REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 12-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #26
Thanked 1,436 Times in 566 Posts
a sous vide rig will maintain that specific temperature for as long as you want.

a slow cooker will turn off or keep warm after the meat hits the right temp. it wont maintain that desired temperature.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #27
Even when im right, is still right!
I found one in canada that makes them. They made their first unit in dec 2007. The company is in toronto. They go for 169.50 plus shipping. sous vide controller

group buy lol?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #28
sneaky beaky like
Thanked 3,651 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
The way i see is you use the probe in the water and once it's reached the defined "sous vide" temp you throw the vacuum sealed package in there to cook for exactly the same amount of time as a sous vide machine. Putting the probe into the vacuum sealed meat product would ruin the whole vacuum sealing purpose so obviously I dont plan on using it that way. Once the water goes below set temp it turns on again to keep it at set temp.
Please explain to me ANY difference in doing it this way than spending 5x as much on a sous vide machine.
best example i can think of is like a 63 deg egg yolk

if you set your crockpot at 63 degrees, the machine will have it go up to 63 deg, then "turn off" because it has reached temp, and when it "turns off" the temp will go down before it turns on again to reach up to 63

in the sv machine , it consistently circulates water and makes sure its at 63 deg at ALL times
'16 brz wrb zc6
Old 02-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #29
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
Just ordered this one...
SousVide Supreme: Sous Vide Cooking, Sous-vide appliance for home, restaurants - SousVide Supreme
Old 02-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #30
I want to be a person and not an icon.
Thanked 5,273 Times in 890 Posts
I have this set

Sous Vide Supreme Promotion, Special Offer: Sous Vide Cooking, Sous-vide appliance for home, restaurants - SousVide Supreme

Great for the Sous Vide Duck Breast Recipe1
Old 04-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #31
Thanked 12,085 Times in 3,335 Posts
Buddy of mine just finished hacking an old crock pot to work for sous vide. Says it works great and was dead simple to do.

Hack a Crock Pot into a Sous Vide Cooker - How-To Geek
Hack a Crock Pot into a Sous Vide Cooker - How-To Geek
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"