REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

paying with paypal

Hey guys well im trying to sell my moms accord and i got a offer from this guy saying he is willing to buy this car for his son, but he is going to have to use paypal because he is a "oceanographer" and there is a strict rule of no calls because there is no reception. Not very familiar with the paypal system any tips guys? is this guy trying to pull a slick one????

"Hi There,

Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that it's in good state and that i will not be disappointed with it.I'm ready to pay your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for my son, but the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract to go for which starts tomorrow and am leaving any moment from now.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will take care of very necessary paper for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon. will like to see more pics.

I need the address where the agent will meet you and your PayPal email address so i can send the money now.

Many Thanks "
Advertisement
jdzle69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
sounds like a scam
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
scamscamscamscam
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #4

thanks alot guys thats what i thought cause it sounds very fishy.... haha thanks again revscene! :P
Old 09-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
all i read was:

Quote:
paying with paypal
Hey guys well im trying to sell my moms accord and i got a offer from this guy saying he is willing to buy this car for his son,

i already know this is a scam LOL

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #6

hahaha yea thats what i thought do people actualy use paypal to pay 7500 for a car? LOL
Old 09-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Buyer pays shipping?
Posted via RS Mobile
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
this thread is new and interesting.

DO IT OP. SELL IT, don't listen to these other posters.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

In all honesty, this person seems a bit too shady, don't you think? Even if the person has no reception overseas, the person could have someone else repetitively contact the buyer; that would also develop more trust as well. However, I would not sell the car if I was in your position.
1. Who's gonna take care of shipping?
2. It's the internet.
see.lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

tell him that you agree to sell him the car but will ship it in pieces
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
I STILL don't get it

out of curiousity, how would a scam like this work through paypal?
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #12
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

They get the car, tell the credit card company they didn't authorize the purchase, and get their money back.
ziegs2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #13
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
This is not uncommon. Craigslist warns you that all Online transactions are a scam and there is no doubt in that. Craiggslist is meant for face to face meetup transactions. I received tons of these back when I used to post shit on craigs. One time I remember getting so fed up for being cockteased (opening up an email and finding out it's a scam) I sent an email back to the dude. Here's how it went.

" your email has been identified by the cyber police and you will be tracked down for every scam email you make. A bill will be sent to your paypal account and should you fail to pay this bill, your account and your e-life shall be suspended."

His reply: haha
Posted via RS Mobile
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

How it works (my inlaws almost fell for this until i stopped it)

The buyer will spoof an email from Paypal saying the money has been transferred to your account, but will not be released until you Western Union some sort of fee to another party (usually a shipping company). When you tell the buyer this, they will offer to send more money to cover it when the deal goes through. If you look close at the email from "paypal" you will see spelling and grammatical errors, as well as the reply doesn't go to paypal.com, it will go to pay-pal@something.com.

Also, clearly a scam. I'm pretty sure an oceanographer would know how to spell better than a grade 1 level. And, would you really buy a car, sight unseen, over the internet through emails? I can understand ebay with the buyer protection policy, but craigslist? Give your head a shake.
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
This is not uncommon. Craigslist warns you that all Online transactions are a scam and there is no doubt in that. Craiggslist is meant for face to face meetup transactions. I received tons of these back when I used to post shit on craigs. One time I remember getting so fed up for being cockteased (opening up an email and finding out it's a scam) I sent an email back to the dude. Here's how it went.

" your email has been identified by the cyber police and you will be tracked down for every scam email you make. A bill will be sent to your paypal account and should you fail to pay this bill, your account and your e-life shall be suspended."

His reply: haha
Posted via RS Mobile
I've done something like that once - but I usually just pretend to be ignorant and just lead them on... then say something like, "I forgot to mention, the car was used to film a gay gangbang, and there are still stains on the seats, is that ok?"

and usually, they'll just say stuff like, "it's ok, just send it right away!!"
Old 02-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #16
I bringith the lowerballerith

Just try and sell it locally instead of the suspicous "overseas" buyer
Old 02-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #17
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

do not even answer, otherwise you will get more spam in a nearest future
AlexT1 is offline   Reply With Quote