REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 09-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Looking for a law student to provide advice

Short form-->

I work at a hotel and we offer guests secure storage for their belongs. This storage is only accessible by us and guests need either a claim tag, or be able to fully verify the contents of the bag to claim it.

Guests also sign a waiver with a clause that states "We are not responsible for any lost, stolen or damaged property".

Now a guests laptop was given away (our staff gave it away with out verifying anything) from this secure storage and my manager is claiming that we are not responsible due to this clause. The problem is that it was not stolen, but it was given to someone with out a claim tag, or being able to verify the contents.

Our staff has fucked up and we are completely in the wrong as we gave her laptop away with out verifying anything. The way this laptop was "stolen" or given away is a gray area for the clause in the T&C's. Would the Hotel Keepers Act of Canada supersede the agreement that they have signed?

I'm just looking for advice for my guest as we fucked up and our office doesn't want to take responsibility. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT -->
The hotel Keepers act of Canada states the following:

"Limitations on liability

5. The liability of a hotelkeeper, for loss of or damage to the property of a guest is limited to one hundred dollars in respect of any one article and five hundred dollars in the aggregate, except where the guest establishes

(a) that the property was lost or damaged through the default, neglect or wilful act of the hotelkeeper or his servant;

(b) that the property was deposited by or on behalf of the guest expressly for safekeeping with the hotelkeeper or his servant authorized or appearing to be authorized for the purpose, and, if so required by the hotelkeeper or his servant, in a container fastened or sealed by the depositor; or

(c) that the property was offered to the hotelkeeper or a servant authorized or appearing to be authorized for the purpose for deposit for safekeeping and the hotelkeeper or he servant refused to receive it, or, through the default of the hotelkeeper or the servant, was unable to receive it."
Advertisement

Last edited by _Hotsauce_; 09-22-2011 at 07:22 AM.
_Hotsauce_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I'm not that great in Law, just a student with basic knowledge of Business Law. However, if you would like, I can point out some things in a law student's point of view or law wise.

The employee is negligent in giving away the laptop due to his lack of attention to verify the contents and the correct tag. I would say it is the employee's fault because they didn't check the tag carefully to make sure that the customer got what was rightfully theirs. The point of secure storage is supposedly, the customer, is relying on the service to keep their valuable (mostly) belongings safe from harm so they don't have to worry about it. Also I believe that is what the service goal is supposed to provide the customer with. I'm not bashing on whoever shouldn't take the blame and who needs to pay. Just my opinion, hope it helps
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

hmm...I'm an aspiring law student only..so take this as a guess. In my opinion, there is no law saying that the employee has to verify anything..it's good business practice but it ends there. Besides, she/he signed the waiver. The limitations on liability comes into play only after liability has been established. Now I think it is definitely the employee/hotel's fault, but that does not necessarily amount to legal liability. Morally guilty..but not legally guilty imo.
JudeChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
OP attend one of the free law clinics offered by the UBC students
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote