REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Conservation Ticket (https://www.revscene.net/forums/656010-conservation-ticket.html)

girlcrazy_420 10-21-2011 09:33 PM

Conservation Ticket

Just the quick story, no im not hiding anything.

A few friends and I in modified lifted toyotas went for a casual tuesday evening cruise about a hour out of town around a water resoviour. We drove around the lake and ended up getting split up on the trails, so I ended up heading into the provincial park area to see if anyone was there. My vehicle has a stock exhaust, I was driving in 2ndgear 4-low (thats approx 10-15k) and I looked around the campsite but no luck.

Anyways... a concervation officer came to my house today and told me the couple was upset with the bright offroad lights and reckless amounts of noise. I dont remember ANY amount of noise, I was tired and just wanted to go home. So now i'm stuck with a $115 ticket for something I didnt do, so obviously I'm going to dispute it. But what I dont get, is how does this officer have the rights to give me a ticket on hearsay? Its under act 18.2 under reg I think. Does ANYONE know where i can look this up?? It says disturbance of peace or something. These trails are out of city limits.

zulutango 10-22-2011 08:45 AM

There should be a regulation and specific section that he listed on the VT you got. Eg. Speed agqainst hwy sign, 146(3) MV Act. Google the act or look under BC provincial regulations/acts. Shouldn't be that hard to find.

girlcrazy_420 07-15-2012 09:18 PM

Update: I've got a ticket for disturbing the peace 18(2) I just received this in the mail...

FRR - 18(2) Unauth. entry/fail to vac. site/trail/area order

So which is it?? the bc law website is the same as the ticket but the courts document is different

BallPeenHammer2 07-16-2012 10:02 AM

dispute it.

A traffic ticket on heresay based on lights/noise, etc is not going to hold up that well in court, given that everyone's definition of "excess" noise/lights are different.

the headlights on a 2010 BMW X5 is too bright from factory. But that's just me. DOesn't mean the guy deserves a VT, u know?

Soundy 07-16-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlcrazy_420 (Post 7624154)
But what I dont get, is how does this officer have the rights to give me a ticket on hearsay?

Any member of the public can swear out a complaint for a violation. If you see someone speeding down your street, you could make a complaint if you have enough evidence for them to be served (ie. license plate).

When it comes to court though, the person who made the complaint will have to show up, or it will be tossed. Just like disputing any other ticket, it will come down to the veracity of each person's evidence and testimony. The other people would have to convince the court that they're not just whiners.

BallPeenHammer2 07-16-2012 11:53 AM

And in this case, they very well may be.

GL, OP.

Brianrietta 07-16-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

so I ended up heading into the provincial park area

Quote:

It says disturbance of peace or something. These trails are out of city limits.

What makes you think that going into a provincial park, rather than a city street, is a more acceptable place to disturb the peace?

Brad Fuel 07-18-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

But what I dont get, is how does this officer have the rights to give me a ticket on hearsay?

If some old couple saw and heard your vehicle with their own eyes and ears, then reported it to Police, that is not hearsay. They are eye-witnesses.

Gridlock 07-18-2012 09:55 AM

OP has a pattern of "the man" out to get him...landlords first, now police.

I don't know, or care if you were being excessive or not, but these types of things to keep happening. Perhaps its time to start thinking about consequences to decisions.