REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 10-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
SiRVs up, dude

Cementer needed..

Just wondering if anyone here can recommend a good cement layer?
Some parts of the ground surrounding my house are starting to 'crack' and we've been contemplating on getting someone to just re-cement the entire perimeter around our house that requires it.. any idea of costs would be appreciated too (just around 10m x 1m of space)
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2011, 02:49 AM   #2
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
I think you're going to have to elaborate on this issue.
What is the exact problem, and what are you trying to have done? And what do you think it will solve?
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2011, 03:05 AM   #3
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
All concrete cracks, but if it was laid on a poor quality base then the cracks will be especially bad and the slabs can begin to shift creating high points. I'd advice you find a good contractor who works on small jobs, this job is to small for most companies who deal strictly with laying concrete. They'll need to jack hammer out the concrete, lay a new base, form it, lay rebar or concrete mesh, then have bring in a concrete truck or a mixer. Hauling away the concrete and bringing the concrete truck in are significant expenses by themselves. If the drainage around your home is poor then that should be addressed first, because otherwise it'll just crack again regardless of the base.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
SiRVs up, dude

my house is on a hill, and I am no pro on this stuff at all (nor is anyone else in my house). But it just seems like the earth beneath us is slowly shifting downwards, and the cement portions of the cement is going down with it forcing it to crack..

My goals are to just fix the crack so that it :
1 - looks nicer
2 - stops cracking
3 - stabilizes the ground beneath (?)
4 - increase the resale value of the house so we can get rid of this sinking mother
Old 10-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Yeah, you would want to have a pro that specializes in this exact thing to come and take a look.

You never want to mess around with water flow, as the damage it can cause is extensive, especially if it starts getting into finished basements.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
At least you know that if it's sinking you don't have to deal with tree roots.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

U need someone who's specialized in foundation work. Not just cement to patch it up and call it a day.
Posted via RS Mobile
windchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
SiRVs up, dude

does anyone have any recommendations? what kind of job description should i be looking for (example of what I need help with: sink is broken.. call plumber..), who would I call?!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:56 AM   #9
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windchaser View Post
U need someone who's specialized in foundation work. Not just cement to patch it up and call it a day.
Posted via RS Mobile
A foundation sinking and needing a repair, and a slab needing repair are to very different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRV View Post
does anyone have any recommendations? what kind of job description should i be looking for (example of what I need help with: sink is broken.. call plumber..), who would I call?!
Quick google search reveals..
Concrete Vancouver Contractor | ConcreteVancouver.net

Unfortunately, I've never worked personally with concrete laying contractors, so I can't give a recommendation of a company I have experience with. Any good general contractor should be able to handle it though, they don't need to specialize in concrete.

Last edited by MindBomber; 10-31-2011 at 01:17 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Contact Tony Rodrigues with Firm Built Construction, 604-992-4690 you can tell him I referred you if you'd like.

He has many years experience with your issue, as well as framing, building foundation, new home construction, etc..

Last edited by catalin; 10-31-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: forgot to add a phone number
catalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
SiRVs up, dude

awesome. Thanks a tonne guys