REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

5 down, 8 to go.

I don't know if this will get yanked or if I will get pts but I wanted to post this 'cuz it made the start of my day today GREAT!

Five vehicles identified to be forfeited to B.C. government by street racing teens — Autoblog Canada

^Eat it, suckas!
Advertisement
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Why would you get points?
and this was posted in the original thread already. It doesn't say the cars were taken away... it says they have selected the ones to pursue and they hope to see then up for auction blah blah blah, nothing has really changed.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #3

AHHH. Didn't see that one. I just saw this on Autoblog this morning. =p

I like your avatar btw =D
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Disappointing.

The fact of the matter is, the government & RCMP is attempting to claim forfeiture of these cars purely as PR stunt, and whether or not pursuing this case is a wise or just move, seems to be a moot point.

Don't get me wrong, I would sincerely like to see the twerps get punished for this kind of reckless behavior, but the only evidence as to the action of street racing, come from untrained and certainly loosely credible eyewitnesses.

The fact of the matter is, is that due process is being circumvented here and it shows the glaring holes in the civil forfeiture act. Individuals who COULD NOT even be "criminally" charged for their actions, could face enormous financial repercussions simply for actions reported by others.

This is the kind of justice system that existed in medieval times, when you reported your neighbour as a witch and they were burned at the stake, purely based on hearsay.

At the end of the day, it really is lose/lose. Either the kids hire a half decent lawyer and poke holes in the prosecution, wasting our tax dollars in the process (though I think it may be fair to argue that Crown has an obligation to pursue cases in the public interest) or it is ruled that we as citizens fall under the burden of a law that can take away anything from us, at any time, based purely on the words of a neighbour.
Bainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainne View Post
Don't get me wrong, I would sincerely like to see the twerps get punished for this kind of reckless behavior, but the only evidence as to the action of street racing, come from untrained and certainly loosely credible eyewitnesses.
And you know this because you know who all the witnesses are and have interviewed them yourself, correct?

Quote:
The fact of the matter is, is that due process is being circumvented here and it shows the glaring holes in the civil forfeiture act. Individuals who COULD NOT even be "criminally" charged for their actions, could face enormous financial repercussions simply for actions reported by others.
That's a bit of a stretch, given that no decision has actually been made by the appropriate office yet, don't you think? When or IF the CFA is actually applied, then it might be appropriate to point to "glaring holes"...

Quote:
This is the kind of justice system that existed in medieval times, when you reported your neighbour as a witch and they were burned at the stake, purely based on hearsay.
Eyewitness testimony from multiple eyewitnesses != hearsay...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
OP, we get it you are jealous.

but taking someone's property on no solid proof is complete bullshit.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
And you know this because you know who all the witnesses are and have interviewed them yourself, correct?

That's a bit of a stretch, given that no decision has actually been made by the appropriate office yet, don't you think? When or IF the CFA is actually applied, then it might be appropriate to point to "glaring holes"...
The CFA exists, in part, to punish those not punishable criminally.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post

lol not that they denied it.

And man....u're pretty deluded.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #9
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
hmmm that white sls might belongs to someone a few houses down from me, haven't seen that sls around too!
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Yawn, another Drama Queen.

Quote:
Confirmed, another Drama Queen.

The are going after the kids with previous bad records, records that include street racing. Thus they are NOT going after individuals based JUST on actions reported by others.

Repeat offenders deserve to have the book thrown at them as they haven't learned.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Disappointing.

At the end of the day, it really is lose/lose. Either the kids hire a half decent lawyer and poke holes in the prosecution, wasting our tax dollars in the process (though I think it may be fair to argue that Crown has an obligation to pursue cases in the public interest) or it is ruled that we as citizens fall under the burden of a law that can take away anything from us, at any time, based purely on the words of a neighbour.
If someone ran over a baby speeding through an intersection with withnesses around, I believe you would still be able to charge someone criminally.

You are correct, if you do get a lawyer, you might be able to get off. BUT, the police doesn't have to do anything. All they have to do is have the driver ADMIT he was speeding and street racing, then it's all good.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #12

^ didn't they do that, more or less? I was told, so I actually don't know if that happened.

You know. That's how hearsay goes. Since the source didn't see it either.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I don't understand why is it so friggin hard to prove have they been speeding or not.

Don't cars have data recorders on them? Couldn't they just pull the data off the cars to see what speed they went up to?? Even aToyota Camry has one, don't tell me that a Audi R8 or a Mercedes SLS won't have one.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
I subscribe to Revscene

Data recorders on cars typically only record the last 15 or so seconds of information prior to a crash. So no, they can't pull the info from the data recorder.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post

i highly doubt anyones jealous.

i honestly think that the punishment they're getting isnt enough... suspended licenses and cars taken away....they shouldnt be allowed to ever drive again.

just because their parents have money and can always bail them out doesnt give them the right to fuck around and speed like retards...they're just going to do it again eventually. the only thing they'll learn from this is to not speed during rush hour traffic or where they can easily be caught. once they get their licenses back, i gurantee you they'll be driving like retards again.

teach them a lesson and set an example for others at the same time...dont let them operate a motor vehicle in canada again.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I can't say I agree with them seizing cars like this. Last time I checked, the kids weren't using these cars to sell drugs. A license suspension and a ticket (which won't happen because there were no cop witnesses) would be more appropriate imho. Yeah the kids are definitely idiots, but the government is showing a severe lack of due process.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #17
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
I can't say I agree with them seizing cars like this. Last time I checked, the kids weren't using these cars to sell drugs. A license suspension and a ticket (which won't happen because there were no cop witnesses) would be more appropriate imho. Yeah the kids are definitely idiots, but the government is showing a severe lack of due process.
  • The cars were not the proceeds of a crime (the original intent of the CFA)
  • The cars were not implements of a crime for which a conviction was obtained
  • You can "street race" a Yugo or you can "street race" an R8. If the penalty in each case is seizure, it results in a virtually unlimited penalties. I'd love to see the SCC rule in favor of unlimited, arbitrary penalties for crimes for which a conviction hasn't or cannot be obtained.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #18

Quote:
You, need to update your information.

most of these drivers are kids. under 21.

none except ONE has full class 5. all other either N's or Int'l DL.

ALL have previous records. Some CURRENTLY serving suspensions.

MOST have prior street RACING records.

1 guy ACTUALLY said to have the car towed to his house after the 1 week impound so his "time won't get wasted"

Police said the general attitude of ALL Drivers at the scene was one of disrespect, showing complete understanding of the gravity of the situation, and behaved like it was just a game.

So do they deserve it? Hell yes. I'm EMBARASSED to be Chinese after seeing this display of absolute disregard and DISRESPECT to others.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
The government is showing due process doesn't work as the system is broken and beyond fixing. So they are circumventing the broken system to make a point, and a very valid point judging by the completely lack of respect paid to the law.

The law needs more bite, I am all for it.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
lambos mine
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #21
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
The government is showing due process doesn't work as the system is broken and beyond fixing. So they are circumventing the broken system to make a point, and a very valid point judging by the completely lack of respect paid to the law.

The law needs more bite, I am all for it.
I'm sure the courts are all for the bypassing of due process

Old 10-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #22
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Crazy sheeet
G35_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #23
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Let's face facts here, this would be a non issue if they were racing some shit bucket corollas instead of high-end cars.

I cannot tell you how much i dislike broad laws like this that can be used for whatever purpose people at the time deem appropriate.

The law was written and intended to fight organized crime to remove the tools and avails of gangsters that really couldn't be dealt with in the courts. Why? People that turn on them end up dead.

Now suddenly you can have your car taken for something like this.

It`s not being melo-dramatic-its being cautious, which I think we all should be when new laws are introduced with minimal debate.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #24
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Let's face facts here, this would be a non issue if they were racing some shit bucket corollas instead of high-end cars.
Absolutely not true.

California has crushed modified Hondas.

When the Ontario street racing law (aka the 50kmph+ law) was enacted people were calling for cars to be crushed instead, including the OPP chief at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Now suddenly you can have your car taken for something like this.

It`s not being melo-dramatic-its being cautious, which I think we all should be when new laws are introduced with minimal debate.
Absolutely not true. if it were they would be going after all 13 cars, not singling out the worst offenders.

It is being melodramatic, unless of course you're a street racer and this impacts you, which you are not, so you're being a drama queen.

Before you cry that I'm picking on you, I've used specific examples to highlight my point, while your point is just opinion. Perhaps try to back up your points with examples, facts, ... something so they have some merit and you won't feel picked on.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #25
I subscribe to Revscene

I'm waiting for the day someone driving an R8 gets passed by an R8 "street racer", and the first driver gets mistaken for the racing driver and has his car seized.