of research on MAOA, a gene that produces a substance called monoamine oxidase. Studies from the early '90s showed that abused children with certain variations of this gene had problems regulating their aggressive impulses. But University of Pennsylvania criminologist Adrian Raine questions how crucial MAOA is in determining who actually becomes violent. University of California San Francisco geneticist Robert Nussbaum also worries about the potential for genetic discrimination:
It’s a shot in the dark that’s unlikely to show anything. If they find something associated with autism, I’m afraid that it might have the effect of stigmatizing autistic people. I can see a whole morass coming out of this.
Here are some of the many other geneticists who don't think meaningful conclusions can be drawn from such studies, fearing what the general public would make out of such information:

Many journalists who cover genetic research for a living also remain skeptical:

Old 12-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #3269
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Unless you're analyzing a whole lot more than just one person's DNA, how do you find anything wrong? Have people not already said that he had weird disorders (autism/asperger's), and that his mom was kind of a kook too? Are we planning on screening children in the womb for the specific gene pattern that fucked him up? And if so, when does that become Eugenics?

Sometimes, science is useful. Other times, it's just as populist as anything else.
what does this have to do with eugenics. They are looking for abnormalities to explain why someone might do something.

hell I just read this in Nat Geo.

Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #3270
The Lone Wanderator

Because as soon as you "explain" how a person becomes or can become a sociopathic or psychopathic killer, people will want "that psycho test" for their kids in the womb.

Ever seen Gattaca? With the way the world is going, it may not be that far off.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #3271
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Infographic; the effects of alcohol int he body;

The Effects Of Alcohol In The Body (INFOGRAPHIC)
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #3272
I am Hook'd on RS

Does anybody that work in a auto shop know what this program database is called?

Also where would I find a 1998 Mazda MPV alternator cheap?

Thanks!
milkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #3273

Ended up with this mattress from sears:

SEARS-O-PEDIC ®/MD 3872SY 'Kingsbridge' Tight Top Mattress - Queen/King - Sears | Sears Canada

Paid $1086 taxes in for just the mattress, supposedly saved "$1700"

Wonder if I actually saved that or they are always just on sale
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #3274
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkStar View Post

Does anybody that work in a auto shop know what this program database is called?

Also where would I find a 1998 Mazda MPV alternator cheap?

Thanks!
Maybe Alldata?
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #3275
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,511 Times in 4,903 Posts
Sad news........... Wayne Cox is retiring (sort of).

No more coveted pens or tacky Hawaiian shirts. Just watched a short bio of his career on Global.

Global BC | A tribute to Wayne Cox
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: