REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
...on a mission....

How many drivers do everything they get tested on when getting license?

When we talk about drivers being responsible, and/or driving with due care and attention....a few things come to mind. Hopefully this will show how we, as drivers, get lazy about the task we do or about to do, and that is driving.

1) How many pre-trip their vehicles before leaving the house? Things like making sure all the lights are working, especially the brake and signal lights. How many actually walk around your vehicle and check the tires, check for oil leaks...etc? Driving a mechanically malfunctioning vehicle can be as dangerous to the driver AND everyone else on the road! Could we guess at a percentage?

2) How many, when parked on a hill, turn the wheels into the curb as taught and tested when getting a license? As I drive the city streets I will see 10% (estimate) of the vehicles parked on a hill with their wheels turned to the curb!

3) How many drivers still do shoulder checks when turning or changing lanes? Or do we just use our mirrors or assume that it is clear....be honest!!!!

4) How many of us drive when we are tired or emotionally "unstable"? Ever driven when mad? Sure affects the driving...doesn't it?

My point is this. There are MANY things that we are taught (yes, even way back in the "old" days) that we get lazy about with our driving, or preparing to drive. It is not so much that we HAVEN'T been trained .... it's a case of being lazy about USING or DOING the concepts we've been trained at!

If we all drive the way I SHOULD drive....the roads would be much safer!!
Advertisement
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
...on a mission....

Sorry about the double post.....mods....can you delete the one that has no replies?
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
After a few close calls, I make sure I do number 3 everytime. And not just a slight movement, but a rather exaggerated one. Gotta do your shoulder checks.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I dont do number 1 but i do turn my wheels towards the curb and do shoulder check cause i just dont trust other drivers that much during rush hour
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I don't do number one, everything else I do.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

1.. Somewhat... With stretch tires I check for flats. I'm paranoid about that.
2. You kidding? I don't want to curb my wheels.
3. Totally...all the time now. Had a few calls where I didn't. Damn blind spots.
4. Guilty. When I'm mad i like to take detours and longer drives. Doesn't mean I go ape shit on other drivers
Posted via RS Mobile
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Even if I'm the only car on the road, it feels weird to make a lane change without shoulder checking. It's been ingrained into the lane change procedure for me.

1) side mirror
2) signal
3) shoulder check
4) change lane
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Need to Seek Professional Help

1) I just look at 4 tires to see if it's flat, habit with low profile tires.

2) I turn the wheels, don't touch curb though.

3) Shoulder check always.

4) When you gotta take a shit, you tend to drive faster to a washroom.
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Anybody who doesn't shoulder check is pretty retarded, easy and simple, I've seen to many close calls cause people don't do it. As for the pre-trip.. I've had a couple flats so I acutally check sometimes, as for lights, I can usually see the reflection through my grg doors / walls

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
number 1 is pretty pointless and is a big waste of time IMO
all other things I do.

Seriously, who the hell actually does every damn pre-trip check. I'd do it if I was bored or something, but if I needed to go somewhere, I'm jumping in my car, if it starts i'm good to go!
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simnut View Post
1) How many pre-trip their vehicles before leaving the house? Things like making sure all the lights are working, especially the brake and signal lights. How many actually walk around your vehicle and check the tires, check for oil leaks...etc? Driving a mechanically malfunctioning vehicle can be as dangerous to the driver AND everyone else on the road! Could we guess at a percentage?
I walk around my vehicle, look at the tires and check to see if my license plate is still there, also about once a month or so i check to see if my signal lights and brake lights are functioning properly

2) How many, when parked on a hill, turn the wheels into the curb as taught and tested when getting a license? As I drive the city streets I will see 10% (estimate) of the vehicles parked on a hill with their wheels turned to the curb!
I put the parking brake on but do not turn my wheels unless it is a huge hill

3) How many drivers still do shoulder checks when turning or changing lanes? Or do we just use our mirrors or assume that it is clear....be honest!!!!
I shoulder check everytime i change lanes and most of the time when turning I know if there is a person on the sidewalk or not as I approach the intersection, if there is a pedestrian standing there i make sure to shoulder check then turn, right or left.
4) How many of us drive when we are tired or emotionally "unstable"? Ever driven when mad? Sure affects the driving...doesn't it?
Rarely get mad before driving but have driven when im tired
Old 09-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s300ae View Post
2. You kidding? I don't want to curb my wheels.
If you turn them to lock only the tire hits the curb. I have 30 profile tires on 19" rims and mine are fine.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
1. No. My car has sensors for just about everything. It will tell me if any of the fluids are too low or if any of the bulbs are burnt out. It'll even attempt to use a nearby bulb to replicate the functionality for a burnt out bulb (ie using the rear turn signal as a brake light).

2. Always. My parking brake barely passed VI and I don't trust it.

3. Never. I have blind spot mirrors stuck to my side mirrors. In fact I hardly use my side mirrors, I normally just use the blind spot mirrors.

I wish we had european style mirrors, where the outer portion of the mirror is convex and acts as the blind spot mirror.

4. I hate driving tired, when I have done it I load up on coffee, stopping every hour or so, and drive with the windows open as cold air helps me stay awake.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #15
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
1. if im going 4x4'ing, yes, ill check over my vehicle make sure its capable of going and not leaking or anything broken.

2. i always park with my wheels into the curb...can never trust shitty ebrakes on old trucks.

3. i always shoulder check and signal even if its just me on the road.

4. im tired and mad every morning when i have drive to work, the drive wakes me up...and im only mad cause i have to go to work.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #16
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
1. I pre trip inspect fairly often, at least once a day. Checking suspension and tires and shit as I drive a 4x4 and go wheeling and before that a fast turbo import so shit happens and bolts come loose. I actually check to make sure everything is ok. I drive my 1 year old daughter around so gotta make sure shit's safe!

2. There are no hills in Smithers BUT when I am in places where it's necessary I do angle my wheels the proper direction (both up hill AND downhill)

3. If you don't shoulder check your an idiot. Period. Blind spot mirrors or not all it takes is one second of looking in the wrong place and a car could have changed lanes and be beside you and you won't know it.

4. I've often driven when very tired and often thought when I got home.. Fuck I don't even remember the drive home. That's my biggest "bad habit" is driving when tired but I've put a LOT of km's under my belt in the past year driving from Chilliwack to Vancouver everyday for 3 months while my daughter was in the intensive care unit and also from Van to Smithers and back several times. I've gotten better at pulling over and having a nap though rather than being unsafe. Actually fell asleep one time and that was enough to "wake me up" so to speak.

Berz out.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #17
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
I'm on bike.

Aside from the hill thing, to not do the things on that list is risking death.
Period.
I'd like to keep the use of my legs thank you very much.

Also, for you guys that don't shoulder check, please do.
Think of the amount of fails you'll get when it turns out one of you swiped me into the path of an oncoming truck but not shoulder checking.

I get into about 1-2 close calls a week because I'm on 2 wheels.
Pretty good odds that in my 2 years of being on the road, one of those incidents was somebody from RS.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #18
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Think of the amount of fails you'll get when it turns out one of you swiped me into the path of an oncoming truck but not shoulder checking.

Pretty good odds that in my 2 years of being on the road, one of those incidents was somebody from RS.
Time to stop riding in other people's blind spots, I think.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:07 AM   #19
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
1. No. But when I have time to kill I check over things

2. Yes

3. Guilty of not doing it all the time

4. Guilty as well. Have to stop doing it (driving while tired/sleepy) though - got into a really close call about a week ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #20
I subscribe to Revscene

Answers in bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simnut View Post
When we talk about drivers being responsible, and/or driving with due care and attention....a few things come to mind. Hopefully this will show how we, as drivers, get lazy about the task we do or about to do, and that is driving.

I check it all once per week, check my rear lights as often as I can since I back-in when parking and it makes it easy to cycle through the lights and look in the mirror to make sure they're working

Yep

Always when turning, almost always when making lane changes. Depending on how busy the traffic is, it's pretty easy to monitor cars behind and to the side with regular mirror checks. If there's been any change, I'll certainly do a shoulder check.

If I'm "motionally unstable", I find going for a drive is a good way to clear my mind. I'll even drive like I'm giving a "running commentary" to a driving examiner to really take my mind off whatever has made me emotionally "unstable".

Keeping out of blind spots, keeping your own blind spot clear, don't stare at the back of the vehicle in front of you (look through it to improve reaction times), look under and around parked vehicles (improves reaction time to pets and children running out from behind parked cars), expand your field of vision wider than the telephone poles at the side of the road, observe for "secondary hazards" (oncoming cyclist causing cars to cross the center line, etc...)

Old 10-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #21
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
1. No. My car has sensors for just about everything. It will tell me if any of the fluids are too low or if any of the bulbs are burnt out. It'll even attempt to use a nearby bulb to replicate the functionality for a burnt out bulb (ie using the rear turn signal as a brake light).
This is pretty awesome, every enw car should have these (maybe they do? not sure). I have a burnt out taillight bulb but that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
I'm on bike.

Aside from the hill thing, to not do the things on that list is risking death.
Period.
I'd like to keep the use of my legs thank you very much.

It sounds like you need to work on your riding if you're nearly getting hit that often...
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #22
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
in the last 5 months i've only had 2 close calls while riding (knock on wood), one in a parking lot, someone backing out without looking, i saw them and moved out of their path, the other, some lady came half way into my lane, i was ahead of her, her front fender was by my rear tire.

as for the OP, in my car i didn't really do a pre-trip check so much ans just walk around to check tires/plate, and if there was any dmg.

on hills i not only angle my wheels, but i put it in gear as well.

i always shoulder check...hell...i shoulder check when i am walking... lol.

i am however guilty of driving when tired.. more than i should..

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #23
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
i always shoulder check...hell...i shoulder check when i am walking... lol.
HA! I do that too.

And since my legs are on the longer side, I walk pretty quickly too, faster than most people. But with the proper precautions (shoulder checking, stopping to look left, center, right, etc..) I can walk around the grocery store and get my shopping done pretty quickly without walking into people.

Defensive shopping I call it.