REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Drive *spoilers*

i'd give it 80%+

action was good, other parts I think most people would find boring. a few people walked out at the beginning. felt like you stepped into the wrong movie lol. but patience and you may enjoy it hah.

it's realistic. there's like a very 70's or 80's backdrop theme even though it's current day. the gore was awesome. i guess i'd only say some people would find it boring if they don't enjoy artistic stylistic but slow scenes, there's very little action, but they're worth seeing. the car scenes were awesome.

it reminded me a lot of wong kar wai's fallen angels, but toned down, and violence jacked the fuck up.

the soundtrack was interesting.

Spoiler!
Advertisement
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
loooved it!
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
I had my doubts that Ryan Gosling would be the right man for the part, but I enjoyed it pretty good.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:21 AM   #4
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I think you either love it or hate it. The guy I saw this with... HATED it. He couldn't handle how little dialogue was in it.

Personally, I thought it was fantastic.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

The movie had it good parts and had its mehhh parts. Ulic hit it right on the spot, you do feel like you stepped into the wrong movie, I was like wtf......felt like a DEAR JOHN type of movie for the first half lol... The end made up for it but still left with a wtf feeling lol.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
He couldn't handle how little dialogue was in it.
There are a ton of movies with very little dialogue. Dialogue doesn't make a movie. There are so many emotions that can't be just conveyed with dialogue. The little dialogue set the theme up a lot better. You get a feel of what the driver's character is really like.
Posted via RS Mobile
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2011, 03:38 AM   #7
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Loved the movie and soundtrack.

The film really had a Michael Mann feel to it and this was my first Ryan Gosling and he's got my respect after this film.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I loved it. Awesome film!

It really reminded me of taxi driver with robert deniro.
Posted via RS Mobile
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Loved this movie along with it's amazing soundtrack. It's for people who appreciate some pacing throughout the movie. People who dislike this movie probably love transformers. I personally thought it was brilliant.

I would say it's a very close 2nd to Tree of Life who took the Palme d'Or this year.
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
I'm having trouble picturing Gosling in an "action" movie - to me, he's been pigeonholed into his Notebook role. But I think I'll give this movie a shot!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #11
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Good movie, Christina Hendricks didn't get enough screen time though.
beanzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #12
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I'm having trouble picturing Gosling in an "action" movie - to me, he's been pigeonholed into his Notebook role. But I think I'll give this movie a shot!
it's not really an action movie that you would typically picture its rather laid back but the film is really engaging just don't expect constant fighting/explosions/etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanzzz View Post
Good movie, Christina Hendricks didn't get enough screen time though.
yeah her role was really minimal so were the other characters actually i was expecting more scenes with them (Cranston, Brooks, Perlman)

9/10
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #13

oh and just in case anyones wondering the "Screener" that has been out isn't the same as the movie that's in theatres (music is diff etc)
Old 09-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #14
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
Loved the movie and soundtrack.

The film really had a Michael Mann feel to it and this was my first Ryan Gosling and he's got my respect after this film.
Check out Blue Valentine. Gosling got my respect after that one. I'd give this one a 8/10.
Ilagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
For the guys that like the intro song, here's a more upbeat remix of the original;

!
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Lawsuit of the day: Sarah Deming of Michigan is suing FilmDistrict, the distributor of Ryan Gosling's flick “Drive,” because she wanted more driving in the film, CNN confirmed.

The suit also names Novi, Michigan’s Emagine Theaters, because Deming wants her money back. Deming hopes to get others involved in the suit so they too can recover the $12 ticket cost.

Deming claims that the promotional material for the crime drama’s was misleading, suggesting the film would feature more action-y driving scenes.

“Drive,” by the way, tells the story of a Hollywood stunt driver (Gosling) who gets involved with a heist gone wrong. It does feature a good deal of action (and violence), but there are other elements to the film. For instance, a love story.

The suit alleges that the company "promoted the film ‘Drive’ as very similar to the ‘Fast and Furious,’ or similar, series of movies." But, Sarah was sad to learn, "’Drive’ bore very little similarity to a chase, or race action film… having very little driving in the motion picture."

Deming also claims the film is anti-Semitic, and that it “promoted violence against members of the Jewish faith.”

A spokesperson for FilmDistrict told CNN they don't comment on pending litigation.

Sarah Deming may not have liked “Drive,” but critics did. The movie earned a score of 93 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.
Moviegoer sues: Not enough driving in 'Drive' – The Marquee Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Old 10-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #17
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #18
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Only in America...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #19
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I just saw this movie over the weekend. I totally went in thinking it was a purely action/driving movie due to what little promotional stuff I saw.

regardless, it was a great flick. I love this type of character that Ryan Gosling played: quiet, yet strong and doesn't mess around, gets shit DONE. my viewing buddy was understandably disappointed though.

Spoiler!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:00 AM   #20
I am Hook'd on RS

is it still being played in the theatre?
skyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #21
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

^
I noticed it was still playing at Silvercity Richmond on tue. not sure if it will still be there when Friday rolls around.