REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-14-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Mirror Link (control/use smartphone through car) +

1) im not sure if this should go into the audio/video forum or the mobile forum but the auto forum seems like the middle ground to me

2) the article

Sooo there's this car connectivity system that Nokia pioneered along with the Car Connectivity Consortium (nokias a charter member) where automakers and mobile companies are coming up with new ideas of integration (Volkswagon will supposedly be including MirrorLink in their vehicles soon)

where they're attempting to merge your smartphone with your vehicle

kind of like the Motorola Atrix hooking up to computers/displays MirrorLink is connecting your smartphone to your car

so your phones navigation system will be integrated into your cars display so you dont have to look at your phone etc etc

you may have heard about it before when it was called "Terminal Mode" (that was the developing stage; its now called MirrorLink for release)
here's the first video explaining/demoing it from a year ago
Spoiler!

Car Connectivity

anyway Nokia came up with the first working app to showcase the connection but it will be on other phones as well, in the future.
Since HTC and Samsung are also Charter Members and Moto/Sony are members
It just stands to reason that it'll be on Android as well, especially since Nokia says this feature will be on the Meego/Harmattan phone (Linux kernel OS and i think MirrorLink was made in Linux too but Im not certain where i read that)

you'll also be able to control features through your steering wheel etc

here's a demo/info of it

At the moment the only HeadUnit that supports MirrorLink is the new Alpine ICS-X8

here's Nokias press release about their App that works through mirror link Putting Nokia in the driving seat, with Nokia Car Mode | Nokia Conversations - The official Nokia Blog

quoted for the lazy
Spoiler!

and here's Alpines press release regarding mirror-link http://www.alpine-europe.com/fileadm...Release_EN.pdf

quoted for the lazy
Spoiler!
Advertisement

Last edited by StylinRed; 09-14-2011 at 03:24 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
new video

http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/3437/

just to re-iterate this isn't nokia exclusive its something thats going to come to all major devices and automobiles etc

Spoiler!

are behind this and its already beginning to be widely available
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote