REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   How to cook a prime rib? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/655389-how-cook-prime-rib.html)

skiiipi 10-12-2011 11:20 PM

How to cook a prime rib?

Hey guys,

I'm hosting a small dinner party for some friends on this coming Saturday and am planning on serving prime rib.

I'm debating between two cooking method right now, and was hoping that one of the expert chefs on RS can give some advice.

The prime rib that I reserved at my local butcher shop (Seafair Gourmet Meat) is a 6lb bone in prime rib.

The two method i'm debating between is a method known as "Method-X" or the "traditional Method".

Method-X
Is basically a method where you leave the prime rib out until it reachs room temperature (~6hours), and season it with seasoning of your choice, then pre heat your oven to 500 degrees, and cook the prime rib for (weight in lbs multiply by 5) min, then turn off the oven, and let the residual heat cook the meat for 2 hours (without opening the oven door), and this "should" yeild a perfectly cooked medium rare prime rib.

Pros to this method is obviously how "easy" it is, but i'm not sure how many revscener has tried this method and if it works or not. There does seem to be many "positive" testimony with this method.

The traditional method:
Sear the meat in the oven at 450-500degree for 15min, then cook at 250 degrees until internal temperature reachs 120degrees, and let the meat rest for 20min before carving for a medium rare.

I do have an instant read thermomether so thats not an issue. But it seems like there is more room for error with this method due to sometimes the residual heat can "overcook" the meat.

however the traditional method is what most foodnetwork recipe reccomends so i'm not sure if this way is "better".

any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

dyan 10-12-2011 11:36 PM

Personally I've tried both methods and I think the traditional method would work better. If you're scared of error, check the meat in 5 minute intervals. This method also cooks faster.

With that in mind, Method X requires a lot more attention especially near the end because it all depends on the heat inside the oven. It is much more time consuming because it might not cook to how you would like it through residual heat, therefore requiring you to turn on the oven again.

cho 10-12-2011 11:38 PM

trad way x 10

something about leaving it out for 6 hours till room temp makes me weary

i did a small catering for work, about a 10 pound prime rib, 275F for about 2 hours, took it out when it was sitting at about 120F internal temp, tasty tasty

Vale46Rossi 10-13-2011 12:56 AM

I personally LOVE method X

I got so used to doing it and it's perfect everytime.

unit 10-13-2011 09:43 AM

ive never tried method x but i think in terms of consistency, its hard to beat the traditional method since it leaves less guesswork

Great68 10-13-2011 10:04 AM

Method Y?:

Perfect Prime Rib | Serious Eats : Recipes

I want to try this with my next prime rib to see how it turns out.

Phil@rise 10-13-2011 10:07 AM

I just did one half that size seasoned with just salt and pepper and glazed with a butter dark rum reduction on the BBQ it took about 20 minutes cooked to medium on a 600 degree open grill. It was the best chunk of beef I ever ate and my dinner date was more then impressed. Use real butter and do not use a cheapo gross rum tho if you decide you are brave enough to try this method with an expensive cut of awesomeness. I would have preferred rare but not the date so if you want rare then flip it once.

Culverin 10-13-2011 01:06 PM

Method Y?
I did something similar, but I rushed mine a little. It wasn't perfect, but it was a lot better than what I have had at some restaurants.

When you say prime rib, I'm assuming you didn't actually get prime grade.
What did you end up getting and how much was it (cost/pound)?

tiger_handheld 10-13-2011 03:15 PM

make sure your smoke alarm works and your balcony door is closed. don't want the cops to show up at 4 am and disrespect you and your friends because of noise :troll:

skiiipi 10-13-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 7612740)
Method Y?
I did something similar, but I rushed mine a little. It wasn't perfect, but it was a lot better than what I have had at some restaurants.

When you say prime rib, I'm assuming you didn't actually get prime grade.
What did you end up getting and how much was it (cost/pound)?

I specifically ordered "prime grade" prime rib from seafair gourmet meat, so I hope I do get prime grade. I actually didn't inquire about cost, but I'm budgeting around $100 for a roast. So hopefully its not too much more than that.
Posted via RS Mobile

unit 10-13-2011 04:19 PM

i found that prime grade rib roasts are around 20-25/lb

skiiipi 10-13-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 7612979)
i found that prime grade rib roasts are around 20-25/lb

So that will put the price at around $150 for a 6lb roast....not too bad I guess, hope I don't screw up cooking it.
Posted via RS Mobile

scottsman 10-13-2011 08:02 PM

Taking it out at 120 to rest will over cook if you want Medium Rare.

Cook the method you are comfortable with.

Also a big fan of a good salt, garlic, herb rub.

Culverin 10-13-2011 08:29 PM

Does anybody here also rub on butter?
Posted via RS Mobile

skiiipi 10-13-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottsman (Post 7613384)
Taking it out at 120 to rest will over cook if you want Medium Rare.

Cook the method you are comfortable with.

Also a big fan of a good salt, garlic, herb rub.

This is my first time cooking a prime rib so I'm not comfortable with neither method.

"Method x" sounds easier, but not sure if my oven will retain enough residual heat.
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 10-13-2011 08:40 PM

I tried both methods and like yourself, it was my first time cooking it. If you think your oven will not retain enough residual heat, go with the traditional method. I had to do that the 2nd time around and it was so much better. The key is to prevent as much heat loss as possible so don't open up the oven whenever you don't need to.

DaFonz 10-13-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 7612506)
Method Y?:

Perfect Prime Rib | Serious Eats : Recipes

I want to try this with my next prime rib to see how it turns out.

To OP, do it this way. It's by far the most forgiving way to do it and imo yields the best results.

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20...st-perfect.jpg

Both of the methods you listed will result in a cooked gradient that will result in something that looks like this.

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20...ges%20copy.jpg

Everyone else: Read the article. This way is better.

skiiipi 10-13-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7613458)
I tried both methods and like yourself, it was my first time cooking it. If you think your oven will not retain enough residual heat, go with the traditional method. I had to do that the 2nd time around and it was so much better. The key is to prevent as much heat loss as possible so don't open up the oven whenever you don't need to.

I live in a fairly new apartment with a pretty good/new oven, but no idea how well it retains heat.

might give the "serious eats" method a try.

skiiipi 10-13-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFonz (Post 7613544)
To OP, do it this way. It's by far the most forgiving way to do it and imo yields the best results.

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20...st-perfect.jpg

Both of the methods you listed will result in a cooked gradient that will result in something that looks like this.

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20...ges%20copy.jpg

Thanks, i am a little worried about this method be cause i read the comments in the bottom of that method and one person said this

Quote:

Help!
So I have people arriving in 1 hour and I've had my 12 pound roast in my 170 degree (lowest setting) oven for 6 hours. I followed the recipe exactly as it was written. I just checked it, and it is completely rare. Not even an edible rare, I'm talking bloody, fresh from the butcher rare. I am totally devastated. 1. Any ideas on how to remedy this? Should I just switch to 325 and tell the guests they have to wait another 3.5 hours? and 2. Even if I do that, is it safe to eat that meat? Any input would be appreciated!! This was expensive and my first prime rib!
not i do not own an oven thermometer, only a meat (probe style) thermometer.
but like i stated in my post above, I have a relatively new oven, and it should be of a "nicer quality" its a Fridgidare stainless steel one that came with the apartment. so I hope my oven can hold an accurate temperature.

scottsman 10-13-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Everyone has different methods for cooking food. No one way is better as each chef/cook will have a method they think works best.

My issue with method X would be that if the time is incorrect then you are shit out of luck because you have just let your roast sit in an oven for however many hours while the heat gradually drops. If you under cook it then at least you can turn the oven back on to finish it off however it would then defeat the purpose of that method. On the other hand if you keep opening the oven to check if it is done then you will lose heat each time. Dependent no the time and could over cook.

I would stick with traditional method the first time because you will have more room for error.

Quote:

Does anybody here also rub on butter?
This. i use a wet rub before cooking and when finished will melt cubes of butter over the roast and place it back in the oven at a high temperature. Makes the outside of the roast amazing.

bcrdukes 10-13-2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 7613575)
I live in a fairly new apartment with a pretty good/new oven, but no idea how well it retains heat.

might give the "serious eats" method a try.

For the most part, it should be pretty decent.

The second time I cooked it, it was at a friend's condo with a 2 year old stove/oven. The heat retention was a heck of a lot better than the one I have at home which lost a lot of heat. Mind you, the oven at home is over 20 years old so it's safe to say that in itself contributed to an undesirable result.

Only way to find out is to do it and post pictures! :D

skiiipi 10-13-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottsman (Post 7613638)
Everyone has different methods for cooking food. No one way is better as each chef/cook will have a method they think works best.

My issue with method X would be that if the time is incorrect then you are shit out of luck because you have just let your roast sit in an oven for however many hours while the heat gradually drops. If you under cook it then at least you can turn the oven back on to finish it off however it would then defeat the purpose of that method. On the other hand if you keep opening the oven to check if it is done then you will lose heat each time. Dependent no the time and could over cook.

I would stick with traditional method the first time because you will have more room for error.

This. i use a wet rub before cooking and when finished will melt cubes of butter over the roast and place it back in the oven at a high temperature. Makes the outside of the roast amazing.

I will definately be using my probe thermometer regardless of the method I use, to monitort he internal meat temp. The traditional method definately seems like the safest, but now that I've been introduced to method "y" (the serious eats method), it seems like that's to best way to ensure that the meat is not over cooked. I seem to think that it is easier to "correct" an undercooked meat rather than an overcooked meat. And it seems like the potential problem with method x or y is undercooking the meat and needing more time to cook it, while the traditional method seems to have a risk of over cooking if the residual heat ends up overcooking the meat during the "resting phase".

Regardless of which method I use, I will take plenty of pics and post back here.

Thanks to all RS'ers for the help, I knew this would be the best place to ask culinary questions!
Posted via RS Mobile

Culverin 10-14-2011 03:17 AM

Don't forget, start from room temp.
You can always give yourself lots of time. More time isn't really going to end up harming the roast. Just the heat a bit lower. I'm really slow in the kitchen and always leave my guests waiting. But a roast is one of those easier things to pull off in a timely manner provided you just started the process early.

bcrdukes 10-15-2011 12:47 AM

Oh, FYI skiiipi...

I can't cook worth shit. Seriously. But prime rib is hard to fuck up so you'll be fine. :)

skiiipi 10-15-2011 01:22 PM

Looks like I'm going to have to go the traditional way, I woke up a bit late, and I don't have enough time to let meat come fully to room temperature, right now the roast is at 50 degrees farenheit internal temp. Which is too cold for method x.

Method y seems like it takes a long time with the low temp first then sear after.

So it seems like my "safest bet" is the traditional way.

Dinner is not until 8, so I'll wait 2 more hours to see if roast will come closer to room temp.
Posted via RS Mobile