REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
HID's should have never been made legal in the first place. Too many people trying to emulate the look on their cars not originally designed for it.

Trust me, I'm not fooled into thinking your 1998 Civic is a "premium luxury car" simply because you have blinding blue headlights.
And if they'd never been made legal even for factory installs... you think that would stop people from doing bad blinding aftermarket retrofit hack jobs? That's illegal already, doesn't stop them.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #27
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
When they are a legal factory install (like in my MCS) they offer superior visibility and don't blind oncoming traffic. When they are not, then the problems start.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #28
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
When they are a legal factory install (like in my MCS) they offer superior visibility and don't blind oncoming traffic. When they are not, then the problems start.
The HID lights with the factory projectors in my S is amazing at night where there is little street light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #29
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
And still illegal. A "tamer" color may not attract attention, but aftermarket retrofit HIDs are still 100% illegal in BC, regardless of color.

gc200's VPD friend should know better.
yes sirrrrr no questions ask and its 101% illegal. basically, now a days if u aim ur headlights with hids higher and there is police cruiser in front and u blind them.. guess what? ur headlights just became illegal. anything unsafe that will piss them off is illegal. (im serious).
gc200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #30
RS Peace Officer

I find them very effective in heavy rain. Cuts thru and allows me to see much better.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #31
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
I had 8000hids on my truck but the ballast fell out and im going to replace them with 6000hids.
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #32

Quote:
I find them very effective in heavy rain. Cuts thru and allows me to see much better.
true. and foggy road.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc200 View Post
yes sirrrrr no questions ask and its 101% illegal. basically, now a days if u aim ur headlights with hids higher and there is police cruiser in front and u blind them.. guess what? ur headlights just became illegal. anything unsafe that will piss them off is illegal. (im serious).
Of course something that's unsafe is illegal - if nothing else, it's "drive without consideration".
Quote:
Old 10-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Of course something that's unsafe is illegal - if nothing else, it's "drive without consideration".
thank u for repeating it(something thats unsafe is illegal).
Old 10-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #35
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,174 Times in 184 Posts
busses are blinding on highway cause they keep their stupid highbeam HID reflectors on as well
325isMSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #36
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
5-6000k cops dont bother but anything over than that like 8,10,12,14000k they are illegal and u can get pulled over. my friend is vancouver police and i had to ask him first before doing something with my car.
Quote:
Quote:
thank u for repeating it(something thats unsafe is illegal).
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #37
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
And if they'd never been made legal even for factory installs... you think that would stop people from doing bad blinding aftermarket retrofit hack jobs? That's illegal already, doesn't stop them.
If they were never legal, there'd be fewer people trying to copy a look that never existed...

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #38
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
How are they in snow?

The problem with HIDs is that they need a carefully set up projector housing designed specifically for the lighting arc unique to HID bulbs. While this does help to control the extra intensity, all bets are off on wet roads where you can no longer control the scatter and reflections off the wet surface. This makes it more uncomfortable and even harder for oncoming drivers to see at night.

Then you have the colour shifting from white to blue to yellow and back again as the car follows undulations in the road's surface.

In much of the developed world HID systems are required to have levelling systems to compensate for extra weight in the back of the car, such as passengers, luggage, etc..

If the lights are so bright that they require levelling when you have people in the back seat, then perhaps they're not fit for the general public to use.

We're talking people who forget to turn their lights on/can't be bothered to signal here... you really trust them to eveluate the need for levelling based on how fat their passengers are, then apply said compensatory adjustments to their headlamps?

Old 10-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
lol. wheres the thread on that JUDGE EUGENE?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
If they were never legal, there'd be fewer people trying to copy a look that never existed...
Only one problem with that theory: even if they were completely illegal in Canada, ricers are still eager (even MORE eager) to copy style and tech from the rest of the world. In fact, that would probably make it even more enticing, as they would be "really unique" then.
Quote:
Old 10-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #41
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I don't understand why you would want them illegal if they are properly designed and from the factory?
Why would you want to go backwards and not improve something that is crucial to drive safely at night?

I have factory HID's and projectors in my S and standard halogen lights on my CRV. Driving the same stretch of road going home with no street lights, the HID's light up the road much much better than the standard lights.

Even in the rain and snow, the HID's do not blind other drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #42
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I have factory HID's and projectors in my S and standard halogen lights on my CRV. Driving the same stretch of road going home with no street lights, the HID's light up the road much much better than the standard lights.
That's because the CRV has reflector headlamps. Hard to make a good comparison.

I've driven next to cars fitted with HIDs on the freeway and the difference is minor.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:08 AM   #43
RS Peace Officer

[QUOTE=sebberry;7628365]How are they in snow?

Only drove in snow with them once after dark and they acted like they do in rain. Agree with what you said and the factory setups are designed to do exactly what you said. The MCS system has headlight washers and a leveling system that adjusts even if the driver gets out of the car momentarily. It's when somebody wants to believe that a $50 offshore bulb glued into an old halogen headlight, or a "conversion kit" that uses "approved" bulbs is just the same, safe and legal...that the problems start. To my knowledge there are no Govt approved "conversion kits" that do not come from the factory. In the US a seller is liable for a $10,000 fine per kit sold. In BC the seller could be charged under the MV Act for selling "defective parts/equipment".

Last edited by zulutango; 11-07-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #44
Banned (ABWS)

ASSHOLES, I HATE THESE MOTHERFUCKERS.

Outreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #45
I subscribe to Revscene

Now now...

Nothing wrong with that truck if those lights are used for off-road use only. The real problem is the factory headlamps are too high thanks to the lift kit and big wheels on that thing.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #46
Banned (ABWS)

Yes probably a poor example. I have just been blinded beyound belief too many times from misc trucks and SUV's.
Outreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #47
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outreach View Post
ASSHOLES, I HATE THESE MOTHERFUCKERS.

Anybody here on the way to a baseball game?
Old 11-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #48
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
wing woo just gave you the correct answer. I would certainly report it as that truck is a major hazzard and is blinding every other road user. Go for it.
Perhaps they'd even give you a cookie for being such a hero.

Last edited by ShaneN; 11-05-2011 at 06:56 PM.
ShaneN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #49
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
I wanna install big ass HIDs on my rear window to screw those who screw me over
Posted via RS Mobile
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #50
...on a mission....

Well, there are a couple of things you can do. Go get a landing light from a Cessna, mount it behind your grill...and....politely give the oncoming, inconsiderate driver the hint by giving them a quick blast! Secondly, if they are behind you....adjust your driver's side mirror so that THEIR light shines back at them!!! You be surprised how quick they get the hint!
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote