REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:46 PM   #8651
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,730 Times in 374 Posts
local store selling aftermarket lug nuts?
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #8652
Banned By Establishment

Lordco and Canadian Tire and any of the auto accessory stores in the Asian Malls like Super Garage in Aberdeen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #8653
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
On my drive to Richmond today, I came across a pretty scary accident on the corner of 49th and Royal Oak. At first, I thought it was just an old Asian lady who fell in the middle of the road, but as my son and I raced out of the car to help her, it was much worse. She had been run over by a Smithrite truck. The driver was at the scene calling the ambulance. I checked her quickly and with the help of the driver and another person, we lifted her to the safety of the curb. I left the car in the middle of the road because she was pretty tiny and she may have been hit again. Anyway, after we got her to the curb I noticed her blood soaked socks and something white sticking out of her sneakers. Broken bone that ripped through the sneakers, damn. I wasn't 100 % sure, but I was too freaked out to check it further. She kept wanting to touch it and I kept her from doing so.

The ambulance arrived pretty quickly - within five minutes. People didn't honk or drive off in a hurry, but I was so happy to see so many concerned citizens willing to help translate and whatnot.

I was just wAndering how things might have gone down if this was Gululu territory.......... my guess is she'd be run over a few more times and left for dead. It's much better for her "to died" than burden the family with hospital costs......... I've been brainwashed by western media............ Gululu, enlighten us.

BTW, it looked like the old lady was not at the crosswalk. Unless the truck dragged her a few yards.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #8654
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

^ wow man thank you on behalf of humanity dude. she must have felt alot better knowing there was help and help on the way. I really hope she is okay and makes a speedy and healthy recovery.
Porsche957 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #8655
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
In cases like that where she's still awake and aware it's one thing, but in general moving people who have been hit/fallen is usually a big no no

Good on ya for helping though
Old 07-06-2016, 04:31 PM   #8656
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
exactly what I was going to say about moving her, even if she's moving its best to have her lay down and stay still since she will be in shock
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #8657
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Wow, that must've been really painful for her, I hope she recovers quickly.

Unrelated but I just witnessed a lady (not old) falling on 41st Ave across from Oakridge. Her and a friend were jaywalking and she fell. Luckily for her there was no traffic going westbound. Not sure why they couldn't take the extra couple minutes to use the crosswalk.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:26 PM   #8658
MG1

Yeah, I had to make a quick decision. Traffic there is nuts as it is. The driver said we should get her out of the way and I mentioned that she may have a broken hip or something, but I've dealt with my mom breaking her hip twice and all signs indicated she was not injured in that area. I guess we could have blocked the road, but she was not where people would normally be walking. All it takes is some asshat to rip it around the corner and we'd all be hit. Anyway.................I took first aid like 45 years ago and that's the one thing I still remember - not to move the injured.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #8659
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
MG1, you da real MVP.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #8660
MG1

Actually, my son was the first to run out there. I'm so proud of him. He's always the first to help out others who are in need. Sometimes without thinking, which scares me a bit. Like standing up for others in potentially dangerous situations.

This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #8661
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I was just wAndering how things might have gone down if this was Gululu territory.......... my guess is she'd be run over a few more times and left for dead. It's much better for her "to died" than burden the family with hospital costs......... I've been brainwashed by western media............ Gululu, enlighten us.
According to friend from China (told me circa 2008), if someone runs over someone in China, it is a much more viable option to keep running them over til they die. If they survive they are hooked on to the medical bills and income etc. for life whereas if they died they just have to pay a $200k(?) RMB fine.
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #8662
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
According to friend from China (told me circa 2008), if someone runs over someone in China, it is a much more viable option to keep running them over til they die. If they survive they are hooked on to the medical bills and income etc. for life whereas if they died they just have to pay a $200k(?) RMB fine.
Yeah but you end up in jail or executed for murder. Unless you have connections you can't avoid it like that.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #8663

I received that information in 2008 so who knows, things may have changed. Here is a 2015 article discussing this phenomenon
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...t_china_s.html
Quote:
In April a BMW racing through a fruit market in Foshan in China’s Guangdong province knocked down a 2-year-old girl and rolled over her head. As the girl’s grandmother shouted, “Stop! You’ve hit a child!” the BMW’s driver paused, then switched into reverse and backed up over the girl. The woman at the wheel drove forward once more, crushing the girl for a third time. When she finally got out from the BMW, the unlicensed driver immediately offered the horrified family a deal: “Don’t say that I was driving the car,” she said. “Say it was my husband. We can give you money.”

It seems like a crazy urban legend: In China, drivers who have injured pedestrians will sometimes then try to kill them. And yet not only is it true, it’s fairly common; security cameras have regularly captured drivers driving back and forth on top of victims to make sure that they are dead. The Chinese language even has an adage for the phenomenon: “It is better to hit to kill than to hit and injure.”

This 2008 television report features security camera footage of a dusty white Passat reversing at high speed and smashing into a 64-year-old grandmother. The Passat’s back wheels bounce up over her head and body. The driver, Zhao Xiao Cheng, stops the car for a moment then hits the gas, causing his front wheels to roll over the woman. Then Zhao shifts into drive, wheels grinding the woman into the pavement. Zhao is not done. Twice more he shifts back and forth between drive and reverse, each time thudding over the grandmother’s body. He then speeds away from her corpse.

Incredibly, Zhao was found not guilty of intentional homicide. Accepting Zhao’s claim that he thought he was driving over a trash bag, the court of Taizhou in Zhejiang province sentenced him to just three years in prison for “negligence.” Zhao’s case was unusual only in that it was caught on video. As the television anchor noted, “You can see online an endless stream of stories talking about cases similar to this one.”

“Double-hit cases” have been around for decades. I first heard of the “hit-to-kill” phenomenon in Taiwan in the mid-1990s when I was working there as an English teacher. A fellow teacher would drive us to classes. After one near-miss of a motorcyclist, he said, “If I hit someone, I’ll hit him again and make sure he’s dead.” Enjoying my shock, he explained that in Taiwan, if you cripple a man, you pay for the injured person’s care for a lifetime. But if you kill the person, you “only have to pay once, like a burial fee.” He insisted he was serious—and that this was common.

Most people agree that the hit-to-kill phenomenon stems at least in part from perverse laws on victim compensation. In China the compensation for killing a victim in a traffic accident is relatively small—amounts typically range from $30,000 to $50,000—and once payment is made, the matter is over. By contrast, paying for lifetime care for a disabled survivor can run into the millions. The Chinese press recently described how one disabled man received about $400,000 for the first 23 years of his care. Drivers who decide to hit-and-kill do so because killing is far more economical. Indeed, Zhao Xiao Cheng—the man caught on a security camera video driving over a grandmother five times—ended up paying only about $70,000 in compensation.

In 2010 in Xinyi, video captured a wealthy young man reversing his BMW X6 out of a parking spot. He hits a 3-year-old boy, knocking the child to the ground and rolling over his skull. The driver then shifts his BMW into drive and crushes the child again. Remarkably, the driver then gets out of the BMW, puts the vehicle in reverse, and guides it with his hand as he walks the vehicle backward over the boy’s crumpled body. The man’s foot is so close to the toddler’s head that, if alive, the boy could have reached out and touched him. The driver then puts the BMW in drive again, running over the boy one last time as he drives away.

Here too, the driver was charged only with accidentally causing a person’s death. (He claimed to have confused the boy with a cardboard box or trash bag.) Police rejected charges of murder and even of fleeing the scene of the crime, ignoring the fact that the driver ran over the boy’s head as he sped away.

These drivers are willing to kill not only because it is cheaper, but also because they expect to escape murder charges. In the days before video cameras became widespread, it was rare to have evidence that a driver hit the victim twice. Even in today’s age of cellphone cameras, drivers seem confident that they can either bribe local officials or hire a lawyer to evade murder charges.

Perhaps the most horrific of these hit-to-kill cases are the ones in which the initial collision didn’t injure the victim seriously, and yet the driver came back and killed the victim anyway. In Sichuan province, an enormous, dirt-encrusted truck knocked down a 2-year-old boy. The toddler was only dazed by the initial blow, and immediately climbed to his feet. Eyewitnesses said that the boy went to fetch his umbrella, which had been thrown across the street by the impact, when the truck reversed and crushed him, this time killing him.

Despite the eyewitness testimony, the county chief of police declared that the truck had never reversed, never hit the boy a second time, and that the wheels never rolled over the child. Meanwhile, one outraged website posted photographs appearing to show the child’s body under the truck’s front wheel.

In each of these cases, despite video and photographs showing that the driver hit the victim a second, and often even a third, fourth, and fifth time, the drivers ended up paying the same or less in compensation and jail time than they would have if they had merely injured the victim.

With so many hit-to-kill drivers escaping serious punishment, the Chinese public has sometimes taken matters into its own hands. In 2013 a crowd in Zhengzhou in Henan province beat a wealthy driver who killed a 6-year-old after allegedly running him over twice. (A television report claims the crowd had acted on “false rumors.” However, at least five witnesses assert on camera that the man had run over the child a second time.)

Of course, not every hit-to-kill driver escapes serious punishment. A man named Yao Jiaxin who in 2010 hit a bicyclist in Xian and returned to make sure she was dead—even stabbing the injured woman with a knife—was convicted and executed. In 2014 a driver named Zhang Qingda who had hit an elderly man in Jiayu Pass in Gansu province with his pickup truck and circled around to crush the man again was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Both China and Taiwan have passed laws attempting to eradicate hit-to-kill cases. Taiwan’s legislature reformed Article 6 of its Civil Code, which had long restricted the ability to bring civil lawsuits on behalf of others (such as a person killed in a traffic accident). Meanwhile, China’s legislature has emphasized that multiple-hit cases should be treated as murders. Yet even when a driver hits a victim multiple times, it can be hard to prove intent and causation—at least to the satisfaction of China’s courts. Judges, police, and media often seem to accept rather unbelievable claims that the drivers hit the victims multiple times accidentally, or that the drivers confused the victims with inanimate objects.

Hit-to-kill cases continue, and hit-to-kill drivers regularly escape serious punishment. In January a woman was caught on video repeatedly driving over an old man who had slipped in the snow. In April a school bus driver in Shuangcheng was accused of driving over a 5-year-old girl again and again. In May a security camera filmed a truck driver running over a young boy four times; the driver claimed that he had never noticed the child.

And last month the unlicensed woman who had killed the 2-year-old in the fruit market with her BMW—and then offered to bribe the family—was brought to court. She claimed the killing was an accident. Prosecutors accepted her assertion, and recommended that the court reduce her sentence to two to four years in prison.

This light sentence would still be more of a punishment than many drivers have received for similar crimes. But it probably won’t be enough to keep the next driver from putting his car in reverse and hitting the gas.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #8664
MG1

Happy, happy, joy, joy. My gladiolus plants are finally showing signs of budding. I've got a smile on my face bigger than the front grill of a Mazda.

Happy because for the longest of time, they looked like duds. Lots of leaves, but little of anything else. I thought I bought defective bulbs from Costco. Was going to return them,

This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #8665
MG1

Just made and had some chicken breast skewers I got from Costco the other day. Damn, they're good. On sale, too. I think it was 10 bucks or so for 2.3 lbs. Fully cooked, so just heat and serve. Made by Westend Cuisine (Made in Canada). It's a little spicy, but if you like it hot, it comes with a Sriracha glaze that is pretty damn hot. Gonna put some hairs on your chest, boyz.

Rarely would I post and suggest something that is found in the freezer section, but this shit is really good. And, it's cheap. For you single guys, it's perfect.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #8666
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
If anyone is interested, Greek Summerfest started yesterday. I highly recommend going for dinner. I had the Gyros dinner and it was great. Grabbed a bag of cherries on my way out too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #8667
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Saw somthing today that made me feel good about the fellow man

Walking home from walking around Burnaby lake down on the Winston slip/government an older guy in a suit had a decent little 80's GTI, he was pulled over by the train crossing and searching through the back of his vehicle as I was walking up

He pulled out a jerry can, presumably out of fuel. Felt sorry for him and was gonna tell him if he didn't know already that shell and esso were about a 10 minute walk in the direction I was going in

Was about 25 feet away when he stuck out his thumb hoping to hitch a ride to the station, was wearing a suit and dress shoes so understandable, but in my head I was thinking I probably wouldn't pick him up

The third vehicle to pass pulled over and gave him a ride within 20 seconds of him sticking out his thumb, an older Volvo I beleive with a dog in the back

Good on the guy.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:35 AM   #8668
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
... in China.
We had a thread about an Asian boy a few years ago whose mom was run over to death and the driver not stopping... basically doing a hit and run.
The driver served no punishment and the son with the dead mother got $400 from some Canadian victims assistance agency.
Had the sons mother been killed in China he would have received atleast 4 million dollars worth of money and time (which is more valuable then money often) from the driver to somewhat replace his murdered mother.

Iran has similar laws.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #8669
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Hmmm... okay peoples, I had some water backing up through a drain at the back of the house with the heavy rains that hit Saturday morning. Thinking that it's time to have a camera snaked down through the drainage tile system to see what's going on down there.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a company? I'm in Burnaby, so there's the obvious Milani Plumbing, Drainmaster or Rotorooters.. Anyone else here on the forums run a small business doing this kind of stuff that I can bring out?
EuterVanWasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #8670
Need my Daily Fix of RS

^^ Ahh crap, perhaps this was better off in the "Where can I buy this locally" thread. Sorry bout that
EuterVanWasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:12 PM   #8671
MG1

I live in North Burnaby and I have water bubbling out of the city sewer access pipe with the BWW cover on it. It is on the other side of the front yard fence, so it's city property. I'll have to call the city and let them know, I guess.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:21 PM   #8672
MG1

It's almost over, but more info on other events as you scroll down.

In case there are people on RS with love for "real" music, hee hee.

https://www.burnaby.ca/Assets/VSO+Program+2016.pdf

Old 07-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #8673

Planning to go to whistler in the next few days. Would booking activities like ziplining and atv be cheaper or would it be the same as walking in or even more expensive?
Old 07-12-2016, 06:45 PM   #8674
Banned By Establishment

Ziplining books fast so you might want to do that ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2016, 07:16 PM   #8675
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
Planning to go to whistler in the next few days. Would booking activities like ziplining and atv be cheaper or would it be the same as walking in or even more expensive?
Go buy the gift card from Costco. $150 iirc.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: