REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #4576
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
If you see people trying to hold a parking spot by standing in it, or know people that do this, you should punch them in the fucking mouth.
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #4577
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
If you see people trying to hold a parking spot by standing in it, or know people that do this, you should punch them in the fucking mouth.
+1

once at buntzen lake plark, saw this dude in truck trying park into a spot being held by other guy... he was yelling he was being run over, calling 911 etc etc
pretty funny lol
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #4578
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,644 Times in 2,300 Posts
Famous Sriracha 'Rooster Sauce' finally makes the move to new Irwindale factory - The Daily Breeze

IRWINDALE - Huy Fong Foods founder David Tran designed the chili hopper at his new factory with a model constructed from pieces of a manila envelope.

The 69-year-old Chinese entrepreneur built his Sriracha spicy chili sauce empire from the ground up just a few months after immigrating from Vietnam as a refugee in 1979. Next month, he'll move his now flourishing business into a brand new 650,000 square-foot factory.

"Thirty-three years in business

Huy Fong Foods, Inc. holds a groundbreaking ceremony for the company's new facility on Azusa Canyon Road in Irwindale Oct. 6, 2010. (SGVN/Staff Photo by Sarah Reingewirtz)
and we still only have three products, it says a lot," said Executive Operations Officer Donna Lam, who is Tran's sister-in-law. "I think we are a little bit different."
Tran founded his business in 1980 in Los Angeles Chinatown and moved to a factory in Rosemead six years later. Since then, business has exploded; he now sells his famous sauce in every U.S. state and every continent across the globe, with the company's newest customers in Libya. To keep up with demand, the company had to build the new $40 million facility in Irwindale, which more than doubles the square footage of the Rosemead factory.

Tran works seven days a week in all aspects of the business, even down to installing the electrical wiring on the factory's new chili washers and mashers.

"When I'm not here, I'm always thinking about my business," Tran said.

The new building was erected in 2011, with the help of city of Irwindale redevelopment funds, but Tran's meticulous methods, custom designed and self-installed equipment have slowed down the move, said Director of Operations Adam Holliday, who is Tran's son-in-law.

"We are doing a lot of the installation ourselves, that's how (Tran)

has always done it," Holliday said. "I remember when I first started working here, he would hire a plumber, for example, and he would watch him and he would say, 'That's easy,' and then he would do it himself."
The big move into the new factory has also had to work around the strict production schedule for the three chili sauces Huy Fong produces. The company harvests all its chilies -- which last year was more than 50,000 tons -- from one farm, Underwood Family Farms in Ventura, once a year around the third week of August.

Last year Huy Fong produced its first batch of chili sauce in Irwindale, but had to truck the finished product back to Rosemead for bottling. Huy Fong makes all of its bottles and one-ton chili storage barrels in-house and packages them to be picked up by a distributor. Now, the bottling equipment is almost completely installed in Irwindale, and Holliday said the company hopes to be in full operation for the upcoming harvest season in August or the beginning of September.

Tran, who lives in Arcadia with his wife, said he decided to make his own version of the Thai-inspired Sriracha chili sauce because the options already in existence didn't satisfy his taste.

"The other sauces out there were not using fresh chilies," Tran said. "Hot sauce, you make it your way. You don't try to copy someone else. I wanted to make it as fresh as possible."

He first started producing the sauce while still in Vietnam, bottling it in baby food containers and selling it out of his home. When he started making it in the U.S. he assumed it would mainly serve the local Vietnamese community.

"I started my chili sauce business where I lived ... for our Vietnamese community. I never thought we could sell it to the mainstream," Tran said. "We started from very small."

Even as his product's reach has expanded, Tran has maintained a family-oriented business. Both of his children work for Huy Fong, as do their spouses. Holliday said the company only employs 50 people year round, adding about 100 temporary workers during the harvest season. Holliday says the company tries to "stay humble and make a product people like," and continue to offer the product at a low price.

"My sauce is the rich man's quality for the poor man's price," Tran said. "I need money but I don't need to be a billionaire. I need to keep the price low so that everyone can enjoy it."

And it appears Tran's goals have been achieved, as the chili sauce has made its mark throughout the San Gabriel Valley and way beyond. A local company even prints and sells T-shirts, pins and other merchandise with the "rooster sauce" logo.

The sauce has also made an appearance in a few videos from comedians David and Andrew Fung, who create music videos representing the Asian community in the San Gabriel Valley.

Andrew Fung said the sauce has become somewhat of a celebrity in its own right, especially in "the 626."

"The sauce is pretty much ubiquitous, in every pho restaurant, it's on every Vietnamese table and even American restaurants have it," Fung said. "I think it's pretty cool that a sauce that started here in Rosemead is worldwide now."

And Tran said the company will only keep growing -- at least as fast as the farm can grow more chilies. Even as the company prepares to complete the big move, he said he's already looking forward.

"Every year we increase business by 20 percent, so in 2017 we will have no more room" in this factory, he said.
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #4579
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Happened to me a few months ago but only just remembered it now.

Went to a sushi place and saw a couple come in, the girl was obviously preggo, like 7 months in maybe more.

I just casually watched them order, they spoke chinese and I did not understand but when the food came it was D:?!?!?

ALL SUSHI AND SASHIMI! Like what regular people eat n shit on a nice day out. This obviously was some sort of special occasion as they did order some pricy things. I was so close to getting up and telling them that she shouldnt be eating raw fish...

Am I too paranoid? Should I have gone up to her? What would you guys have done? I only didnt because it seemed like a special occasion and I dont know too much about preggo people, but I heard they shouldnt be eating raw meats/fish.
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #4580
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
"They" say you shouldn't....but I don't think there would be anything wrong with eating it once or twice while pregnant.

I imagine there are millions of Japanese women who continue to eat sushi while pregnant. (this is just an assumption).

Not sure how I will give it up when the time comes to get knocked up
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #4581
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
Am I too paranoid? Should I have gone up to her? What would you guys have done? I only didnt because it seemed like a special occasion and I dont know too much about preggo people, but I heard they shouldnt be eating raw meats/fish.
Yes. No. Nothing.

There's no conclusive evindence, linking the consumption of sushi to birth defects/pregnancy related issues. Having said that, I would still stay away from mollusks, bottom-feeders, mackerel and tuna.

How Safe is it to Eat Sushi or Raw Fish During in Pregnancy? | BabyMed.com

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #4582
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

anyone good with kyosho mini-z awd. got couple questions about them

thanks!
BeeBeeSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #4583
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Quote:
Happened to me a few months ago but only just remembered it now.

Went to a sushi place and saw a couple come in, the girl was obviously preggo, like 7 months in maybe more.

I just casually watched them order, they spoke chinese and I did not understand but when the food came it was D:?!?!?

ALL SUSHI AND SASHIMI! Like what regular people eat n shit on a nice day out. This obviously was some sort of special occasion as they did order some pricy things. I was so close to getting up and telling them that she shouldnt be eating raw fish...

more often than not, if you do, you'll just be told to gtfo and mind your own god damn business even when you mean good, and a possible punch to the face.

people these days.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #4584
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Holy shit I just hit 12k posts in the last two days.

...I think I need a life.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #4585
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
12k posts? Holy shit, that's a lot......

Just posted that to see how many posts I've made, LOL.......... no, not LOL.......... more like

I have cut back the last few weeks............. it's summer time. So many freakin' things to do, like do some shit around the house - boss (wife) is not happy with me.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #4586

Soooo.... QE on Wednesday, MG1?

Winter excuse = wait til summer
Summer excuse = too hot, wait til it cools down

Rinse, repeat

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 08-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #4587
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
went from 8k to 18k in like 2-3yrs? ever since i started sitting by a computer for work
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #4588
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post

You have a life....its called REVSCENE!!!

RS4lyfe, yo!!

dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #4589
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post

12k? That's it? Pft!

I wish I was still down in those numbers.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #4590
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post

Soooo.... QE on Wednesday, MG1?

Winter excuse = wait til summer
Summer excuse = too hot, wait til it cools down

Rinse, repeat
only if it's early morning
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #4591
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
I just start pulling into the spot and wait. Eventually they get tired of standing and/or their friend gives up on trying to get past my partly-in car.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #4592
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Can anyone tell me what these mean?
Was looking for some dharma ones and these came with them, wouldn't mind putting them on.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:19 AM   #4593

Sandwich Nazi documentary in the works.

HONOUR BOUND | Help Get A Documentary On Vancouver?s ?Sandwich Nazi? Get Made : Scout Magazine

RSUV #7

Last edited by fliptuner; 08-06-2013 at 03:43 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #4594
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
Quote:
What if he has a shopping cart? o_o

xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #4595
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
Quote:
I dont know too much about preggo people, but I heard they shouldnt be eating raw meats/fish.
Why would you even think about interrupting people to tell them about something that you have absolutely no knowledge in?
Old 08-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #4596
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
grabbed this off reddit...

Tips to avoid parking tickets in Van.

Top tricks and secrets to avoid getting a parking ticket

My favorite, buried about halfway...

"in the 2500-block of Pine than anywhere else. That’s because a resident calls parking enforcement about three times a day to complain about illegal parkers. "

You are now notorious enough that the press knows its one, singular person.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #4597
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I once saw a thread where RS members provided current license plates available at insurance companies. Forgive me but I did do a search but couldn't find it, can anyone help out?
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #4598
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
^^^
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60041...-plates-4.html
Old 08-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #4599
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Well at least these are not tattoos.

From right to left:
Wealth
(doesn't mean anything, you got the wrong side)
Success (this was written the wrong way round, this cannot be that old)
(doesn't mean anything, you got the wrong side)
Wealth and Long Life
Long Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
Can anyone tell me what these mean?
Was looking for some dharma ones and these came with them, wouldn't mind putting them on.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #4600
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
it's my fucking birthday today lol
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote