REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #6651
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
GO2 SOCKET | OFFICIAL WEB SITE

tempted to pick one up
Advertisement
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #6652
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
hopefully people won't be using those to steal rims/tires with locknuts on them
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #6653
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
that's why I have aftermarket alarm with level, motion, and glass sensors.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #6654
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Well I doubt the socket can fit into bolt / nut wheel of expensive rims. I think you can probably use them on cheap steel wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
hopefully people won't be using those to steal rims/tires with locknuts on them
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #6655
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I don't know whether I see that design of socket working too well.

In a lot of situations it seems like it would be difficult to get the slotted screw tight. It's also massive and wouldn't fit in a lot places.

With the number of designs of rounded bolt removers, I'll stick with the proven designs/techniques of vice grips, smaller sockets, hammer/chisel, twist sockets, nut splitters, and ensuring the socket is loose (because it being seized is likely the reason it stripped).
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #6656
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Slot design is awful. Robertson, Torx, or Hex would've been a way better way to go.

Also interesting that he uses a channel-lock to tighten it in the demo video, which indicates to me that:

1) The slot design is a known issue already.
2) They should've used a hex head, which would've allowed you to tighten your socket with a socket (insert Xzibit meme here) or a crescent wrench.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #6657
MG1

First it was the opening of the Powell Street Overpass, now the Still Creek whatever is now open. Now I don't have to fight that crappy traffic at Lougheed and Willingdon to get home from Costco. Only one light from Costco to Douglas.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #6658
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Slot design is awful. Robertson, Torx, or Hex would've been a way better way to go.

Also interesting that he uses a channel-lock to tighten it in the demo video, which indicates to me that:

1) The slot design is a known issue already.
2) They should've used a hex head, which would've allowed you to tighten your socket with a socket (insert Xzibit meme here) or a crescent wrench.
Hex is not that great. Neither is Robertson. Torx, yes.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #6659
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
Jeremy, Richard and James from Top Gear did some voice work (as themselves) for the Disney TV Sshow Phineas and Ferb. P& F is a good show on it's own but with the TG boys thrown in it's a pretty funny episode.

1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #6660
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Hex is not that great. Neither is Robertson. Torx, yes.
Both are a million times better than slot. You can't torque slot at all and the driver slips out easily.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #6661
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Putting on underwear fresh from the dryer in the winter?

Putting on underwear fresh from the dryer in the summer?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #6662
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Both are a million times better than slot. You can't torque slot at all and the driver slips out easily.
Absolutely........ having said that, though, most wood screws used to be all slotted. We're talking 30+ years back. One had no choice but to be good with a slotted screwdriver. A good screwdriver, properly made and tipped was a must. Then came the Robertson, a Canadian invention. Along with philips, frearson, torx, and others, it made slotted head screws a thing of the past. In any case, the right size screwdriver is ever so important.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #6663
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Putting on underwear fresh from the dryer in the winter?

Putting on underwear fresh from the dryer in the summer?
that's why you wear comfy basketball style shorts with no underwear in the summer and its beyond comfy!!
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #6664
MG1

^balls freedom
Old 08-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #6665
MG1

In case some of you did not know, this Thursday is Miracle Treat Day at Dairy Queen.

Dairy Queen Miracle Treat Day

Why not buy a blizzard for yourself, gf, bf, bff, mother, father, daughter, etc? It's for a good cause.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #6666
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:

“The three buses offering this service are: 8125, 9258, 9266,” TransLink said in a statement.

The transit provider said the buses will be tasked to the 99 B-Line on Broadway, 351 White Rock-Richmond route and the 555 express at Braid-Carvolth route.

All the buses are also covered with large Telus-brand advertising for easy identification.

“The current contract is for six months with the option to end the agreement at any time or to extend it another six months for a total of one year,” said TransLink, adding there are “no plans” to expand the service right now.

Telus spokeswoman Liz Sauve said there’s a social media “scavenger” challenge with two Samsung tablets up for grabs as part of the launch.

The contest runs until Sunday.

“All people have to do, if they’re on Twitter, is snap the photo of the bus on the road and tweet it using the hashtag #TelusWiFiBus,” she said.

To connect to the WiFi, riders simply select “TelusWiFi,” and follow the prompts on a webpage that will pop up, said Sauve.

TransLink said the reason it’s doing the program is to “improve the customer experience on transit” and to find new funding through advertising.

Advertising revenue has steadily been increasing for TransLink, totalling $9.3 million last year, up from $8.1 million in 2011, the authority said.

TransLink rolls out WiFi buses | Vancouver 24 hrs
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #6667
MG1

The 555......... in Japanese 5 is read, go!

Go, Go, Go.............. to Walnut Grove!

On a side note, Wednesday is Pirate Pak Day. The one time in the year you have good excuse to order a Pirate Pack and not feel like poo, LOL.

https://www.whitespot.ca/piratepakday

Hey, I get kids meal at McD's now and then when nobody is with me..........

Last edited by MG1; 08-11-2014 at 06:21 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #6668
MG1

Hey, I just got e-mail telling me I won the Spanish Lottery, LOL. Loteria Espaņa.

915 thousand Euros..............

I'm richer than I thought. Okay, with the money, I'm gonna buy out Captain Happy Bubble and relocate it to a much better location.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #6669
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Well I doubt the socket can fit into bolt / nut wheel of expensive rims. I think you can probably use them on cheap steel wheels.
you can if people use those stupidly long lug nuts.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #6670
MG1

Somewhere lost in the headlines today with the suicide of RW and all, is the passing away of a legendary actress. Lauren Bacall. Such a hottie and an equally sharp wit.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2014, 06:58 AM   #6671
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
^^ GF spotted you and your wife at Costco.

Yellow shades
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #6672
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Well this is pretty messed up, some guy randomly stabbed someone with a needle near Metrotown

Burnaby woman randomly stabbed in the leg with needle | News1130

Quote:
BURNABY (NEWS1130) – Burnaby RCMP are asking for your help to find the person involved in what police are calling an unprovoked assault that happened last Friday morning.

Just before 10:30 a.m. a woman was walking eastbound on the south side of Kingsway and was stopped at a light at McKay Avenue when a man, standing next to her, stabbed her in the leg with a needle. There was something in the syringe, but that information isn’t being released right now.

She was treated in the hospital and released soon after.

“While the nature of this incident is a significant concern for police, it is also highly unusual. As of today, we’ve had no other reported incidents,” says Inspector Bob Page. “The suspect’s description stands out and we remain hopeful that someone will identify him. That’s why we are urging the public to share the suspect’s description with your families and friends.”

The suspect is described as a dark-skinned man with dyed, short blond hair. He’s about 35-years-old and 5’7″ tall. He was wearing a light blue tank top, dark jeans and was carrying three shopping bags.

If you know anything about this case or were in the area at the time, you are asked to call Burnaby RCMP at 604.294.7922 or CrimeStoppers at 1.800.222.TIPS (8477).
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #6673
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster minister denied driver's licence photo in British Columbia | CTV News

lol i didn't even know such a religion existed
I say let him, if he wants to have a pasta strainer on his dl why the fuck not
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #6674
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
^^ GF spotted you and your wife at Costco.

Yellow shades
That would be my evil twin. Did he have long beard? If not, that was him.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:03 PM   #6675
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
CP Rail rolled in and started clearing stuff along the Arbutus Corridor. Freeloaders upset.

Quote:
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – Many thought it was a bluff by Canadian Pacific.

Community gardeners in Marpole found out Thursday CP is completely serious about clearing the Arbutus Corridor to use as a railway track again.

A bulldozer ripped up structures, gardens and fencing near West 70th Ave., leaving piles of wood, roots and dead flowers.

Parker Cook lives in Marpole and says while CP has the right to clear its land, it could have waited until the harvest was over.

“It looks like a hurricane went through there, frankly. It’s amazing how much work people had put in them.”

Cook scoffs at the message from CP that the railway needs additional rail for training and storage, calling it “a load of BS.”

Maria says her seven-year-old garden full of herbs and vegetables was destroyed, but she says she can’t complain because she didn’t pay for it. “That is not mine, it’s okay. I had a good time, exercise.”

Deanna Rexe, who lives in a housing co-op beside the track, says the July 31 deadline came and went, but on Thursday, the heavy equipment and CP police officers appeared.

Rexe and others who have gardens along the line were told by police that they had 20 minutes to clear out.

“That’s why we’re working in a hurry to harvest, and to save the flowers so we can move them elsewhere in the property,” she said as she uprooted plants in her garden.

Sarah Myambo has been growing vegetables for 25 years on her garden plot and watched as the heavy equipment rolled into the area.

“I can’t even cry. I have no tears,” she said. “I just cannot believe it.”

CP told residents in a recent letter that contractors will be making their way along the corridor, identifying needed track improvements and removing items throughout August and September.

“CP is doing what it said it would do; complete the necessary work, which includes the safe removal of vegetation and obstructions, to begin to get the track and infrastructure in the area up to federal operating standards,” spokeswoman Breanne Feigel said in an email.

“We approached the work today carefully and were respectful to our neighbours along this corridor. CP Police and other officials were on the property today to ensure public safety as machinery was being used.”

The company also said on its website that for many years, it has been involved in conversations to convert the Arbutus Corridor for a number of combined public uses, such as “a greenway, public transportation, community gardens and eco-density development.”

“Despite our efforts, the company and other parties have been unable to achieve a plan for the disposition of this valuable asset,” it said.

“As such, we are moving forward with upgrading this rail line to ensure it meets the regulated safety requirements for our operations.”

Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson wasn’t available for an interview, but said in an emailed statement, “It’s very disappointing, given there is no business case for reactivating cargo trains. We’ve asked CP to respect the wishes of the local neighbourhood, and to continue to work with the city towards a long-term solution.”

In late July, Robertson sent a letter to Canadian Pacific CEO Hunter Harrison, noting the city disagrees with the company on a fair market value for the land. He also asked the company to not remove community gardens along the rail line.

“In fairness to the residents along the corridor, over the last 14 years there have been no trains, minimal upkeep and little to no interest in this greenway from CP,” the letter said.

“No one disputes CP’s legal rights; however, the very short notice given for removal of any and all encroaching uses has created a huge amount of anxiety, especially given the many years these uses have been allowed and not objected to by CP.”