REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 10-16-2011, 01:25 AM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

taking chinese classes

I want to take some mandarin classes to build on my horrible broken one already. However I want to take traditional writing rather the simplified. Any recommendations?
Advertisement
w202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
hot chinese girlfriend that has really crappy english and doesnt care to learn it.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
hot chinese girlfriend that has really crappy english and doesnt care to learn it.
^i second that. Tried that once and I did learn quite a bit of mandarin. Our middle ground was cantonese but she still taught me some and I taught her some english as well. However, the relationship didn't last
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
Agreed, fob it out.

Or you can find a local language exchange / club.
Modified__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:32 AM   #5
vvd
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Step 1: enroll in Chinese class at college/uni
Step 2: learn grammar, pronunciation, + simplified
Step 3: read/study on your own to learn traditional

No point diving straight into traditional Chinese writing if your basic Chinese ain't even that great. Save yourself the torture. Build the basic foundation first. Simplified writing is becoming more and more common now anyways, it seems. Besides, it'll be pretty hard to find beginner Chinese classes that teach traditional writing for adults. You'd probably be sitting with 5 year old half pints.
vvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #6
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvd View Post
Step 1: enroll in Chinese class at college/uni
Step 2: learn grammar, pronunciation, + simplified
Step 3: read/study on your own to learn traditional

No point diving straight into traditional Chinese writing if your basic Chinese ain't even that great. Save yourself the torture. Build the basic foundation first. Simplified writing is becoming more and more common now anyways, it seems. Besides, it'll be pretty hard to find beginner Chinese classes that teach traditional writing for adults. You'd probably be sitting with 5 year old half pints.
OP wants to learn traditional Chinese and not simplified. Learning simplified Chinese first isn't the basic foundation, and it won't help OP in learning traditional at all. Most people who are good in traditional Chinese can usually read some/most simplified. However, it doesn't work the other way around.
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:05 AM   #7
vvd
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gYU View Post
OP wants to learn traditional Chinese and not simplified. Learning simplified Chinese first isn't the basic foundation, and it won't help OP in learning traditional at all. Most people who are good in traditional Chinese can usually read some/most simplified. However, it doesn't work the other way around.
By basic foundation I meant the grammar, pronunciation, ping yin, etc. (OP said his mandarin is broken). I suggested this because, like I said, I personally don't really know of any traditional Chinese classes for adults (the ones that I do know of are not only for kids, they're also taught in Cantonese). I suggested this because this is how I learned and it worked for me. I'm Canadian. I was born, raised, and lived here all my life and I haven't visited Asia in almost 10 years. I'm currently at the point where I can read menus, signs, and most subs when I'm watching a TV show or a movie. The reason why I haven't gone any further is because I lack the motivation to learn more.

Take from it what you will. Anyway, good luck, OP.
vvd is offline   Reply With Quote