REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Intermittent Fasting/Body Recomp Discussion Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/655745-intermittent-fasting-body-recomp-discussion-thread.html)

sonick 10-18-2011 08:17 AM

Intermittent Fasting/Body Recomp Discussion Thread

So it looks like a lot of people in the workout/training discussion have been doing Intermittent Fasting, including the big guys like Penner2k (who did it to prove somebody it wouldn't work, but it did work!)

Since it's worked well for me and others, thought it would be good to have a thread to discuss it and for any others who may be interested in learning more about it and trying it out.

Would be great to hear your experiences with IF, your feeding schedule, macronutrient targets, etc.

Some basics...

What it is:
The basic idea of Intermittent Fasting is scheduling your calorie intake to a limited amount of time in the day, ideally when you are most metabolically active. More advanced body recomp programs feature IF aspects but also carb and calorie cycling.

What it does:
The goal of this is to cut fat but at the same time maintain/gain muscle, to 'recompose' your body. You can vary the caloric intake and macro-nutrient ratios to cater it more to weight/fat loss or weight/muscle gain.

A few resources

#1. Martin Berkhan's Leangains Guide:
This is a great starting point for people looking to get into IF. What I really like about his philosophy is that it is not super strict with limiting the types of food you eat; timing is more important. This makes it easier to stick with vs. strict dieting, and so more effective and easier to maintain in the long run.

The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
http://doubleyourgains.com/musclebui...oach_Final.pdf

#2. Lyle Macdonald's Body Recomposition Ultimate Diet 2.0
This is a much more hardcore program compared to Leangains featuring much stricter macros, and designed for those with low BF% wanting to get to extreme single digits. It features intermittent fasting plus carb cycling and re-feeds. Example of calorie/carb cycling: huge calorie deficit on 4 days (~1400 cals, low carb high fat), one huge calorie re-feed (~5,000 cals, high carb low fat), and two maintenance days (2000 cals, moderate carb/fat) He also has a few less hardcore programs as well.

The Ultimate Diet 2.0 by Lyle McDonald | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
TESTOSTERONE NATION | Lyle McDonald's Ultimate Diet 2.0 - Page 1

SkinnyPupp 10-18-2011 10:23 AM

John Berardi just published a HUGE book on his experience with IF over 6 months. Yup, the guy who usually recommends high frequency meals...

did he like it?

Intermittent Fasting: Summary: All About Intermittent Fasting, in Under 10 Minutes | Precision Nutrition

Before:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/in...-before900.jpg

After:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/in...B-after900.jpg

I'd venture to guess that he did ;)

gdoh 05-10-2012 06:38 AM

buuump

i has question

so on tuesdays and thursdays i start training at 715 and dont get home till 930/10pm then get ready for bed, is it ok to eat that late and how long should i wait to sleep if i eat that late??

SkinnyPupp 05-10-2012 06:58 AM

Yes its fine to eat that late. Just time it so you eat later the next day. You can sleep right away

DaFonz 05-10-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 7618756)

#2. Lyle Macdonald's Body Recomposition Ultimate Diet 2.0
This is a much more hardcore program compared to Leangains featuring much stricter macros, and designed for those with low BF% wanting to get to extreme single digits. It features intermittent fasting plus carb cycling and re-feeds. Example of calorie/carb cycling: huge calorie deficit on 4 days (~1400 cals, low carb high fat), one huge calorie re-feed (~5,000 cals, high carb low fat), and two maintenance days (2000 cals, moderate carb/fat) He also has a few less hardcore programs as well.

The Ultimate Diet 2.0 by Lyle McDonald | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
TESTOSTERONE NATION | Lyle McDonald's Ultimate Diet 2.0 - Page 1

Is UD IF though?

Other things to add:
RippedBody.jp | Intermittent Fasting guide & Training guide to your dream body.

Eat Stop Eat.

gdoh 05-11-2012 07:50 AM

what do you do for cheat days?? do you break the fast or keep it with in the same time of your regular eating?? i like to cheat on saturdays ahah in the morning with coffee and cream and maybe some other stuff

SkinnyPupp 05-11-2012 09:06 AM

If you are fasting, you won't feel the need for cheat days

DaFonz 05-11-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdoh (Post 7915550)
what do you do for cheat days?? do you break the fast or keep it with in the same time of your regular eating?? i like to cheat on saturdays ahah in the morning with coffee and cream and maybe some other stuff

You dont cheat.

gdoh 05-11-2012 10:07 AM

:okay:

hal0g0dv2 05-11-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7915611)
If you are fasting, you won't feel the need for cheat days

Qft

DaFonz 05-11-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdoh (Post 7915658)
:okay:

Might want to read this:

Cheat Mode: The Official Guide

It feels pretty awesome pigging out after a workout.

SkinnyPupp 05-11-2012 08:04 PM

Not eating all day, having a crazy intense workout followed by cardio, then only having some whey before you finally eat at 4-5pm... Your brain releases as much Dopa as it naturally can without drugs, and it feels AMAZING. And it does this without needing to be junk food...

My favourite post afternoon workout meal and first meal of the day is vietnamese lemon grass chicken and vermicelli with a grilled lemon grass pork chop. It's probably 1500 calories and 100g protein right there. And after I finish eating I just sit there and enjoy the high, it is so nice.

And by that point, I am already up to 150g of protein, so only need one more meal to hit my goal of 200+

woob 05-29-2012 06:30 PM

I love IF, personally. Super easy to keep calories in check since it is extremely hard to overeat in an 8-hour window.

I usually go keto on rest days, and carb backload on workout days.

And junk food is awesome (sometimes).

SkinnyPupp 05-29-2012 09:05 PM

Yup same here, it's pretty easy when you get used to it. Macros are so much easier when you only eat 2 meals :lawl:

It's also much easier to get in 200g of protein per day.

instantneedles 07-03-2012 09:19 AM

does bulking and IF come hand in hand?

penner2k 07-05-2012 08:53 AM

With my work schedule now I have started doing 2 meals a day.
I break my fast at noon at work. Then nothing till 6:45 after the gym. That meal is huge. Where I work has amazing deserts though so that ends up being a meal on its own.. lol

Very slowly creeping my weight back up right now (if I average it over the week its maybe an increase of .25 lbs)..

penner2k 07-05-2012 08:54 AM

btw... lol @ me being one of the big guys

vafanculo 07-10-2012 03:31 PM

Started IF today. With my schedule, I finish my workout anywhere between 10am to 1pm, and I've timed my meals where I eat between 2pm and 10pm. Is it ok to have a protein shake say, at 10am after my workout, or is that considered breaking the fast?

instantneedles 07-10-2012 05:12 PM

^a post-workout recovery protein powder should be incorporated somewhere in your workout whether it be before, during, or after. it was mentioned in one of the articles that its actually recommended for you to be getting your protein intake during that time so that you don't overtrain your muscles. As long as its not a high calorie weight gainer id say go for it..

thegentleman 07-20-2012 01:24 PM

leangains vs. eat stop eat?

Any significant differences other than the period length of fasting?

vafanculo 08-31-2012 07:00 PM

Just want to bump this.. Anyone keep IF up and see good results?

I know I posted above that I started, but due to an often changing schedule, I fell off the wagon. Been on it for a week steady now, and plan to keep it up.

I'm doing just the diet portion though. Anyone doing both? How's the progress going?

Edit .. Both as in diet and excersize

broken_arrow 10-06-2012 10:52 AM

Decided to try this until Christmas. Plan on eating from 11:30 am till 7:30 pm, and fasting the rest of the time. Quick question though, if I was to have a coffee before 11:30 am with a dash of coffee cream, would it mess up my fast or that would be insignificant?

vafanculo 10-06-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broken_arrow (Post 8048292)
Decided to try this until Christmas. Plan on eating from 11:30 am till 7:30 pm, and fasting the rest of the time. Quick question though, if I was to have a coffee before 11:30 am with a dash of coffee cream, would it mess up my fast or that would be insignificant?

Nice. I been doing it for a month, love it.

You should have 0 calories. But, if I recall, Martin mentions its fine.

broken_arrow 10-06-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafanculo (Post 8048754)
Nice. I been doing it for a month, love it.

You should have 0 calories. But, if I recall, Martin mentions its fine.

Thanks. I think I will start after Thanksgiving.

triplexcel 11-05-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broken_arrow (Post 8048292)

I've doing it since march and eventually hit 197
From 230lbs. But then went back up to 205ish. Trying to get back down to 200 again while getting stronger. Feels nice to be lighter on your feet and see more shadows.
Posted via RS Mobile