REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 09-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Reel lawnmower

Just wondering if anyone has a reel lawnmower and if so, what are your general impressions of it? My cordless lawnmower battery has died, and it costs $100 to replace the battery so I might as well get a new lawnmower. I don't like gas lawnmower, so I'm either getting a corded electric mower or a reel mower. My lot is small (5000 sqft lot, only about 1500sqft of grass).
Advertisement
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
Founder, RS Veteran

I've got a reel mower just sitting in the garage, but unfortunately I don't use it. You'd probably get a really good workout. I see a neighbour trim his grass often and it looks super.

I came from mowing my parents' lawn with this

to this

My parents' self-propelling one was awesome to use coz there's wasn't much effort involved. The engine would roar and it felt like a mustang of lawn mowers. The current one I have is less "beefy", but it does the job. After work when you're tired, it's a pain to do a chore. But you know if you've got a small lawn and if you need to get some exercise, the latter is a nice in-between.

It's too bad you're set on electric. You should give gas powered ones a try.

Bored? Follow jACE on Twitter or check out his homepage.
jACEDesignsLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
I am Hook'd on RS

I have a gardena reel motor. Its pretty awesome.
Here are some things to take into account:
-reel mowers require you to mow the grass much more often. every 3-4 days instead of 7+ days of regular mower. this is because a reel mower does not work well with long grass.
-the finished job looks different with a reel mower. its much more straight and uniform as it cuts the tops of grass off rather than using a spinning blade like a gas/electric mower. (this is why golf courses look so manicured)
-forget about cutting your lawn if your grass is moist or damp. it will be a bitch.
-also you would think a reel mower would be cheaper since it has no motor right? a good reel mower will cost you 200+

if you do go the reel mower route, i highly highly recommend getting a good one. You can find some for 50-70$. those ones are crap and you will notice a difference when mowing the lawn in terms of effort needed to push the damn thing.

my gardena literally almost pushes itself.
highres604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Founder, RS Veteran

^ah so that's probably why that neighbour's lawn looks like a golf course

Bored? Follow jACE on Twitter or check out his homepage.
jACEDesignsLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Don't buy a cheap one for sure, I have some cheapo Canadian tire one and it's a POS. It does a terrible job and if your lawn isn't totally level you're totally screwed. I was getting so pissed off with my lawn in the back I dug it up, covered 1/3 of it with 24"x24" slabs and the rest with gravel. In the front I ripped out the lawn in front of my house and replaced it with stone, a garden a large rock. The only lawn I have now is the cities portion between the sidewalk and the street but my neighbour cuts that for me, so nice not having to cut the lawn anymore.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Thanks for all the tips guys. I ended up buying a corded electric one, I only have time to mow the lawn every 2 weeks or so, I don't think a reel mower would have worked for me. Will be interesting to see how a good a job it does. My previous cordless electric mower had a reel-type cutting blade. Seems all the new electric ones only have the spinning blade now...
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

Can someone recommend a specific brand of Reel mowers to buy? and where to buy? My lawn is only about 500 sqft.