REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #4326
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Epic commitment:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3536001.html
Advertisement
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #4327
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
ROFLMAO

Yes, this is a legitimate new release & serves as a reminder to secure windows/doors. Police Reminding Everyone to Lock Doors and Windows after Bizarre Break-In | Vancouver Police Department #NakedChefArrest

Quote:
POLICE REMINDING EVERYONE TO LOCK DOORS AND WINDOWS AFTER BIZARRE BREAK-IN

July 3, 2013
One man is in custody after a bizarre break-in to a home in east Vancouver prompting police to remind residents to lock their doors and windows.

At about 7:00 last night, the resident of a home in east Vancouver found a naked stranger in his kitchen, cooking eggs. When confronted, the stranger fled from the home.

Police were called, and a 30 year-old Burnaby man was arrested a short distance away.

It is believed the suspect was in the home for 20 to 25 minutes, and had even taken a shower before being discovered in the kitchen.

Charges of being unlawfully in a dwelling house have been requested.

There have been 1157 residential break-and-enters in Vancouver so far this year, and the Vancouver Police Department is hoping that homeowners stay vigilant, particularly since 400 of these break-ins show no signs of forced entry.

Warmer weather is here and more people will be spending time outdoors, and leaving windows and doors open to stay cool.

“Ensuring your doors and windows are locked is a simple deterrent,” says Constable Brian Montague. “Don’t make it easy for someone to break-in to your house.”
Police Reminding Everyone to Lock Doors and Windows after Bizarre Break-In | Vancouver Police Department
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #4328
Banned By Establishment

I'd be okay if he made me some eggs too. Breakfast in bed is awesome.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #4329
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
5,000 year old ruins torn down by property developers in Peru

Pyramid in Peru torn down by developers | World news | guardian.co.uk

Quote:
Pyramid in Peru torn down by developers
Officials lodge criminal complaints against two firms after building at El Paraiso, one of Peru's oldest archaeological sites, destroyed

(before after)

Real estate developers using heavy machinery tore down a 20ft (6m) tall pyramid at one of Peru's oldest archaeological sites, cultural officials have said.

Rafael Varon, deputy minister of cultural patrimony, told reporters on Wednesday that the destruction occurred over the weekend at the ruins of El Paraiso, a few miles north of Peru's capital, Lima.

He said his agency has lodged criminal complaints against two companies for the damage – identified as Alisol and Provelanz – and has moved to seize the equipment used. People who answered the telephone at both companies said no one was available to comment.

Peru's tourism ministry says El Paraiso was built some 4,000 years ago and was a religious and administrative centre, long before the rise of the Inca culture encountered by the Spanish conquerors.

Marco Guilen, director of an excavation project at El Paraiso, said the people who tore down the pyramid "have committed irreparable damage to a page of Peruvian history".

"We are not going to be able to know in what ways it was constructed, what materials were used in it and how the society in that part of the pyramid behaved," said Guilen.

Varon said people apparently working for the two companies tore down one pyramid and tried to destroy three others, but were stopped by witnesses.

Mayor Freddy Ternero of San Martin de Porres, the town where the ruins are located, said the pyramids were sited in agricultural fields and were not guarded, though he said the minister of the interior sent police to protect it after the incident.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #4330
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Was in Abbotsford Tuesday getting cheap gas. On no tax day at Superstore, I bought enough shit to get the 35˘/litre off gas coupon (offer of the week). Limited to 100 litres max. I paid with my PC Mastercard and got a further 7 cents off per liter discount. That's 42˘ off per litre on already cheaper Abbotsford gas prices. Gas was $1.27 per litre on Tuesday. I love Superstore.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #4331
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
5,000 year old ruins torn down by property developers in Peru
Unfortunately, this happens ALL THE TIME.

Mexico is the worst for it.

Just a few months ago part of a Nazca line was taken out.

There is little the international community can do unless these sites are protected under UNESCO.

OH, and something to think about....the public finds all this always so shocking and adopt this whole, "OMG, HOW COULD THEY" attitude towards this stuff, but what would you say if a site out in Pitt Meadows that represented some of the earliest adoption of agriculture in the PNW and dated older than this Peru site is now sitting under the new Abernathy Way.

Or, how about a 10,000 year old site that is now a vineyard just outside of Kamloops?

May not be a pretty little pyramid, but it is no less important. I could blow your mind with the shit that has been destroyed in the province for the sake of "progress".

Don't see those stories on the news, do you?
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #4332
2 Wheel'd Mod

Ultrafast internet service launched by Vancouver startup - Technology & Science - CBC News

Spoiler!
/)__)
-"--"-

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...hreadid=417820
!oHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #4333
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
So in in Washington right now and walk into the IGA to pick up a bottle of rum and walk about and they sell mother fucken Apple Pie moonshine... So picked up two bottles fuck ya
Posted via RS Mobile
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #4334
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #4335

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Unfortunately, this happens ALL THE TIME.

Mexico is the worst for it.

Just a few months ago part of a Nazca line was taken out.

There is little the international community can do unless these sites are protected under UNESCO.

OH, and something to think about....the public finds all this always so shocking and adopt this whole, "OMG, HOW COULD THEY" attitude towards this stuff, but what would you say if a site out in Pitt Meadows that represented some of the earliest adoption of agriculture in the PNW and dated older than this Peru site is now sitting under the new Abernathy Way.

Or, how about a 10,000 year old site that is now a vineyard just outside of Kamloops?

May not be a pretty little pyramid, but it is no less important. I could blow your mind with the shit that has been destroyed in the province for the sake of "progress".

Don't see those stories on the news, do you?

I've no problem with sites being developed over as long as they're not deemed extremely significant and a proper application process is done
especially if the sites had already been researched/documented in some form or another i realize researchers will deem all sites highly significant and find reasons to always research said sites but i don't think its fair or necessary to go that far if it gets in the way with growth/development

the issue i have with the story i posted is that it was a significant site and the developers had torn it down without permission
Old 07-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #4336
Banned By Establishment

how would you define significance?
Old 07-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #4337

my view of whats significant and say what the government would deem significant is very different and when i speak of being "deemed extremely significant" i leave that up to the government to decide and hopefully they'll have consulted universities/museums/et al. in deciding the value of a site and weigh it against what the proposed development would provide
Old 07-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #4338
Banned By Establishment

Funny enough, it is not up to the universities, museums, and even the gov't to determine what is significant enough to protect. TBH, there is NO sure-fire significance ratings in BC that can and will protect any archaeological site. The BC Archaeology Branch has a set of guidelines in regards to site significance, but it is up to the archaeologist hired to determine. And even then, it doesn't mean much.

Recommendations can be made (which was actually one of my jobs as an archaeologist) as to how a site is mitigated, but the only time a site is left alone is because of money.

Example: Walmart in Pitt Meadows was scheduled to be built on a piece of untouched land which meant an Impact Assessment needed to be conducted. They found it to be a human burial site. There is no law that says they can not built over it....however, the mitigation plan was very expensive and walmart declined.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #4339
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #4340
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Horticultural Hate: The Mystery of the Forest Swastikas

Quote:
Over 20 years ago, a landscaper in eastern Germany discovered a formation of trees in a forest in the shape of a swastika. Since then, a number of other forest swastikas have been found in Germany and beyond, but the mystery of their origins persist.

Blame it on the larches. Brandenburg native Günter Reschke was the first one to notice their unique formation, according to a 2002 article in the Süddeutsche Zeitung newspaper. To be more precise, however, it was the new intern at Reschke's landscaping company, Ökoland Dederow, who discovered the trees in 1992 as he was completing a typically thankless intern task: searching aerial photographs for irrigation lines.

Instead, he found a small group of 140 larches standing in the middle of dense forest, surrounded by hundreds of other trees. But there was a crucial difference: all the others were pine trees. The larches, unlike the pines, changed color in the fall, first to yellow, then brown. And when they were seen from a certain height, it wasn't difficult to recognize the pattern they formed. It was quite striking, in fact.

As he was dutifully accomplishing the task he had been given, the intern suddenly stopped and stared, dumbfounded, at the picture in his hand. It was an aerial view of Kutzerower Heath at Zernikow -- photo number 106/88. He showed it to Reschke: "Do you see what this is?" But the 60-by-60 meter (200-by-200 foot) design that stood out sharply from the forest was obvious to all: a swastika.

Reschke is actually a fan of his native Uckermark region of northeastern Germany, extolling its gently rolling hills, lakes and woods, as the "Tuscany of the north." But what the two men discovered in 1992 in that aerial photograph thrust this natural idyll into the center of a scandal.

A Swastika as a Birthday Gift?

Reschke chartered a plane to fly over the area, and indeed, a neatly delineated swastika was clearly visible. The local forester, Klaus Göricke, set out to uncover the origin of the troubling larch formation, and he found out that the trees had been there for a long time. By measuring the trees, he came to the conclusion they had been planted in the late 1930s. That means that for decades, during every spring and autumn, a massive swastika took shape in the Kutzerower Heath -- surviving the Russian occupation, Communist rule in East Germany and the fall of the Berlin Wall without ever attracting notice.

The fact that it went undiscovered for so long was in part due to the short period of time each year that it was visible. Furthermore, it could only be seen from a certain altitude, and the airplanes that headed north out of Berlin were already much too high for passengers to see the swastika in the forest. Private planes, on the other hand, were forbidden in East Germany.

It didn't take long for rumors to spread about how the swastika got there in the first place. A local farmer claimed that he had planted the trees as a child, with a forester paying him a few cents for each seedling he put in the ground. Others reported that it was put there as a sign of loyalty after a nearby villager had been taken to the Sachsenhausen concentration camp by the Nazis because he had secretly been listening to the BBC. Still another version holds that a local Nazi leader ordered the trees planted on the occasion of Hitler's birthday. Finally, the Berliner Zeitung newspaper reported that it was planted in gratitude to the Reich Labor Service for building a street in Zernikow.

More here:

Horticultural Hate: The Mystery of the Forest Swastikas - ABC News
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #4341
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
The PETA Files | PETA.org

Just go and read and then think to yourself, "what sick f*** makes that connection for the purpose of PETA?"

Seriously? Not at all respectful of the families, or the victims. I really dislike them as an organization.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #4342
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
^WTF? Stupid scare tactic to make omnivores vegan. Shame on PETA. SHAME.
Posted via RS Mobile
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #4343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
The PETA Files | PETA.org

Just go and read and then think to yourself, "what sick f*** makes that connection for the purpose of PETA?"

Seriously? Not at all respectful of the families, or the victims. I really dislike them as an organization.
had a couple short "convos" with peta reps regarding native seal hunting and omg they couldn't come up with a legitimate reason or solution other than they didn't want cute seals to die and they didn't care about native culture/industry
Old 07-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #4344
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

tgill is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #4345
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Cool Honda commercial:

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #4346
MG1

On my way home from Abbotsford, I took Hwy 1 instead of the cheaper (no toll) Lougheed route. When I get to the 208th overpass, I see these two kids on their bikes sitting mid span. They looked like they were up to something, so I was totally prepared to duck out of the way of something. They were just above the right lane and I was in the left. There was a large spot of water on the road, so I figured the bastards were throwing water bombs at cars. As I get just under the overpass, I see dude in a jeep behind me swerve like he was gonna get shot by a missle or something. He loses control of the jeep and shoots across three lanes of traffic and ends up in the median/ditch. Looked like something right out of a movie. He didn't flip the jeep but it was one helluva rough ride for him.

Not 100% sure if the kids did anything, because they were sitting on their bikes, but I did see something odd on one of the bikes - something shiny. I had my dashcam on, but not sure if anything will show up as the sun was right in front of me. Damn windshield of mine has so many pits in it, it looks like a disco ball with all the sparkles that show up from the sunlight.

I saw a couple of other cars, through my rearview mirror, immediately pull over, so I left it at that. Hopefully the dash cam shows something.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #4347
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Did you call the cops to investigate?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #4348
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
Did you call the cops to investigate?
Nope. The dude in jeep was OK. Didn't flip the car. The kids would have been long gone by the time any cops get to the overpass. I was going to get off at 200th and head over there, but at 17:43, traffic is shitty.

I just looked at the footage. I thought it was three lanes, but it was two. It was a cream colour Jeep Sahara that got involved. The two boys were moving over to the right lane as I got to the overpass and sure enough, there was a puddle of water in my lane. It looked like a plastic water bottle they were about to throw over.

Fricken dumb ass kids.

I will call it in. It might help prevent this kind of thing from happening again. They should cover the overpass with a fence or something.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #4349
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Yeah, I hate driving under pedestrian overpasses when there's people above my lane.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #4350
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
lets see the dash cam video....
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote