REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Rented Corvette and ‘Ring Taxi crash at Nürburgring, cause $130,000 in damage

Rented Corvette and ‘Ring Taxi crash at Nürburgring, cause $130,000 in damage

An eight-car crash on the Nürburgring Nordschleife earlier today sent one driver to the hospital with serious injuries, claimed a rented Corvette Z06 and put one of the new BMW M3 "ring taxis" out of commission. It also caused more than $130,000 in property damage.

According to police, the accident occurred at around 2:00 pm local time on the circuit's tricky Bergwerk ("mine") section as three cars were slowing for a construction zone. A fourth driver, from the UK, stood on the brakes but couldn't prevent a collision with one of the vehicles ahead. He subsequently slid onto the grass and then back onto the track some fifty meters (164ft) ahead. It was there where he crashed into the other two vehicles.

Three other drivers saw the crash and slowed their cars. An eighth car, the ring taxi, crashed into one of the slowing cars, hit another car and came to a stop at the left of the track.

Police say the drivers were from several European countries. A sticker on the Corvette, apparently listing Swedish luxury rental agency Platinum Cars, suggests its rental status. The accident occurred near the site of Niki Lauda's fiery crash during the 1976 German Grand Prix.

One driver was taken to a hospital in Koblenz with serious injuries. Two other drivers were treated on the scene. All of the cars except one were substantially damaged and were not drivable. Police are still investigating, but cite "excessive speed" as the cause.

Rented Corvette and 'Ring Taxi crash at Nürburgring, cause $130,000 in damage

Advertisement
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 249 Posts
E90 M3, E36 M3, C6 Z06, 993...
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Ouch, I would imagine the Vette driver will be dealing with a huge bill because I highly doubt the rental agreement would allow the car to be driven on a race track.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
I am on the internets

noooo e36!!!!!
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
Ouch, I would imagine the Vette driver will be dealing with a huge bill because I highly doubt the rental agreement would allow the car to be driven on a race track.
thought you could rent cars for the purpose of driving it on the race track
korroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by korroke View Post
thought you could rent cars for the purpose of driving it on the race track
I think he meant he rented it from a high end rental agency for driving purposes, and not from a race rental place for racing purposes
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
yeah, normally rental cars are not insured for track purposes.
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
I dont think the management of the track would even let the guy renting the car onto the track.

Unless the management is that chill and lets anyone with a car in....
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
nah, they let anyone in, it's not their business. i know someone who got in the track with a rental GTI a couple years ago. and at the rental place he agreed he wouldn't take the car to track. it's risky.
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Yup, they'll let anyone race as long as you have valid plates/general insurance.

And a lot of people waive the rental insurance from the rental place think their credit cards will cover damages that rental places don't cover, good luck with that because no insurance will cover risky behavior like racing unless of course you rent it from a place that rents cars for racing but I would imagine the extra insurance would cost quite a bit.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #11
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
One driver was taken to a hospital in Koblenz with serious injuries. Two other drivers were treated on the scene. All of the cars except one were substantially damaged and were not drivable. Police are still investigating, but cite "excessive speed" as the cause.
no shit
Old 10-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #12
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Technically, I believe the Nurburgring is part of the highway and not a track. It's part of the autobahn with no speed limits, so I think it could be insured.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:45 AM   #13
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
dont you have to buy track insurance from the track ? to cover damages to the track
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:37 AM   #14
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Technically, I believe the Nurburgring is part of the highway and not a track. It's part of the autobahn with no speed limits, so I think it could be insured.
It's not a part of the autobahn, I lived there 5 years. It's straight up race track
Posted via RS Mobile
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:56 AM   #15
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Wikipedia confirms it is a public toll road unless closed off for racing events:

The Nordschleife has remained a one-way, public toll-road for nearly 80 years except when it is closed off for testing purposes, training lessons, or racing events. Since its opening in 1927 the track has been used by the public for the so-called "Touristenfahrten," i.e. to anyone with a road legal car or motorcycle, as well as tour buses, motor homes, or cars with trailers. It is opened mainly on Sundays, but also many Saturdays and weekday evenings. The track may be closed for weeks during the winter months depending on weather conditions and maintenance work.

Nordschleife is often open to the public. Three Caterhams seen here entering Brünnchen, a favourite spectator vantage point.

Porsche GT3 RS approaching Adenauer Forst, a blind chicane on the Nordschleife that catches-out many of the unwary.

Crashed BMW M coupé on the recovery truck
German road law applies during Touristenfahrten sessions. There is no general speed limit although speed limits exist in certain areas in order to reduce noise and risks. Passing on the right is prohibited and the police prosecute poor driving with the aid of helicopters.
The cost of driving a single lap of the Nordschleife is €24 for each car or motorcycle. Multi-lap tickets can be purchased for a lower per-lap price, such as 4 laps at a cost of €89 (€22.25 per lap). Additional multi-lap prices are 15 laps for €310, or 25 laps for €470. An annual ticket (called a Jahreskarte) with unlimited laps, valid from January 1st to December 31st, can be purchased for €1350. Twenty minutes' driving the Nurburgring Grand Prix Circuit is €38. All prices are current for the 2011 calendar year and include VAT. All laps apart from Jahreskarte are added to the new local payment system "ring°card" which works on the same principle as an Oyster travel card. This ring card stores your laps and will also be used instead of cash in a lot of the local Nürburgring GmbH-owned shops, restaurants, bars, and nightclubs. With the exception of one lap tickets, every lap ticket bought has credit for food and drinks at the Eifeldorf Grüne Hölle village and free entry to the ring°werk museum.
This Nürburgring version is a popular attraction for many driving and riding enthusiasts from all over the world, partly because of its history and the challenge it provides. The lack of oncoming traffic and intersections sets it apart from regular roads, and the absence of a blanket speed limit makes it an additional attraction.
Normal ticket buyers on these tourist days cannot quite complete a full lap of the 20.8 km (13 mile) Nordschleife, which bypasses the modern GP-Strecke, as they are required to slow down and pass through a 200-metre (220 yd) "pit lane" section where the toll gates are installed. There is also on busier days a mobile ticket barrier installed on the main straight in order to reduce the length of queues at the fixed barriers. This is open to all ticket holders. On rare occasions it is possible to drive both the Nordschleife and the Grand Prix circuit combined.
Drivers interested in lap times often time themselves from the first bridge after the barriers to the last gantry before the exit.[citation needed] In the event of an accident the local police are known to make note of any timing devices present (stopwatches, etc.) in the police report.[citation needed] The driver's insurance coverage may consequently be voided, leaving the driver fully liable for damage. Normal, non-racing, non-timed driving accidents should be covered by driver's insurance,[7] but it is increasingly common for UK insurers especially to put in exclusion clauses that mean drivers and riders have third-party cover only[citation needed] or none at all.[8]
The 'Ring has caught many people out as there is very little run-off and the Armco barrier will be hit at almost any speed should a vehicle leave the tarmac. The Teffers straight between Adenauer Forst and Metzgesfeld is known for its high number of expensive accidents.
Drivers who do crash have a responsibility of warning following vehicles that there has been an incident. If an accident occurs typical passer-by procedure is to stop only if needed. (Needs include stopping to render first aid or to warn incoming traffic.) Follow up accidents are frequent and, the less chaos at a scene, the less chance for another "follow-up" accident to occur. The 'Ring, although for all intents and purposes a race track when used for racing, still remains a public road when opened to the public and is policed as such. Anyone caught or reported as driving dangerously can be fined or banned by the authorities. The costs can also be prohibitive with vehicle recovery, track closure penalties, and Armco repairs costing up to €15,000 out-of-pocket.[citation needed]
[edit]
Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #16
I don't get it

Well it might be considered highway as there is no speed limit but it's
A track. U can't just drive on it unless u report and all that. And as far as I know u don't need reporting on highways :P
Posted via RS Mobile
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-03-2011, 07:25 AM   #17
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
In the event of an accident the local police are known to make note of any timing devices present (stopwatches, etc.) in the police report. The driver's insurance coverage may consequently be voided, leaving the driver fully liable for damage. Normal, non-racing, non-timed driving accidents should be covered by driver's insurance,[7] but it is increasingly common for UK insurers especially to put in exclusion clauses that mean drivers and riders have third-party cover only[citation needed] or none at all.[8]

Nürburgring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #18
Old School RS

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Wikipedia confirms it is a public toll road unless closed off for racing events:

Spoiler!
While you are right that it is technically a public road and nobody working the gate cares if your car is a rental, every major rental car company has a specific clause prohibiting driving their rental cars on the Ring. It's not to say it doesnt happen but there are stiff penalties to be paid should the company find out; there have even been reports of rental car companies having "spies" there.

Mark
Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #19
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline129 View Post
Well it might be considered highway as there is no speed limit but it's
A track. U can't just drive on it unless u report and all that. And as far as I know u don't need reporting on highways :P
Posted via RS Mobile
What the hell are you talking about when you say "reporting" ??

All that is required to drive on it is to buy a pass from the booth.

The Ring is a public toll road, one way, with some sections that have speed limits.

Like any other public road, you must have insurance to drive on it. Therefore, all out non-street legal cars are not allowed on the Ring. (Except when the Ring is closed off to the public for a proper racing event.)

Now, while the Ring is technically a public toll road, it IS sometimes closed for racing and it is essentially a race track. Most insurance agencies and rental agencies have a section that actually specifically says that your insurance is void if you are on a race track, whether or are racing or not. Because the Ring is technically a public toll road, some insurance agencies even go as far as to specifically prohibit driving on the Ring, so you cannot use the excuse "it's a public road"

Last time I drove on it was 2005/2006. I don't think anything has changed since then.

Last edited by Rich Sandor; 10-03-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote