REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 09-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
What was your HS average going into SFU/UBC?

Just wondering what everyone's averages were when they applied for either UBC or SFU (and to which faculty).

Applying for SFU in a couple of months for applied sciences at around 84-88% average.

This would give me a good idea of whether I should relax a bit more or not lol

Thanks!
Advertisement
Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
when I applied, I had 85. Got early acceptance, dropped 2 of the classes I was taking (random electives) and my average dropped to 75% lol. I got in, SFU sciences.

If you want to go to UBC no matter what, try doing a 2 year diploma at langara and then transfer to UBC, it's much easier to get in then (I know friends who did it with ~75-80% average whereas I have a much higher average and would likely get rejected).
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
HS average has gone up dramatically in the past 10 years...maybe it dropped again when they dropped provincial exams
best just to compare the average from last year (I know they release that info each year...try googling it or ask your counselor)

I think your solid 80's is good for SFU App Sci. Can't you use a lot non-academic courses to count towards SFU?

For maybe half a decade ago when applying to UBC you used your 2nd term marks to get your foot in the door..I remember my grades were average all throughout HS but I worked my ass off just for that 2nd term...it paid off and was easy because I was only taking like 4 academic courses..the rest were BS/free blocks
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
i got in SFU spring 2011 semester for computer science with a 80%
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,947 Times in 585 Posts
in with 95% out with 72.1%
UBC Sciences- Physics
RCubed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm almost certain I can obtain at least an 84% average, but I'll just hope on getting accepted with an 80 (just assuming something goes wrong).

@ Dhillion09: I'm Asian LOL my parents think college = failure, and they've brainwashed me in thinking so too. I know it's not, but I guess it's better to aim high, than to do a transfer from Langara or BCIT.

If anyone else can contribute, that would help a lot, thanks!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

77%.

your guys averages are so high
wuuhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #8
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I don't know what the admission averages will be for you in 2012, but this year UBC admission was really competitive. I got into SFU business, but I got rejected from UBC (couldn't even get into arts, and this happened to my other friend as well). Imo, you should try your best and aim for the highest mark you can achieve, because it will probably be difficult to get in with 80%. Make sure you work on your supplementals early as well. Good luck!
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

There are couple of courses that have now become provincially examinable like Law and Criminology, so the average % to get in will definitely go up with these GPA booster courses. I believe the average to get in went up when universities didn't require provincial exams to be counted as part of your mark. That being said, SFU should not be too difficult to get in with 80s unless if you're going to Business. As for being able to relax, I'm sure you'll get in with low 80s but maybe not early acceptance? Not too sure on that. Good luck.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
just langara it imo, focus there (and use tehir resources) and you will be ok.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

90.5% in Applied Biology Faculty of Land and Foods. Cut off for my year (2010) was 90%. This year is apparently 93%.
Lamboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
Hopeless Romantic

In at about 96%... SFU Sciences. Currently significantly lower... Motivation and effort where did you go? Why have you been replaced with procrastination?

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo I (Sold)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (Daily Driven)
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:25 AM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

when i got into ubc arts in 2007, my HS average counting 4 courses was 83%. I'm sure its much higher now, maybe 86%? to get into Arts.
king_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #14
Fabulous Rugby Quad Sports Mod

86% was my average and I applied to arts programs at UBC and SFU and got accepted to both.
RacingMetro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

89% sfu sciences in 2010

why u no accept me ubc
haha13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #16
Need to Seek Professional Help

93, admitted to sfu business this year, science at ubc as alternative
and then ubc commerce finally accepted me.
for applied science you should def work for the highest grade possible, and i dont think supplementals are that important for your faculty but would defintely be a bonus
i know people that got accepted to ubc engineering with 90%-/+ with little to none supplementals
rocksforsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #17
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

90, admitted to UBC arts, 2nd year transfer to commerce

when i got to 3rd year, i was bitter at everyone who did 2 years of langara then went straight to sauder 3rd year.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #18

I really appreciate everyone's input.

I just found these averages on SFU's site.

Admission averages - Admission - Simon Fraser University

These averages don't have to be met in order to get in right? And I heard that if I got into an easy faculty for the purpose of just getting in, it's going to be harder to transfer out, and I may be stuck in it. Is that true? And where do I start my supplementary?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm pretty new to this stuff, as I started looking into it couple weeks ago. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #19
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,352 Times in 263 Posts
Hey Fcukedd, I understand Asian parents and their need for you to go to University haha. But seeing your average right now you look like you're good to get in. I wanted to get into Arts and for my year to get in, the average needed was 82.5%. I missed the cut-off by 0.5% and I literally didn't get in, so I went to Kwantlen for one year and transferred back in. It was easier and much more fruitful in my opinion. So if on the off chance you do miss the cut off, just go to college for one year, it's cheaper and you can try out different kinds of courses to see what fits your liking. If you do make it into SFU though, let's chill .
guddagudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #20
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

The marks put on the SFU site are general guidelines. For instance if this is a strong year (which it likely will be) then the admission cut off will be a lot higher than the ones put on the guideline.

I know university is glamorized in this society but you might want to invest your time more wisely by doing something else instead. First and second year university courses are generally designed to weed out people who cannot handle university level studies (there are 500 students in one lecture hall in an UBC economics course for example - although this is quite excessive even considering university class sizes). These people end up going to college and end up transferring back to university.

I'm guessing applied sciences = engineering? I have relatively no interest in science so forgive my ignorance if that's not what you're going into but nonetheless I suggest you strongly research what BCIT can provide for you.

As for transferring between faculties in a university, it can be done. All you have to do is take the courses required for the faculty you want to get into with sufficient grades and it should be done.

IMO don't worry about supplementary unless if you're borderline or going into business. Time spent worry about supplementary can be used to study instead :P

Also go check out bctransferguide.ca and see if that can help you out.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #21
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
78-82% in high school, admitted into SFU Bsc Environmental Science program, lol it sucks balls though so i'm probably transferring into economics or crim which I find more interesting,

you can take almost any first year course with any faculty/major @ SFU so it's not much to worry about, I only took one Faculty of environment course out of 12 courses I've taken so far lol. I've dropped 5-10% from my high school marks which isn't bad considering how my friends did at UBC, then again most of them cheated their way through gr. 11/12
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #22
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
shocked to see people getting rejected with very high 80's at UBC
..but all programs there should have broader based admissions...ie you can use your extracurricular to gain an upper hand.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #23
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
why do you guys all have crazy averages??
i think my hs avg was like high 60's low 70's...
do you guys study like 24/7?
my post secondary gpa was higher than hs...

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #24
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

77% going into SFU Arts. 3.7 GPA in business now.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #25
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
SFU Communication. High school edu courses (like math, socials, science, english) 85%, all gr 12 course: 90%

I think when I applied SFU only took my Math, History, English and Science marks into account and ignored course like Marketing, P.E, Law etc

Last edited by Jgresch; 01-03-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote