REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
HIDs... do the police actually care? (if so, how to report serious offenders?)

This is a question regarding Aftermarket HIDs shoved into STOCK reflector style headlight housings.

I was driving down Blundell tonight. Wet and rainy.

I was stopped at a redlight, and a pickup truck (current gen F-350) stops in front of me (opposing traffic). It's lights were super bright HIDs (had the blue hue, pretty badly aimed and in stock housing). It was so bright I thought the driver might have accidentally turned his/her high beams on. So I give the usual flash of mine to give a heads up.

Low and behold, the driver reacts in the following manner:
Turns on the rest of the lights ensemble - bumper fogs (matching HIDs... also very poorly aimed... seemed to be aimed up for the most part), as well as the actual high beams (which were probably stock from the yellowish tint).

As the road surface was already pretty glossy from the rain, it reflected light up at my little sedan (compared to a F350) like no tomorrow.

Hell I still have the light burn in my left eye (ie: my eye is kind of screwed up right now... i'm seeing a huge white spot on the side of everything)

Can I actually report these people given that I have their license plate? Little civics are bad enough with poorly aimed stock housed HIDs, but pickup trucks with the full schebang is just taking it to a whole new level.

TIA
Advertisement

Last edited by CP.AR; 10-19-2011 at 10:25 PM.
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Need my Daily Fix of RS

stupid trucks with hids, no respect for other people.
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I think that everyone has really bright headlights now a days. I literally get blinded by every single oncoming car. All the new cars now have extremely high output lights so I'd say its normal.
lowda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
its really dangerous, if people can get hid's on their car it should be mandatory for them to get them properly aimed and get projectors.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowda9 View Post
I think that everyone has really bright headlights now a days. I literally get blinded by every single oncoming car. All the new cars now have extremely high output lights so I'd say its normal.
Maybe your just lower then most of the cars out there? Either way it sucks driving on nights like tonight.
elcurto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
When I'm on my bike in the dark on a rainy night. If the oncoming traffic has high HID or if they are on a pickup, the reflection off the beads of light means that I might not be able to see for about 1.5 seconds or so.

It's not cool.

I don't really have a problem or with the housing. My biggest concern is when they are pointed super high (or mounted on a raised pickup).

My eye position is almost 2 feet higher than most drivers on the road, yet I'm still getting hit in the eyes bad. I just wish an officer would sit on lougheed and just hand out tickets non stop.

I figured, 2 officers, 1 week. And that should put a huge dent in the problem.

Can this be done?
Old 10-20-2011, 02:10 AM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

sometimes when they're behind me and their super bright lights reflect off my right driver's mirror and blinds me
hsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

If you had his plate, you can call it in to the non-emergency number and see if they cops will do anything.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
wing woo just gave you the correct answer. I would certainly report it as that truck is a major hazzard and is blinding every other road user. Go for it.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,158 Times in 182 Posts
um buses have HIDs in projector housings.... so bad on highway
325isMSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:19 AM   #11
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
^Yeah I've noticed this more and more lately... buses with reflector housings that have hids. Hmm how is that allowed?
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #12
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Easy...factory designed systems....not something off a shelf made?????? for a what??????
Properly designed systems are not a problem. Illegal and unsafe lash-ups are, as you have described. If I stopped it the truck would get a #1 VI and be towed from the scene. It would be irresponsible and dangerous to not do so.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #13
I STILL don't get it

I do believe that those buses had their headlights upgraded! I've noticed the hid's and the projectors in day time but damn at night they were nice. The beam was right and there was a cut off.
TrueDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #14
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Buses use high-quality projectors and the cut off is really nice. I've never been blinded by a bus. It's the rednecks and ricers with there 10000K kits.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Buses use high-quality projectors and the cut off is really nice. I've never been blinded by a bus. It's the rednecks and ricers with there 10000K kits.
Actually a 10000k kit would be quite purple and not as bad as say a 5000k one which is fairly white.
Posted via RS Mobile
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #16
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

5-6000k cops dont bother but anything over than that like 8,10,12,14000k they are illegal and u can get pulled over. my friend is vancouver police and i had to ask him first before doing something with my car.
gc200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #17
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc200 View Post
5-6000k cops dont bother but anything over than that like 8,10,12,14000k they are illegal and u can get pulled over. my friend is vancouver police and i had to ask him first before doing something with my car.
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #18
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
reallly now...
i think the aiming/cutoff is more dangerous than the colour temperature but ok...

anyways, thanks for all the feedback, especially the confirmation that I can report by zulutango

I'll probably have a car DVR up and running in the next little while.
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #19
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

GC200 has a point. 5-6000k is the usual OEM light brightness for most high-end vehicles.

at 10+K, altho NOT brighter, the colour starts getting DARKER, which is illegal when it's too blue. (higher K = bluer/purple-er colours)

I run 7000k HID's in my reflector housing in my car, but had it carefully tuned for height, and had it tested while I was in another vehicle facing it in opposite ends of traffic. It was good. No blinding, no killing eyes.

But when ppl in trucks/SUV's have their HID's pointed SUPER high, it pisses me off to no end (ESPECIALLY the asian drivers)
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
This is a question regarding Aftermarket HIDs shoved into STOCK reflector style headlight housings.

I was driving down Blundell tonight. Wet and rainy.

I was stopped at a redlight, and a pickup truck (current gen F-350) stops in front of me (opposing traffic). It's lights were super bright HIDs (had the blue hue, pretty badly aimed and in stock housing). It was so bright I thought the driver might have accidentally turned his/her high beams on. So I give the usual flash of mine to give a heads up.

Low and behold, the driver reacts in the following manner:
Turns on the rest of the lights ensemble - bumper fogs (matching HIDs... also very poorly aimed... seemed to be aimed up for the most part), as well as the actual high beams (which were probably stock from the yellowish tint).

As the road surface was already pretty glossy from the rain, it reflected light up at my little sedan (compared to a F350) like no tomorrow.

Hell I still have the light burn in my left eye (ie: my eye is kind of screwed up right now... i'm seeing a huge white spot on the side of everything)

Can I actually report these people given that I have their license plate? Little civics are bad enough with poorly aimed stock housed HIDs, but pickup trucks with the full schebang is just taking it to a whole new level.

TIA
FUCKING TRUCKs with HIDs... and its the trucks that are JACKED the fuck up...
Old 10-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #21
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
reallly now...
i think the aiming/cutoff is more dangerous than the colour temperature but ok...

anyways, thanks for all the feedback, especially the confirmation that I can report by zulutango

I'll probably have a car DVR up and running in the next little while.
yup i will not argue with the aiming/cutoff but the thing though, whatever/however aiming you do on trucks with hids it will still blind you one way or the other. theyre always gonna be higher than cars.
gc200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #22
HELP ME PLS!!!

busses now started to use LED headlights!!
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #23
I subscribe to Revscene

HID's should have never been made legal in the first place. Too many people trying to emulate the look on their cars not originally designed for it.

Trust me, I'm not fooled into thinking your 1998 Civic is a "premium luxury car" simply because you have blinding blue headlights.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #24
My homepage has been set to RS

if u get enough signature in a petition and hand it in to police hq, can it prompt the police to do anything about it??
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:37 AM   #25
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
at 10+K, altho NOT brighter, the colour starts getting DARKER, which is illegal when it's too blue. (higher K = bluer/purple-er colours)

I run 7000k HID's in my reflector housing in my car, but had it carefully tuned for height, and had it tested while I was in another vehicle facing it in opposite ends of traffic. It was good. No blinding, no killing eyes.
And still illegal. A "tamer" color may not attract attention, but aftermarket retrofit HIDs are still 100% illegal in BC, regardless of color.

gc200's VPD friend should know better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: