REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop

DriveSmartBC - Just Because You Can See...

Few people leave their homes without paying some attention to how they are dressed. When we use our clothing to say "Look at me!" are we really thinking about how we will appear to other road users when we are pedestrians after dark? The right choice of dress prior to your next walk in the dark could be critical!

About two thirds of pedestrian fatalities occur at night. This is probably because research indicates that pedestrians can be dangerously inconspicuous to drivers after dark. A pedestrian in dark clothing at night will not be seen in time to stop if the driver is using low beam headlights and traveling faster than 60 km/h.

We tend to underestimate that we are difficult to see in the dark. Visual recognition ability degrades rapidly with falling light levels and drivers need it to find and identify pedestrians. Visual guidance abilities such as walking through a darkened room remain effective, lulling us into thinking that we are more visible than we really are. Critically, we may overestimate by as much as triple the safe distance.

How do you increase your chances of being seen and be identified as a pedestrian? A reflective vest is better than dark clothing, but reflective material positioned at the major joints of the body (ankles, knees, waist, shoulders, elbows and wrists) is even better. This will show "biological motion" and allow the driver to decide "human" far more quickly.

Reference Links

Other Articles of Interest

Canadian Road Safety News Digest

Video - Emergency Vehicles & Roundabouts
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
+1

10x times when it's raining too. Please dress smart!

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
The first thing I noticed when driving at night here was how invisible pedestrians are. Vancouverites seem to like wearing dark coloured clothing, maybe cause it rains so much and rain coats/umbrellas tend to be dull colours, or cause many women wear black lululemon pants (not that I'm complaining ).

Combine that with Vancouver pedestrian entitlement of walking without looking, and I'm surprised there's not more pedestrians killed in this city.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I've never understood why so many pedestrians wear all black at night. Especially when they're not going to a club.. I'll admit I've almost run several people over who were dressed like this.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
The first thing I noticed when driving at night here was how invisible pedestrians are. Vancouverites seem to like wearing dark coloured clothing, maybe cause it rains so much and rain coats/umbrellas tend to be dull colours, or cause many women wear black lululemon pants (not that I'm complaining ).

Combine that with Vancouver pedestrian entitlement of walking without looking, and I'm surprised there's not more pedestrians killed in this city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
I've never understood why so many pedestrians wear all black at night. Especially when they're not going to a club.. I'll admit I've almost run several people over who were dressed like this.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...arwin_fish.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

What's worse is I've almost ran over pedestrians dressed in black on a rainy night jaywalking!
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
I subscribe to Revscene

This thread has given me an idea...

Pedestrian light belts: A belt you wear with headlamps, tail lamps and turn signals. I'm gonna make millions.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote