REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #301
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
My landlord was showing the place we're moving out of last night (we got to stick around and see the prospective new tenants)

The showing was arranged for 5:30-6:30

One couple showed up at 7:30. They mentioned they had two cats, wafted of cigarette smoke, and when asked about references on the application form the guy was like "ummmm I can put down some names of contractors and people I work with, yeah".

Their application went in the garbage can as soon as they left. It was quite comical.
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #302
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Just found this while reading the news

Vancouver reviews no-pet policy for renters - British Columbia - CBC News
kiwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #303
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
My landlord was showing the place we're moving out of last night (we got to stick around and see the prospective new tenants)

The showing was arranged for 5:30-6:30

One couple showed up at 7:30. They mentioned they had two cats, wafted of cigarette smoke, and when asked about references on the application form the guy was like "ummmm I can put down some names of contractors and people I work with, yeah".

Their application went in the garbage can as soon as they left. It was quite comical.
LOL pretty much the same thing when we rent out basement. If you have pets or smoke pretty much you are out of the race. Sorry but my sister is allgeric to pets and somkers usually just stink up the whole place sometimes you can even get rib of the smell.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #304
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
Yeah this is stupid because yes you are told you have to allow pets so all you have to say is you do but give stall tactics to applicants just like a job interview. "We're interviewing throughout the week, I'll let you know if you're the successful applicant" how can anyone prove they were discriminated against because they have a pet; you can't. Someone else was a better fit
Posted via RS Mobile
Sometimes...and I'm not saying anything that I do personally, but from stories I hear, sometimes shit people with decent credit just disappear....
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #305
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
My fav are some of the phone calls I get:

skid: "Hi, on your ad is says your do a credit check"
me: "yes"
skid: "why?? I don't want to give out my SIN...its dangerous...so-and-so told me never to give it out because my identity will be stolen"
me: "it is your right to refuse to give out information. it is also my right to require it on the application"
skid: "well, i think that is stupid, how do i know what you do with all my information??"
me: "we shred it."
skid: "well, can you prove it?? I don't think it is right you are asking me for this! what good is it?? Also, why can I come see the apt?"
me: "its no longer available" click.

Happens more often than you think. We get people all the time that lose their shit over the credit check....its usually the ones that stink like an ash tray filled with beer and have holes in their pants. Yeah honey, you ain't scared of me stealing your identity....I know what you fucking story is but by all means get all fucking confrontational with me....I LOVE renting to people like you!
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #306
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

^ Recently I sent a questionnaire to people wanting to rent my boyfriends duplex. I just simply asked these questions

Name
How long will you be renting
smoke?
pet?
working?
Reference (name and phone number)

The person gave me a long ass email, sounded pretty offended..saying how landlord and landladies are making tenant look bad etc...etc. What's worse is that the person doesn't have a cellphone and the only communication is email. The person sent the email using gmail..clicked on the name and found out the person is an unemployed writer.
kiwee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #307
Banned By Establishment

Dino's is great...I love it when people do that.

My personal irritant is when I go to the door to let them in and they are smoking. It tells me so much.

1. you can't even wait for the 30 minutes this process should take to go without one. So you smoke...a lot.

2. where are you going to butt that? Oh yes actually, I totally come down on my own free time and tend that garden specifically to have the sexiest fucking ash tray in the neighborhood.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #308
Banned By Establishment

Kiwee...if you want to come across the most entitled demographic that could possibly exist..rent out things in volume.

Holy crap.

We ARE very lucky that for the most part we have a lot of happy go lucky tenants. It's interesting that the ones that pay the most say the least. The ones that pay less are in older apartments, have been there forever and feel that the world owes them a debt of gratitude for living there since Clinton was getting blown.

I don't care if you've lived there for 1 year, 5 or new record 33. I care that you pay rent on time every single month and don't be a pain in the ass.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #309
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
where are you going to butt that? Oh yes actually, I totally come down on my own free time and tend that garden specifically to have the sexiest fucking ash tray in the neighborhood.
We live on the side of a mountain/forest, and a few weeks ago another notice went up because some units were tossing their butts from their balcony into the forest next door. Last year it was garbage that could attract wild animals. This year is a fire to roast those said animals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #310
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
also it raises the question - what if you're allergic to cat/dog fur?
Exactly. If a home owner is allergic to cigarette smoke, they'll stipulate that no smoking is allowed on the property. If they're allergic to pet fur, they'll state that no pets are allowed when writing the ad. What if a renter has a large dog that's not terribly friendly but the home owners have a couple of small children who play outside? Who's rights are being trampled on then? To call it discrimination is purely stupid.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #311
Banned By Establishment

I am curious (if this actually goes through...which it won't) how a Provincial Act (legislation, guidelines, rules, laws, etc) would react to a city bylaw.

How would breaking a city bylaw hold up in Provincial Tenancy Court?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #312
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
any thoughts on this? Seems like if they havent been convicted of anything, and havent been formally evicted then the landlord shouldnt be letting journalists tour someones home and check out their stuff.

Media access to Surrey terror suspects' apartment was illegal: civil liberties group
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #313
Banned By Establishment

No, they shouldn't...but what is the likelihood these tenants are going to file a dispute resolution case over it (which, btw, carries a fine of up to $5000).

However, this would be reason to void the rental agreement between the landlord and tenant as the tenant has been doing illegal activities within the rental unit. Usually the protocol is 30 days notice for the contract to be voided but in special and/or dangerous situation the time frame can be shortened.

The issue is, is there a valid rental agreement? These basement rentals rarely come with proper documentation.

The more important concern is, shouldn't this all be blocked off by the RCMP while they are putting together the case? Have they already collected all evidence?
Old 07-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #314
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
I miss these stories...

I wish there were more.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #315
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Posted via RS Mobile
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #316
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Many, many, many people I know rent out their basements.
I don't think any of them declare to their respective cities that they are rental units.
My understanding is that they don't do this so they don't have higher property taxes, also, they get out of paying extra income tax.

Is this what is called an illegal unit?
Does having an illegal unit void home warranty?
What about renter's insurance?
Can you have a binding tenancy agreement if the unit is illegal?
Old 07-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #317
Banned By Establishment

Oh my pet peeve! Amateur hour landlords that don't know dick about what they are doing.

Yes, let's have a media tour of the apartment. They are in jail, what do they care? Rule #1 is you need to respect people's space. Do I have proper authorization to enter. Do I have backup in case they say they didn't provide permission. Are they the type of dicks to worry about.

All relevant and important questions. All things that amateur landlords don't know and don't respect.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #318
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Is this what is called an illegal unit?
Does having an illegal unit void home warranty?
What about renter's insurance?
Can you have a binding tenancy agreement if the unit is illegal?
IIRC:

1. They are classified as 'illegal' because the plans for the addition were not included in the original blue print and were not included in the building permit. Furthermore, plumbing, electrical, etc were never properly inspected. Some cities require very specific items when a suite is built...ie: a certain number f electrical panels, windows need to be a certain size, fire blocking material between the suites and in the ceiling, etc. (I am sorry I do not know the official term, lol). These suites are also considered illegal as the rent is not being claimed as income for tax purposes.

2. I am not sure what you mean by warranty. If you mean home insurance, it can be voided as you have not been honest with the building type and occupants, etc. Example: if you claim that you have a sprinkler system, it could effect how much you pay for the insurance. If there is a fire and they find that you do not have a sprinkler system, your insurance will not cover because you lied.

3. Anyone can get renters insurance as far as I know. It is up to the tenant to do so and it specifically related to their belongings. I am not sure how living in an illegal suite would effect this.

4. YES. Even if you are renting a tent on someone's property you MUST HAVE a tenancy agreement. They are available for FREE on the RTB website along with Condition Reports (another document all parties should use) and any other form and info you need with exception to Tenancy Applications. These forms are so easy to fill out, a monkey could do it....so there is no excuse.

The tenancy branch does not give a shit about whether the suite is illegal or not.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #319
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Kiwee...if you want to come across the most entitled demographic that could possibly exist..rent out things in volume.

Holy crap.

We ARE very lucky that for the most part we have a lot of happy go lucky tenants. It's interesting that the ones that pay the most say the least. The ones that pay less are in older apartments, have been there forever and feel that the world owes them a debt of gratitude for living there since Clinton was getting blown.

I don't care if you've lived there for 1 year, 5 or new record 33. I care that you pay rent on time every single month and don't be a pain in the ass.
Truth. Met some guys here in Winnipeg that went from renting out $600 apartments to renting executive homes ($2000+ here), and they said the same; i.e. people who pay more are more willing to overlook little things that don't matter and bitch less.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #320
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
Truth. Met some guys here in Winnipeg that went from renting out $600 apartments to renting executive homes ($2000+ here), and they said the same; i.e. people who pay more are more willing to overlook little things that don't matter and bitch less.
I first heard it from a friend that sold cars. People that came in and said, "I want this car, in this color with these options..how much?" paid it out and drove away were happy that the car is what they wanted, and feel they got value from the transaction.

People that came in with 5 kids under 3, stretching their budget would cry foul about gas mileage and this isn't right and always feeling that even if they got it for $100 over cost, they could have gotten a better deal.

In terms of rentals, it is absolutely amazing the huge difference a small amount of rent can make. I take an apartment at $850 vs. $750 and its ENTIRELY different. The people go from bat shit crazy to pleasant. They come prepared. The ones at 750 inevitably ask if I'll do 740. I had one guy just fucking going on about getting it for a better price. I finally had to be rude and just be like, "NO". He fucked off after that. The other HUGE difference is end of month vs. beginning of the month. Apart from a few unusual scenarios(staying with friends mostly) the ones at the end of the month are fucking horrible! They have been de-fucking-nied from even the shitholes and you can smell the desperation along with the cheap cigarettes. If its not rented by the 10th, you are in for a long month.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #321
Banned By Establishment

Port Moody couple in battle with new landlord over their dog | Globalnews.ca

Quote:
Finding a place to rent that allows animals can be tricky.

One couple thought they had done all the right things when they moved into an apartment in Port Moody.

Dorothy van Diepen says they made it clear both in person and emails that they owned a 100 pound dog.

Their new landlord said pets were fine and they signed a one year lease.

When the couple was moving in, the strata told the couple their Lab-Jack Russell cross was too big and unless they were getting rid of it, they would have to move or face a weekly fine of $200.

Unfortunately for the couple, the bylaws for the building changed in 2009 and only small pets were allowed.

In addition, their landlord now says they’re responsible for the lease or finding a new renter.

However, van Diepen says the residential tenancy branch has informed here that there is a way she may be able to keep her dog and move into the apartment.

“Actually, we can keep him here now,” says van Diepen.

“The residential tenancy board has informed me that if the owner signed the lease, and didn’t do their due diligence and find out the bylaws, and if we want to move him in – all of the fines go to landlord, and we have no responsibility to pay them.”
Fucking. Amateur. Landlords.

You screw the pooch,and you expect them to pay for it? Are you insane? Look at what we've been talking about...entitlement. You now have a woman here who feels ENTITLED to live there, with her dog accruing fines feeling that they are 100% going to go to the landlord and feels that is an acceptable situation.

One: before you sit anywhere and accrue fines, I would make 100x times over, in WRITING that you are not liable in ANY way.

Next..I had a guy call me with this same situation. He rented out his condo and there was a pet dispute. I told him, "pay the guy off". It's a month or two of rent. Start with one month, and settle for two. If they want more than that, go to court.

My favorite part though, is this woman feels slighted, so instead of running to: the Residential Tenancy Branch in a dispute hearing, or small claims court. Or a lawyer-she runs to Global fucking news.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #322
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Port Moody couple in battle with new landlord over their dog | Globalnews.ca

You screw the pooch,and you expect them to pay for it?
Interesting choice of words.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #323
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
From my days as a tenant.

I make an appointment to view a rental.
On arriving I see used works in the gutter and broken car glass.
Oh well, I'm there I might as well go in and see how bad it can be.
Dude shows me in and there is a gaping hole in the living room ceiling with the debris on the matted, smelly shag carpet.
"i'll take care of that once you move in" he says

We go around back to see the parking spot.
A random bro gives us the stink eye, whips out his hog and power whizzes the fence.

I left them all to their own devices.

I wound up in a 36 unit building with a way cool landlord.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #324
Banned By Establishment

wow...shame you didn't take it. everyone love an outdoor bathroom.

Last edited by dinosaur; 07-07-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #325
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
wow...shame you didn't take it. everyone love an outdoor bathroom.
I'm just happy he chose the fence.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: