REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
SiRVs up, dude

Pros and Cons : House vs. Apartment vs. Townhouse

I figure a bunch of us will be moving into this territory in the next couple years or so, and I think it might be beneficial to start up this thread and compare the pros and cons of being a property owner.

I'll list off some random info I found.. Kind of prefer to see things in this format if possible:

Quote:
3000 sq ft house - South Etobicoke (Toronto), MPAC assessment $404,000, other similar properties in the area selling for $650,000-$750,000

Gas - $185 month
Property Taxes - $300/month
Electricity - $75/month
Water/Garbage - $42/month
House Insurance - $84/month

Total Monthly Costs - $686

Quote:
900 SQFT Apartment Burquitlam (near Lougheed Mall)
Approx value $400,000

Cable: $100 / month
Hydro: $35 / month
Prop Tax: $ 140 / month
Utilities: $ 50 / month
Strata: $200 / month

Total Monthly Costs - $535
The example of the house above doesn't really make sense in Vancouver (), since properties around here really hover around 700k...

In addition I know I'm missing out on lots of crucial information here, like costs to repair a house (divided up yearly).. things like heater, a/c, roofing, gutter, etc.

After compiling all the information, I'm hoping this thread will give me (& others) a better idea of what the most economically feasible types of home ownership will be in the near future
Advertisement

Last edited by SiRV; 10-18-2011 at 10:02 PM.
SiRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

well it kind of depends what your personal preference is, for owning a house, you have the possibility of renting out the basement suites if available and be able to offset the mortgage and other expenses or have the whole house to yourself (total privacy) but you have to do the maintaining (ie. mowing the lawn, gardening etc)

if in the case of aparment or townhouse, you are living in comfort and but in a way living in a shared space (units upstairs, beside you, may not be all private) and you have to pay strata fees each month

it doesn't really matter what city you live in but here's some food for thought
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

With owning a house, I find I'm spending a lot of my days off doing house chores (e.g. mowing lawn, fixing miscellaneous things, etc).
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Unless you're in the position to buy a new house as a first property, I would buy an apartment or a condo leaving the exterior maintenance up to the strata. Even that will be a huge step in additional responsibilities from renting, I expect. Not only that, but in an older home you should expect to put approximately 2.5% of the homes total value annually into repairs. On a 700k home that's $17500 just fixing and maintaining things annually.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
RS controls my life!

With a house its up to you how much you want to spend for maintenance. Similar to cars some people do proactive maintenance on time while others are more reactive.

LOL @ 2.5% rule. I spent under 1000 on my house last year.
Posted via RS Mobile
Wetordry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

2.5%? Where'd you get that number? Sounds like one heck of a lemon..

I've spent a few thousand dollars this year so far and it was on unexpected items like a failed gas valve in the furnace..

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

^There are some one-time expenses like when I got my roof replaced a couple years ago. Also, my garage door needs to be replaced, fence needs to be repaired, house needs to be painted. My house is almost 30 years old though

Oh...and I find houses tend to have a lot more spiders than an apartment, lol
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetordry View Post
With a house its up to you how much you want to spend for maintenance. Similar to cars some people do proactive maintenance on time while others are more reactive.

LOL @ 2.5% rule. I spent under 1000 on my house last year.
Posted via RS Mobile
this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonka View Post
2.5%? Where'd you get that number? Sounds like one heck of a lemon..

I've spent a few thousand dollars this year so far and it was on unexpected items like a failed gas valve in the furnace..

I found the rule online when I was researching the costs of owning a home, since I'm considering buying in the spring. I would consider it accurate for an older home, which is likely what a first time buyer in Vancouver would have, and I have a construction back ground so I'm not out to lunch on the cost of major maintenance.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Jermyzy is right. ur strata fees is lower in townhouse compared to condo, cause when ur hot water heater fucks up, u pay , condo u dont.,, and same with house. no strata rules in a house, remodel anytime u please. etc

all in all it depends on ur lifestyle. but if u are looking for value, nothing beats house. (higher return on investment)

if i had the $ i would have bought a house over condo :S
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
SiRVs up, dude

I'm guessing in terms of ROI, a townhouse is still > than a condo?

I want to be able to maintain a lifestyle where I can still travel 2-3 times a year and not live off of bread and water, losing half my paycheque trying to pay off my mortgage over 30 years+tonnes of unexpected expenses
Old 10-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #11
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

The real question is should you even buy a property. When I bought my first condo downtown victoria. I didn't even live in it. I found that at that time it was cheaper for me to rent a place then to live in the condo I own. Also like everyone else was saying about random costs. My other condo that I live in now (I own two condo's) only after 5 months of living in it I had to replace the washer and dryer (which where only 4 years old!). So owning is very expensive keep that in mind.
Wild_Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
^There are some one-time expenses like when I got my roof replaced a couple years ago. Also, my garage door needs to be replaced, fence needs to be repaired, house needs to be painted. My house is almost 30 years old though

Oh...and I find houses tend to have a lot more spiders than an apartment, lol
THIS.
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

When you buy a house, you can rent out the basement or some rooms. This will lessen your burden and it should pay for the upkeep of the house
Posted via RS Mobile
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:39 AM   #14
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
condo pro: you can have an awesome view if you're high up like 25 stories or higher somewhere. to me it's very important.

house: you can possibly design your own everything.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Townhouse/Duplex con: Your neighbors can go into their attic and cut open the firewall into your attic and live there. True story.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:26 PM   #16
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Townhouse/Duplex con: Your neighbors can go into their attic and cut open the firewall into your attic and live there. True story.
That is funny you mentioned this because I heard it from several different people before. That would be pretty scary and who knows maybe they can even come down and steal your stuff while you are out..LOL!!

It all depends on your budget!! Buy a house if you can afford it. If not, settle for a nice condo where you don't have to worry about mowing the lawn or replacing this and that. Most new condo's these days have great facilities such as swimming pools/sauna/steam room/work out room/and recreations room.
ed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

Based 100% on financials, a house is always the best purchase provided the land is owned and not leasehold.
jameswift is offline   Reply With Quote